Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you guys seen what they are doing? Taking peoples passes and calling the cops on pot smokers.

How do you feel about this?

I personally do not agree. I think the smokers should have a little discretion but damn man. Chill out.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
I'm fine with it, people should respect everyone around them. Maybe a little aggressive but if you wanna smoke, do it where you are supposed to. People out there are getting a little too public with it. Just walking around smoking a joint like they are smokin cigs in the 80's.

You wanna smoke it, do it somewhere that it is appropriate.... I am not against MJ at all and have smoked my fare share of weed from 8-23(hippie parents) but come on, if you want the laws to respect you, respect the laws.

Here is the link for people that don't know what it is.
http://arapahoebasin.blogspot.com

·
Registered
10,669 Posts
Putting up a front IMO. You've been able to smoke with little discretion at A-Basin for years. Just don't be an obnoxious asshole about it.

·
Registered
10,669 Posts
You also have to remember that the patience of the A-Bay patrol probably gets tested a bit in the early season. The park rats and snow brahs that will abandon A-Basin for Keystone and the like aren't the crowd that A-Basin caters to and the on-mountain staff just tolerates it for the powers that be when they invade early and late season.

·
Registered
964 Posts
He's the guy in charge and the man has a point. No doubt. Wording and tone of his blogpost leaves something to be desired. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
The guy uses the phrase "in public" quite a few times in his blog. Seems to me that that's where the problem lies.

·
Registered
964 Posts
As long as you were discreet about it, it was never a problem. Now that the shit show is in town for the next few weeks at abasin people were just getting too comfortable with smoking in the open. It's that whole group mentality.

Obviously something had to be done about it. Not sure this is the best way but probably pretty effective nonetheless.

·
Registered
10,669 Posts
Seems to me as if he's just trying to send a message. Who knows what those Keystone kids were pulling. They might've been acting like complete fucktards and blowing smoke in kids' faces in the lift lines. I think you'd have to be a pretty obnoxious dickhead to get your pass pulled for smoking weed.

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
I'm mostly just posing an argument. If a hill says no smoking, thats their prerogative and I'm not here to argue, regardless of who the "land" belongs to or whatever. I'm just talking about human freedoms, shit this country was based on.

Where do we draw the line? It is ok for kids to smell cigarettes but not weed? Sorry disagree. The law may be "NO in public" but it isn't right any more than it was when it was illegal (i'm suggesting a flaw in the law omg)

Again people being conscientious would be great and all, but we could use thicker skins too, and be a little more generous with the handies, this being my main point as I'm on a shortage of handies lately (I think we all are, I mean really)

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Seems to me as if he's just trying to send a message. Who knows what those Keystone kids were pulling. They might've been acting like complete fucktards and blowing smoke in kids' faces in the lift lines. I think you'd have to be a pretty obnoxious dickhead to get your pass pulled for smoking weed.
He updated the blog again, gave a little more insight into why, although nearby is a bit vague.

Regarding the guys who lost their passes, my comments were a bit heavy. When I came upon them they were smoking a joint at the top of the lift with a bunch of kids nearby. I think most people would agree with me that they needed to go away for a while.

·
Registered
10,669 Posts
I doubt much has changed from the resort perspective. It's pretty much always been out of sight, out of mind. Hell, even more relaxed than that. Pretty much just don't be an obnoxious asshole about it and out of mind. I'd be willing to bet that Amendment 64 is turning a lot of the younger generations into being an obnoxious asshole about it. I mean, if someone is chugging liquor in the lift lines and causing a scene there will be an issue with that too.

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
I doubt much has changed from the resort perspective. It's pretty much always been out of sight, out of mind. Hell, even more relaxed than that. Pretty much just don't be an obnoxious asshole about it and out of mind. I'd be willing to bet that Amendment 64 is turning a lot of the younger generations into being an obnoxious asshole about it. I mean, if someone is chugging liquor in the lift lines and causing a scene there will be an issue with that too.
Damn right linville. They will throw your ass out for drunk riding or obnoxious drinking. It happens.

The younger generation. A bunch of them are fucktards for sure. I was at a bagel shop I'm Denver earlier this summer amd some 18-20 something dumbass had a bong on a necklace. Shit like that is why you are seeing the other side trying to figure out how much they can limit it.

I am perfectly fine with Al's actions. The fact is they were not using it in a legal fashion and were being dumbshits about it.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I don't live/ride out there so I can't make a case for/against what happens out there.

My perspective, I have seen guys smoking at my little local Midwest resort on the hill or lift or half ass in the tree line just off the run.
I want my 17, 16 yr old boys and 14 yr old daughter to stay away from drugs and kids that use them. I hate explaining what they are doing and how wrong it is. When I have to I take this as a teaching moment and try to let them know this isn't a good choice for them.
If I can see them smoking, other parents can as well, and what if even younger kids see this going on.

If you can see us, we can see you. Go to your car, deeper in the woods or where ever you have the "least" chance of being caught or seen by others.

Yes I was a kid but never started young and it didn't last long.
Now as a parent times are so different with so many issues it's harder and harder to keep kids on the correct path.

Again just a parents perspective.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
I'm with Slyder on this one. Do what you want, but don't make it my issue. And if you can't help yourself or control your behavior when you're lit, then you're likely one of the people that shouldn't be using.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Slyder,

Let me play devil's advocate for a second. Would you feel the same need to shelter your 17, 16, and 14 year olds from seeing people drinking? There is a lot of places where drinking in public is illegal, dontcha know.

·
The Rooster King
3,821 Posts
I want my 17, 16 yr old boys and 14 yr old daughter to stay away from drugs and kids that use them. I hate explaining what they are doing and how wrong it is. When I have to I take this as a teaching moment and try to let them know this isn't a good choice for them.
there are alot of problems for you with this statement.

first of all - smoking pot isn't a good choice; how? i can assure you that plenty of the most successful people in our society smoke pot on a regular basis. health concerns? there is literally no evidence that cannabis does anything except cure/preemptively fight cancer.

you hate explaining shit to your kids? bummer for them.

at 17/16/14 100% some of their friends have/do smoke weed/drink alcohol even if they don't themselves. even without knowing your kids i would doubt, statistically, that none of the 3 have got high or drunk. if they haven't yet there is a very very good chance at least one if not all 3 will within the next 5 years.

so, just how "wrong is it" to smoke weed? i have to lmao when i hear that kind of bullshit. its just ignorance frankly. for the most part any of the negative things related to cannabis are directly related to the bullshit laws trying to prohibit it and legislate people's lives.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts