Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been thinking about getting a new pair of boots on the stiffer end of things. I've already got a pair of Burton Ambush that are a good fit and I enjoy them. I'm thinking about the progression of my riding and what I want to do this season and getting a stiffer pair of boots seems like a good idea. Having some good tread on the bottom for any hiking and anything else would be nice since the tread is terrible on the ones I have. I tried on a pair of Ions at the end of last season and they felt great.

My feet are between a 12 and 13 and a little wide. I generally wear 13 in everything and my Ambush are 13's and fit well. I tried on some Rulers (a narrower boot) when I bought the Ambush and they weren't nearly as good a fit. It's usually a hassle tying to find boots in my size locally, even with our big selection but I figure if I get on it early and shop around I might do well.

Anyway, the Ions look like really killer boots but is there anything else I should be looking at? I'm wanting to get some higher end boots for everyday freeriding and splitting. Some of the other ones that have looked at online were the DC Travis Rice. I also looked at K2 and Solomons but it seems like I'd like the T Rice more. I'm a little worried they'll be too stiff. The Ions are a little softer on ratings. Do the DC have the shrinkage tech as well?

Anyway, I figured I'd ask if anyone has any ideas. It'd be nice to try something out other than Burtons.

Thanks.

·
Registered
884 Posts
i really like my ride rfl's they were pretty stiff at first but after about 4 days broke in and have held up really well for about 20 days so far. They have shrink tech and are in fact really fuckin light. no weird pinch points and have good heel hold without mashing on the laces.

·
Registered
919 Posts
When you look at the size of boots look for it to be 30.5 mondo/JPN size. that will give you a better guide of fit. (I have the same size foot as you it is a pain in the ass) Brands that make boots that "fit" deeluxe, salomon, nitro, burton, northwave. Might be one or two more but most boots go from 30 at size 12 to 31 at size 13 and dont make a 12.5 (30.5) burtons size 13 boots happen to be sized to a 30.5

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool man. That's a good idea. I definitely noticed the differences in all the different sizes around the world, just never put two and two together to check where it falls exactly international-size wise when I got a real nice fit.

I believe my feet are 13D (just under, of course) as measured on a machine. An old friend of mine has EEE feet... not the kind of E's you wanna have!

I'm just thinking who makes a really nice boot that has what I want, then I'll try 'em on and deduce what's the best to to with. Figured I'd ask here.

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
For hiking and splitting look at the SLX instead of the Ion. Those activities tend to wear out boots without an articulating cuff much more quickly and the SLX is the only Burton boot with a proper articulating cuff.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
I didn't find the Ions to be as stiff as they claim on their scale but nonetheless was a great boot. The K2 Thraxis might be worth looking into if you like boa or the Salomon F4.0 or Malamute if you prefer speedlaces.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hktrdr - good point! I noted the DC's have an articulating cuff as well but wasn't sure of the significance. I looked at K2's and Salomons more and it looks like it's down to the DC's or the SLX. SLX is a hell of a boot from the looks of it, but so is the DC. I'll have to get out to the shops soon and make a decision quick!

I'll just be getting into splitting and that this year, no idea how much I'll be doing it, but may as well get the right tools for the job!

Thanks dudes.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Fuck, thanks buddz! I might still check out the DC and SLX but I'll buy those for sure!

Opening day, there's a beer with your name on it!

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
Fuck, thanks buddz! I might still check out the DC and SLX but I'll buy those for sure!

Opening day, there's a beer with your name on it!
Copy that.

I might need you to grab me a pair of boots from whissy, if ya don't mind?

Hoping the dude will hold them until someone(hopefully you) can get up there.
I'm imagining you'll be hitting opening day?

TT

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Flow hylite or talon are the best boots I've tried. Talon are just a tad bit stiffer. I have over 100 days on my hylite boots including hiking, snowshoeing and now skinning. Still solid boots. I'll buy another pair in January.

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
Flow hylite or talon are the best boots I've tried. Talon are just a tad bit stiffer. I have over 100 days on my hylite boots including hiking, snowshoeing and now skinning. Still solid boots. I'll buy another pair in January.
I've never seen flow in any store up here, wtf:dunno:

TT

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TT - I'll be hitting opening day at Whis and Cypress for sure man. No problem, anything you need just gimme a shout. Too bad that dude isn't replying to my email about those boots. There's an ad a couple weeks older on Craigslist, looks like the same guy... 'cept there's a phone number on that one. Might give 'em a ring and see.

Went down to W 4th last night. Basically no boots in sz 13, even this early in the season. Pacific had the SLX in a 12, didn't bother trying. Would rather compare with the 13 back to back. Only one shop had the DC T. Rice, in 4 sizes - up to 11.

Looks like I'm goin' to Seattle! At least I can pick up a Skunk Ape and get the split started!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...and yeah, like Timmy said - pretty much just Vans, Burton, and a few other brands on the shelves up here. Not much brand variety.

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
TT - I'll be hitting opening day at Whis and Cypress for sure man. No problem, anything you need just gimme a shout. Too bad that dude isn't replying to my email about those boots. There's an ad a couple weeks older on Craigslist, looks like the same guy... 'cept there's a phone number on that one. Might give 'em a ring and see.

Went down to W 4th last night. Basically no boots in sz 13, even this early in the season. Pacific had the SLX in a 12, didn't bother trying. Would rather compare with the 13 back to back. Only one shop had the DC T. Rice, in 4 sizes - up to 11.

Looks like I'm goin' to Seattle! At least I can pick up a Skunk Ape and get the split started!
You didn't grab those? I clicked the link the next day & it had been deleted, thought it must have been you?

But I guess @ that price, they weren't gonna last long.

Hopefully buddy doesn't sell the boots. Hmm....
Let me try sumpin:icon_scratch:

TT

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was looking at it yesterday and it was still up then. Just checked now and it's down. Hmmph.

There's still that other one, I'll give him a call maybe. Still probably end up going to Seattle to check those other anyway.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
I only realized Flow made boots last season when I saw them on a shelf at REI while I was trying on boots (turns out they've been making them since the late 90's). Since I have such a strong dislike for Flow bindings, I never even considered it, and ended up getting the 686 x New Balances. Even though I'm normally not discriminatory with boots at all (I've owned the Ion and Imperial despite avoiding most things Burton) I was selling myself short here. I was helping my gf find new boots yesterday afternoon, and decided to try on the Flow Hylite while we were at REI. I bought it right then and there...in fact I'm wearing them in the living room as I type this now. It's ultra lightweight, great cushioning, dual boa, one-pull speedlace liner, nice materials with potential blowout stitching and grippy vibram outsole. The Hylite is a relatively stiff boot, and the Talon is even stiffer on the scale, so it should be a perfect substitute to the Ion, and $50 cheaper to boot (pun intended).

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
I only realized Flow made boots last season when I saw them on a shelf at REI while I was trying on boots (turns out they've been making them since the late 90's). Since I have such a strong dislike for Flow bindings, I never even considered it, and ended up getting the 686 x New Balances. Even though I'm normally not discriminatory with boots at all (I've owned the Ion and Imperial despite avoiding most things Burton) I was selling myself short here. I was helping my gf find new boots yesterday afternoon, and decided to try on the Flow Hylite while we were at REI. I bought it right then and there...in fact I'm wearing them in the living room as I type this now. It's ultra lightweight, great cushioning, dual boa, one-pull speedlace liner, nice materials with potential blowout stitching and grippy vibram outsole. The Hylite is a relatively stiff boot, and the Talon is even stiffer on the scale, so it should be a perfect substitute to the Ion, and $50 cheaper to boot (pun intended).

Have you tried your new booties?

I found a new pair of Hylites, but I might have to get someone to grab them for me. So, I won't get to try them on first.
$100 bucks brand new. Is it worth the risk?

How is the sizing, true to size?

I'll take any other info you got good or bad.

TT

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Have you tried your new booties?

I found a new pair of Hylites, but I might have to get someone to grab them for me. So, I won't get to try them on first.
$100 bucks brand new. Is it worth the risk?

How is the sizing, true to size?

I'll take any other info you got good or bad.

TT
It has a slightly wider toebox, not as wide as a wide Salomon boot, more comparable to 32/DC/K2/Vans boots. Lengthwise I sized down about a 1/2 size. I believe this year's is identical to last year's except for colorway. Haven't had a chance to get them on the hill yet though. For $100 you should def jump on that deal.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts