Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

After breaking my Hovercraft, I will be in search of a new split.

I need to have something that is good in diverse conditions in the ascent without sacrificing powder performance.
I loved the ride of the Hovercraft. I also have a solid Mind Expander and I have come to believe Jones base are really good.
Hovewer, Amplid boards seems great and the Millisurf might be a better ascending split than the Hovercraft.

Anyone has experience both?
An opinion between Hovercraft and Surfari solid would be helpful.

At the moment, this is between those 2 but could be be talked into the Milligram or Solution if you think they make sense.

Thanks a lot,

·
Registered
820 Posts
Sorry your Hovercraft died. I've wanted both the Hovercraft and the Surfari, but now just want a Surfari. I'd go the Millisurf route myself. Any weight savings on the way up is welcome to me. I've had a Flagship and the Pentaquark- both are great boards. The Amplid is definitely higher tech. Anti-phase is no joke. Besides, you've had a Hovercraft before, so it comes down to familiarity or something new.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry your Hovercraft died.
Thanks, worst part is I killed in a resort day...

Besides, you've had a Hovercraft before, so it comes down to familiarity or something new.
Yeah, I'd really like to try an Amplid board so I am really keen on the Millisurf.
There are 2 things I loved with the Hovercraft and hope I will get with the Millisurf. The infinite glide and even more important, the fact that I could charge tracked out heavy pow at high speed.

I am in no rush as I probably wont need a split this year so I'll wait for a good deal for now.

Also thinking about adding a freeride board in my quiver if I can find a good deal or a used board. Looking at the newer Flagship, Yes PYL or again Hovercraft or Surfari.
I really want to get the Amplid and wish we had more reviews on it.

·
Registered
8,125 Posts
I'd go Amplid...and I think they put on that new sun/temp reflective topsheet that sheds the snow on the tour up. Have you read this link

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks @wrathfuldeity.
Interesting link.

I am definitely leaning towards Amplid.
Depending on price, I may consider the Milligram. Not sure which size though, the 165 seems to be where Amolid put me at 85kgs but it gets wider at 26cm waist. i would ride that width downhill any day but not sure how harder it would be uphill compare to the next size down.
At similar deal, I would get the Millisurf.

Any opinion on how the newer version would compare to the 2017/2018 version?
I could get a good deal but it is not as wide and they made a few other changes. It used to be lighter but I am thinking the changes must improve the experience.

·
Registered
8,125 Posts
iirc Amplid beefed up the Milly construction due to some issues of folks snapping them. I'm 72kg and on a 163 diy split creamer...its holding up great despite getting hammered in bounds resort riding. And it has right around a 26cm waist...works great especially when you consider additional pack weight...so 165 seems right for you.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Having a hard time deciding...
Just missed a great deal on a Millisurf that came up today. Not sure how many boards they had but disappeared before i got a chance.
Anyway I may wait next year, Amplid is launching the Surf Shuttle which is a non carbon Millisurf so cheaper and maybe more durable.
If I get a deal, should I be worried at all about the carbon being less durable?
Here from Amplid website on the Surf Shuttle: "yet with a focus more on bombproof construction than shaving off every last milligram, "

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just bought my first split setup. I picked up an Amplid Surf Shuttle 157, Kohla skins, spark surges and canted pucks. I rode the hell out of a Surfari last year and can say that, at least for the solids, the Surfari is in a league of it's own when compared to the Hovercraft. Anyone that says they love the Hovercraft should try a Surfari and be prepared to be blown away. It rails turns and floats for days.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I just bought my first split setup. I picked up an Amplid Surf Shuttle 157, Kohla skins, spark surges and canted pucks. I rode the hell out of a Surfari last year and can say that, at least for the solids, the Surfari is in a league of it's own when compared to the Hovercraft. Anyone that says they love the Hovercraft should try a Surfari and be prepared to be blown away. It rails turns and floats for days.
How much do you weigh bro?

·
Registered
98 Posts
How much do you weigh bro?
I'm 5'9" 155lbs with my feet squeezed into a size 8 (wear a 9/9.5 in regular shoes/boots).

I will say that my first run on the surfari last season was also the deepest, most laid out carve I've ever done and it only got better from there. Love that thing on groomers and pow, but not my favorite in tight trees. That's probably personnel preference as I like a shorter directional twin or even twin in the trees. I still ride it in trees, but we have some REALLY tight ones here in Utah.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm 5'9" 155lbs with my feet squeezed into a size 8 (wear a 9/9.5 in regular shoes/boots).

I will say that my first run on the surfari last season was also the deepest, most laid out carve I've ever done and it only got better from there. Love that thing on groomers and pow, but not my favorite in tight trees. That's probably personnel preference as I like a shorter directional twin or even twin in the trees. I still ride it in trees, but we have some REALLY tight ones here in Utah.
I live in Utah also and love going into glades...so I wonder if I’m better off going with something shorter and faster turning for pow days.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I live in Utah also and love going into glades...so I wonder if I’m better off going with something shorter and faster turning for pow days.
No, this board is fine in glades and trees, but in resort I prefer something shorter and twin in trees. For a splitboard, you're going uphill way more and chasing pow so that overrides anything else for me.

·
Registered
820 Posts
That's probably personnel preference as I like a shorter directional twin or even twin in the trees. I still ride it in trees, but we have some REALLY tight ones here in Utah.
Why do you prefer twins and directional twins in the trees?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Because I like shorter boards that can be tossed around between tight trees and ridden switch through sections. I still ride the surfari and other directional boards through trees fine.

·
493 Posts

Stop it please - have a Surfari un-ridden and it's eating away at me

1 - 16 of 16 Posts