Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, old member looking for advice.

About me:
Been riding for 5-6 years active.
Instuctor here in Slovakia ( no big deal:p )
180lbs currently

About my situation:
Currently I own NS evo 151 and i'm looking for second board for my quiver.
I'm looking for some allmountain board with these specs:

-mid to stiffer flex
-rocker/hybrid/flat (no camber between bindings)
-good pop (carbon or something like that in tips)
-twintip (or almost twin..no setback)
-preferably from brands that are cheaper here in europe (ride,k2,rome,nitro...)

For what I'll use this board:
Mainly for days, when snow conditions will be very nice, othewise I'll use my evo for park/butters . I dont want freeride specific deck, just something with stiffer flex that will excel on groomers and will float nicely in pow but still playfull for some butters here and there . No big lines, just slackcountry. I can hit pow in resort with my 151 evo and im having a good time, so anything bigger/stiffer will be better, i know:)

Also I'm looking for new boots. Currenty I have Salomon Dialogue WIDE, because I have really wide foot. I wanted another pair of Dialogues but I saw they are not in production anymore, any tips?

Ty for advices!

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
How are Volkl prices near you? I would look at the Spade or Riot Squad Rocker if you're looking for something cheaper...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not looking for something really cheap, just boards like NS, arbor or lib/gnu are 100+eur more than similiar boards from EU brands. (I know they are mostly from china anyway:) ) Best offers I can get for k2, ride, nitro , rome.

I did some research and boards like
K2 happy hour, K2 ultra dream , Rome mod Nitro Blacklight caught my eye.

I think best will be some stiffer freestyle jump/pipe board or freestyle orientated allmountain/freeride board.

·
Registered
485 Posts
check out the k2 turbo dream, it is less powder oriented than the ultra dream. I ride one myself and i absolutely love it for all-mountain freestyle. It's not ultra stiff, but will bomb you down the groomers and crud as fast as you want to go with confidence. I have also confidently taken this board into the park on jumps up to about 40 ft. There are a couple of good reviews on here on the TD as well (one written by myself as a matter of fact). I would consider myself fairly advanced, with 11 years of riding experience. I have the board matched up with k2 darko boots and k2 formula bindings and i can't say enough good things about this setup.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
check out the k2 turbo dream, it is less powder oriented than the ultra dream. I ride one myself and i absolutely love it for all-mountain freestyle. It's not ultra stiff, but will bomb you down the groomers and crud as fast as you want to go with confidence. I have also confidently taken this board into the park on jumps up to about 40 ft. There are a couple of good reviews on here on the TD as well (one written by myself as a matter of fact). I would consider myself fairly advanced, with 11 years of riding experience. I have the board matched up with k2 darko boots and k2 formula bindings and i can't say enough good things about this setup.
I was looking at turbo dream too, seems like board which fits my needs perfectly.
I checked offers and saw few 2012/13 for good price.Was there any major changes this year ? Should I go with last year model or its better to pay more for new?
Also how about sizing? I think 156 will be enough since I prefer shorter boards.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm curious. Why no camber between the feet?
I'm on NS rc for about 5-6 years and really like that rocker feel in presses ,ollies, float in pow and pivoting from middle when I'm riding slopes. I'm okay with flat boards , just dont prefer that camber loading.

What about my boots problem? Do some brands make specific WIDE models? Because Dialogues WIDE are discontinued I think.

·
Registered
79 Posts
-mid to stiffer flex
-rocker/hybrid/flat (no camber between bindings)
-good pop (carbon or something like that in tips)
-twintip (or almost twin..no setback)
-preferably from brands that are cheaper here in europe (ride,k2,rome,nitro...)
Sounds pretty much the same as what I was looking for. I went with the new Nitro T1: Zero camber, twin tip, mid.stiff flex. Sounds like an option for you as well.
Link: http://nitrousa.com/en-gb/board/t1

I haven't yet got my hands on it but it should be here real soon though.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Dialogues wide are still being made as they are not discontinued.
Checked salomon's official website and saw Triumph wide.
They got feature called WIDE FIT , like dialogues and synapse.
So they all are made WIDE? Because when I got my dialogues (few years ago) they made wide option and regular option. So I'm little disappointed now.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for clearing it for me. Was really confused about it.
Too bad that nobody sells wide versions near me.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I was looking at turbo dream too, seems like board which fits my needs perfectly.
I checked offers and saw few 2012/13 for good price.Was there any major changes this year ? Should I go with last year model or its better to pay more for new?
Also how about sizing? I think 156 will be enough since I prefer shorter boards.
I think the only change was they redesigned the tip and tail to make them more 'blunted' and less round. As for size I personally would go for the 159 if I were your weight. I ride the 157w I'm 6'1 165 lbs and find that to be the sweet spot for me. But it all depends on your preference and style of riding

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I did some research again and these boards caught my eye.

I checked RIDE's boards and they got some sort of micro camber between feet, I should give it a try i think.

so from RIDE:
Buckwild - freestyle board on stiffer side , maybe too soft for my style
Machete GT - another freestyle with hybrid lowrize , stiffer than buckwild
Wild life - maybe too stiff for my style also setbacked

ROME:
Mod rocker - stiff freestyle with traditional rocker
Agent rocker - similiar to Mod just with Mtnpoprocker

K2:
Turbo dream - little setback, allright stiffnes for my style i think
Ultra dream - stiffer turbo dream, i think it will be overkill for my style , bamboo core

NITRO:
Team gullwing - another stiffer freestyle board with rocker/camber

Do i get it right? What do u think guys? I wanna stay in these brands because i can get it cheap (last year or this year). Also how about that RIDE's microcamber ? Does it feel more like flat zone or camber zone?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did some research in shops around me and these last years models are in stock:

K2 slayblade 158 - 280eur
K2 ultra dream 158 - 272eur
K2 turbo dream 157W - 254eur (its wide, so i think this is out of list)
K2 happy hour 157 - 316eur
Ride wild life 158 -350eur
Flow drifter 159 -320eur

So what do u think guys? which one will be best bet?

·
Registered
884 Posts
I think the Wild Life would be good if you are ok with some setback then the Happy hour if you aren't.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Well that Happy Hour is the only twin if you're still set on that.

Honestly you don't need a twin for a bigger all mountain board and you'll benefit more from a directional or directional twin. My vote is for the Drifter. Its the closest to what you were originally looking for and a really solid deck.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Found Drifter for 270eur, I think Ill take it.

How about sizing? Should I go for 159 or 156? I prefer shorter boards but since I got 151 evo i think 159 will be better.
I'm doing weight training, I think longer board won't be a problem because for example I can squat 300+lbs . My weight is currently 176lbs , will be few lbs less..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts