Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I'm looking for a pow board that is ok on the rest of the mountain. My current stick is the k2 slayblade 2010 wich is ok for groomers and high speed runs but doesn't do my needs in powder( takes a little work to keep afloat and I get leg burn fast) and is a little stiff for my lliking . I really really REALLY like riding powder but l also want to improve more on my flatland tricks and kickers. I don't want to sacrifice neither. When pow us not available I ride groomers pretty fast.
J
I'd like to consider myself a intermediate to advanced or an advanced rider having a background in skiing since I was 5. I began snowboarding since I was 16. Now I'm 23. I didn'tride ppow in my ski days at all. I am 182 cm tall, and 69 kg with a 9, 9.5 boot.

So iI started to look for a new board that's on sale at EVO or dogfunk since they have the best outlets.

I was looking at the rossi templar, the lib la Nina or the lib attack banana.

I like the rossi but angry snowboarder said it was a little soft but ok overall. Also not so sure about pow float. There aren't many reviews...

The la Nina is the most attractive but not so sure about riding switch on it. That's my only fear fear about this board.

The attack nanner was the third board I was looking at but I read I didn't perform that we'll in pow

Another important aspect is edge hold. More than often I find myself in bad snow or hard pack or ice and edge hold is a must with capital M.

The Last factor is price and I don't want to break the 450 buck barrier and the delivery fees will be 70 bucks.

Any new sugfestions welcome and please help me decide!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Try searching there's about a dozen other threads about pow boards right now.

Anyway look at: charlie slasher, hovercraft, powder snake and sick stick; burton also has about a dozen of them in their lineup.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did search but haven't found any conclusive reviews on these specific boards. As I said they are the only one available for the price I am willing to pay and that do not sacrifice edge hold etc

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
Hello!

I'm looking for a pow board that is ok on the rest of the mountain. My current stick is the k2 slayblade 2010 wich is ok for groomers and high speed runs but doesn't do my needs in powder( takes a little work to keep afloat and I get leg burn fast) and is a little stiff for my lliking . I really really REALLY like riding powder but l also want to improve more on my flatland tricks and kickers. I don't want to sacrifice neither. When pow us not available I ride groomers pretty fast.
There simply is no board that fits all these requirements well.

The la Nina is the most attractive but not so sure about riding switch on it. That's my only fear fear about this board.
The La Niña rides switch perfectly fine.

The attack nanner was the third board I was looking at but I read I didn't perform that we'll in pow
Attack Banana is fine in powder - pretty much as good as hybrid profile true twins can be.

Another important aspect is edge hold. More than often I find myself in bad snow or hard pack or ice and edge hold is a must with capital M.
Another requirement that is if not odds then certainly unusual for powder boards...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! I know I asked something that is not specific for a pow board. I should go with two boards but I don't have the money. Maybe I'll keep the k2 or swap it for a park board or something. Anyway that's why I asked this in the first place. There are no demo boards here so I can't really test them... And in knew you guys had more experience than me with many snowboards

Thank you again!

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
If I were you, K2 UltraDream for pow and speed and a park board for everything else.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I were you, K2 UltraDream for pow and speed and a park board for everything else.
I really would too. Been looking at that board for some time now but I can't afford another board. I could keep the one iI have but I'd have to buy some new bindings and it's not really worth it. Up until now I managed to ride only 20 or less days a year on my snowboard since I was always caught up in college or stuff. Until I know for certain that i will be able to ride 30+ days a year a two board options doesn't make much sense to me. Correct me if I'm wrong

Anyway does the k2 UltraDream have good edge hold on hard surfaces? Been reading it doesn't but reviews can be subjective so another opinion is good,

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
I really would too. Been looking at that board for some time now but I can't afford another board. I could keep the one iI have but I'd have to buy some new bindings and it's not really worth it. Up until now I managed to ride only 20 or less days a year on my snowboard since I was always caught up in college or stuff. Until I know for certain that i will be able to ride 30+ days a year a two board options doesn't make much sense to me. Correct me if I'm wrong

Anyway does the k2 UltraDream have good edge hold on hard surfaces? Been reading it doesn't but reviews can be subjective so another opinion is good,
If you know how to use you edges it has plenty of grip. Its a stiffer board with full edge engagement the second you pick it up. If you were lookin something a little more playful look at the TurboDream. Is still really good in powder but will be more playful in the tips.

·
Registered
510 Posts
You're gonna gonna get back leg burn for anything w.out a lot of taper.

But I'd throw the burton root and sherlock (I haven't ridden this) in for pow boards that float like champs in pow but are great for flatland and park.

I rode the root this spring and at night and it held an edge pretty great on hard stuff and was fun in the slush and park (I suck at park, but it did flatland basic airs and switch basic airs just fine.

Another guy I (internet) know, Supra LOVEs his root as well and says it's awesome for pow.

Both can also be had for under $300 right now.

·
Registered
12,608 Posts

But I'd throw the burton root and sherlock (I haven't ridden this) in for pow boards that float like champs in pow but are great for flatland and park.

I rode the root this spring and at night and it held an edge pretty great on hard stuff and was fun in the slush and park (I suck at park, but it did flatland basic airs and switch basic airs just fine.

Another guy I (internet) know, Supra LOVEs his root as well and says it's awesome for pow.

Phony and the others recommending the Sherlock are on point. That thing destroys powder but you can still go play on a groomer or in the park with ease. Possibly one of the best Burton boards I've rode in recent years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you but I had to order something since I don't do it myself. I order thru somebody that does this regularly and it was time to do so . I had to make the decision .

After reading some more on this forum I went with the La Niña knowing its not tapered but hoping it will float better than my slayblade . I thought it was the best sacrifice between pow boards and am boards.

If I had the the money I would have gone with a Charlie slasher/ultra dream for pow and a park board for everything else , as already pointed out here. Anyway I don't so sacrifices have to be made. I'll review the La Niña when I get it although I don't have much to compare it with ( only had a Scott and the k2 slayblade ) up until now.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts

I have a Sherlock and recommend it for the OP 's stated purpose, would be a good fit. Edge hold is a little lacking but otherwise it covers the other requirements.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts