Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background: Local shop that I buy 80% of the stuff from. Our family store used to be their neighbor, so I know all the employees, their families etc. other 20% is shit they don't carry. been going there two years, brought 3-4 friends to buy their gear there, got the wife's gear there, boards waxed there (until I got my own iron this summer) etc.

I have some Flow's (that I bought there) that had an issue with the snap back. I got the warranty part from Flow and went in there just to have them look over my shoulder to make sure I don't break something. The owner tells me he'll charge me to do it. I said I'll do it, just want some professional that I can check in on if something goes bad. Nope "We're not that kind of shop" he says.

After spending thousands here, am I expecting too much to be able to work with them as professionals to learn how to do this myself?

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Eh, that's a tough one....

Technically no they don't have to help you but given the history they would be assholes if they didn't give you a hand.

I would be pissed and probably would either let them know you thought it was fucked up, or just take your business elsewhere.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eh, that's a tough one....

Technically no they don't have to help you but given the history they would be assholes if they didn't give you a hand.

I would be pissed and probably would either let them know you thought it was fucked up, or just take your business elsewhere.
I guess my gripe is that I'm paying more (knowingly) to support a local shop for just this type of thing: customer service and the relationship.

Time to just buy everything online methinks.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Ya... I understand what the shop had in mind, but they shouldn't try and get every penny they can from a core customer such as yourself.

They may be having a hard time and were simply trying to make ends meet.

Still doesn't make it right if you really have sent them so much business, assuming he knows you have.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya... I understand what the shop had in mind, but they shouldn't try and get every penny they can from a core customer such as yourself.

They may be having a hard time and were simply trying to make ends meet.

Still doesn't make it right if you really have sent them so much business, assuming he knows you have.
I've brought in all my friends personally, so he knows.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
I've brought in all my friends personally, so he knows.
That's what I was leaning on ( =

Well then fuck him man.... You don't keep core customers this way. It wouldn't have cost him anything to give you a hand.

On top of it you bought the dam bindings from him so he already got loot off you for em

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The guy sounds like a dipshit...
the funny part is I've talked to reps who've dealt with him and they have the same opinion :laugh:

i just was trying to give the local shop a chance, and looking back at it as I reply to the thread, this expereince today isn't unique and his Yelp.com review show some of it too

·
The Rooster King
3,821 Posts
just because you own a snowboard shop doesn't mean you are good for the shred.

consider when you are buying retail that it is typical for 50% or better of MSRP to be retailer profit.

this guy won't help you fix a strap - on a binding he sold you that broke - even when you have the part already??

fuck him. fuck him in his stupid fucking face

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
That is piss poor customer service. That is too bad he should have just done it for you since you have spent so much there. Let him know what you think in a polite way and then you can make your decision on if you will keep spending your hard earned cash there.

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
First off you're in the good ole U.S. A where everyone and their brother is sue crazy. Something goes wrong someone will probably sue whoever they feel is accountable for their own actions. I deal with this shit on a daily basis. I get douche bag joe schmoe that comes in the shop and wants to go mount his skis using my tools and jigs all the time. Do you think I let them? Fuck no they will fuck shit up.

I actually know a shop that got sued because the guys snowboard bindings loosened up over the course of a season. Yes a fucking season. I don't blame him for charging, it was a deterent to get you to do it at home or to just sack up and pay the repair shop to do it.

It's just like when I worked in big corpo box store land we weren't allowed to touch anyones equipment without filling out a form in triplicate and if we gave them a tool we could be held liable.

Shit sucks but its the nature of this country right now. Don't hate the guy cause he's running scared look at it from his perspective.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts