Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, it's not been a fantastic year here in California but Thanksgiving weekend this year was better then January last year! I wasn't going to post any pics as they're really not so hot..... but after seeing some pics of what Colorado looks like? I figured any snow is better then no snow and I'd share some minor stoke. Note, I suck as a photographer and all I have is a crappy iPhone.

Y'all in canada and the PNW can shut the hell up about your powder! If the sierras don't see some serious snow soon I'll be headed up that way. I have the month of January off work and I will find some damn snow if it kills me.

Wedsensday sucked hard. My first day of the season and it was raining. I did two runs and said fuck this! No pix lol.

Thursday and Friday were pretty good riding. No powder but carvable hard pack and fast groomers. This dude was ripping it up, and jumping over the rocks. I wish I was as good as he was. These two are from inside the gondola :D

Good Morning!! I never get sick of this view.

Some runs on the back side....

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
On saturday I decided to skip the resort and day trip to mono lake. Did some meditation, some yoga and then got my car dirty :D

sunday I rode the back side of the mtn. Had it almost to myself. Nice spot for a smoke break eh?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Looks better than last year, heck Tahoe sucks but its better now than it was last year in january. I really hope the sierras get more snow cause I'd love to do a weekend trio down to mammoth!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
supposed to be a storm this weekend/early next week. I'm headed back to mammoth Sunday-Wed next week if anyone else is gonna be up there!

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
How about these from today. It absolutely dumped today. 3 feet of pow and still coming down. Can't believe it's still Nov!!!
christ almighty what is that? its like raining cocaine there.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How about these from today. It absolutely dumped today. 3 feet of pow and still coming down. Can't believe it's still Nov!!!
OHMYGAWD you're killing me.

OMGOOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

so the first pic is that the top of Broadway? And Pic three is chair 10, right?

DO THEY HAVE CHAIR NINE OPEN?

I guess I could go look at the website..... I could spend all day riding chair 9 (i have actually)

Are chairs 22 and 23 open!??! Is the top open??

Oh that shot of your board sunk at Mccoys!!! Fucking rad.

I'm leaving tomorrow at 3-4 am and staying until Thursday. I'd have gone up sooner but I didn't have lodging worked out quite yet. That's now taken care of for the season whew.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
christ almighty what is that? its like raining cocaine there.
here's a big pile for you.

this is from inside the bar. Too wet for action shots, sorry. not very much open today.... sun should come out tomorrow Blue skies and deep pow!

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Being from the midwest I just cant comprehend a 3 foot snow fall.
3" is a average storm here and people get goofy to ride in that.

Just another reason to try to plan a family trip to a real mountain. You guys enjoy, our local hills made as much snow as possible to see mid 50s today and possibly a high of 60 tomorrow. This could be a record temperature for December for us...

·
Banned Bananas [national phenomenon]
1,783 Posts
Damn that's a beautiful sight. Stoked for you guys to ride. Take a run for me, will ya?

Here in CNY it was raining today... not awesome.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Was on the mountain from 9 to 4 yesterday - Snowed lightly all day but winds were really bad and heavy fog at 9000 feet and above made it really tough to see. However they opened up Facelift (lift 3) at about noon and it was awesome - tons and tons of pow. Must of gone up and down that 8 times trying to improve my pow skills. High winds limited much of the mountain - I think only 4 lifts opened yesterday.

I was about to head out today but saw that only the lower gondola was open due to wind. I think they opened up two others but then closed them shortly thereafter, so only only the gondola was running! Too bad - it was snowing like crazy all day. Tomorrow is supposed to clear up - hoping for a partial bluebird day with tons of pow and more runs open.

Attached pic is at 2 pm this afternoon - big wet flakes still comin down in town. I am guessing that the mountain is getting dumped on right now. More for tomorrow!

Attachments

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was about to head out today but saw that only the lower gondola was open due to wind.

today wasn't too bad. The only thing open was lower gondola. You can always ride down to chair two lot and hop the parking shuttle back to main. A lot of people were doing that. I did a ton of laps on mambo and broadway thru the trees. Fresh tracks each time down, Ive had much windier days but visabilty was poor.

Are you riding tomorrow? I sent you my number, text me if you want to ride. wonder how long it will take for them to get everything open.

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,517 Posts
Being from the midwest I just cant comprehend a 3 foot snow fall.
Naw man,.. I remember when I was a kid in the 70's,.. We were diggin' out of 3 ft. of shit all the time! Shit,.. school didn't even close unless we got 2ft.+ overnight!!! Global warming my man,.. Global Warming! ;) :cheeky4:

3" is a average storm here and people get goofy to ride in that..
Goofy??? Hell, I was pissin' myself with excitement at the chance to get out & ride 1200 ft of man made, ice covered cement last week!!! :dunno: :rolleyes:

(...& I'm equally depressed that 60° temps F%$#ed THAT up!!!!)

·
Registered
211 Posts
This sums up the extent of the storm that hit Mammoth this past weekend.

First pic was taken at the top of Mammoth last week (11/26 to be exact). See the totem pole with the Mammoth sign on it.

Second pic was from the same place this morning (Sunday Dec 2) - the Ski Patrol person is SITTING on the pole! That's 5 or 6 feet of POW!

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
today wasn't too bad. The only thing open was lower gondola. You can always ride down to chair two lot and hop the parking shuttle back to main. A lot of people were doing that. I did a ton of laps on mambo and broadway thru the trees. Fresh tracks each time down, Ive had much windier days but visabilty was poor.

Are you riding tomorrow? I sent you my number, text me if you want to ride. wonder how long it will take for them to get everything open.
Didn't get your message or number? I'll be on the mountain tomorrow early!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Didn't get your message or number? I'll be on the mountain tomorrow early!
I'll pm you here. Bummer we didn't get to ride. this is probably my only trip to mammoth this month but I will be here lots in january if you're coming back.

Monday was great but crowded. Yesterday was fantastic!!! Today is really windy :(

edit: I just checked my messages. so sorry, I got you confused with poster who I did send my number too. oops :(

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1.5 feet of pow and Bluebird. Wish you guys are here.
niiiiiice!!! I am hoping to be up there next week if you're still around.

Should get in late Tue night and ride Wed and Thur!

1 - 20 of 98 Posts