Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
But if you're at different extremes in the range, it would lead to that perception as well! But I'm stoked to see what you think once they see snow.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
I'm in the upper half for both, but closer to the centre of the range for the Surfari than for the Paradigma -- by design. If I had gone with the 159 Paradigma I would have been in the bottom half of the range. All good ;)

·
Registered
442 Posts
I’ve been raving about the Amplids I was riding the last season in some other thread on this forum, I’ve posted more feedback there but indeed it’s a great idea to have a general Amplid thread. We should have one for each brand imo, easier to google the info :)

My experience relates to Surfari 157 2017/2018 my shred friend owns and my UNW8 163 2018/2019 and 159 2020/2021 (both the newest square geometry and triax fiberglass). I’ve added Pentaquark 158 2020/2021 lately but didn’t have a chance to ride it due to the COVID outbreak. So the very next day on snow I’ll be able to compare the whole Centrifugal collection.

The quality and the customer service are indeed superb (shout out to Annette and Gregor!).

On the boards - their flagship collection are exceptional carvers. Very damp but not dead.
The UNW8 and probably the Pentaquark do have rebound but it requires much input. I have to try them next season with a narrower stance (I’ve ridden only the reference) and +/+ stance that I’ve been happy with on my Korua. No speed limit, blasting through hard chunder and moguls (if not icy) is a breeze. Excellent edge hold. You leave your wake of destruction behind. The UNW8s and Pentaquark (made in the new factory in Taiwan) are very stiff. I’d rate them both as 9/10 overall flex feel. Very stiff all the way from the nose through the tail even though the UNW8 is triax glass while the Pentaquark is biax. Just a little bit of torsional give between the bindings (the UNW8 is a bit stiffer there). A tiny flex give between the bindings. That’s all. This allows you to enjoy the board before reaching Mach 2 so you aren’t forced to charge hard only. You’ll eventually end up doing so because that’s where the Antiphase and the stiff flex shine but I’ve been riding the UNW8 also when it was getting crowded and didn’t feel like I have to change the board right now. Doable but you’ll be constantly on the hunt for some empty space to open up. Riding the UNW8 is undeniably a workout but well worth it. I haven’t ridden my Pentaquark 158 yet but by hand-flexing it is basically an UNW8 163 with a chopped tail and a longer sidecut. Same little taper, same setback, same profile, same little flex points. It is marketed as something that you put away after the early morning groomer laps but I think it’s mostly marketing. I’ve been riding the UNW8s as daily drivers and since they have so much in common I don’t believe that the Pentaquark would be harder to handle. Gonna see.

The Surfari 157 2018/2019 comes from Capita’s Mothership and has more rocker when I compare it to the beauty @zc1 has just got I can see that the camber extends past the front binding on the 2020/2021. On the previous version that I’m storing now it ends just at the insert pack. Taking into consideration that the older Surfari is still a great carver, the newest version should be even better while not compromising its great float much (slight 3D shaping). I’d rate the Surfari I’ve ridden as 7/10 flex overall with a noticeable flex point in the nose (right in the upkick part) that allows for easy nose butters. The tail is pretty stiff. Much easier to pop and handle than the UNW8. If I were to have only 2 boards in the quiver I’d definitely pick the Surfari over the UNW8 as it can be a great carver and a powder board.

Probably all that camber.

Id double check the size you bought vs the ideal weight ranges. They're not the same for every board so even though the flex rating is the same it might be at different weights for riders. That could explain the difference!
The camber always plays the part in the flex feel for sure but having UNW8 163 I’ve grabbed another in 159 (I’m 84-86 kg) expecting to lower the flex that way to 8/10 and make it more playful but honestly no difference. Both super stiff so while it was easier to spin, I’ve lost the width and the pretty good float for a full camber and didn’t find it any easier to extract the pop nor to press it. I’ve sold the 159 even though it looked so sleek. I noticed the difference in flex when I put my cousin (extra 25 kg/45 lbs) on my 163, he could definitely butter it (I can barely do so) but still he said this is aggressive and very stiff (he rides GNU RC 162W and Niche Pyre 155 daily). You can clearly exceed the weight recommendations on the Pentaquark and UNW8 and still keep them super hard carvers, not sure about other their boards. But I wouldn’t blindly trust their flex ratings and the weight suggestions. There’s no way the UNW8 is softer than the Pentaquark as the specs suggest.

What seems to be the case, based on what @GDimac and @trpa_ec have stated in the other thread and what I suspect looking at the new Surfari profile, is that the Amplids made in the Mothership tend to be a little softer.
What I’ve also noticed is that, while the edge bevel is 90/0 for any Centrifugal be it Mothership or Taiwan (confirmed by Amplid), the newest ones come new with a pretty dull edge tuning. I was seriously worried when I took out my new UNW8 157 2020/2021 for the first time and found it lacking in the edge hold while my friend’s Surfari 157 17/18 was gripping almost like my UNW8 2018/2019. I thought ‚what the hell’, my board is still more effective edge and more camber. It was a relief to find out that the edges just needed some diamond stone love. The same case with Pentaquark 158 2020/2021, I’ve already given it the sharp edge tune I like before I can even ride it.

If I were to put my flex ratings into perspective, compared to my other carvers, I’d rate them like that. It’s subjective and the on-snow feel sometimes differs but this can give some idea to compare what is very similar and what is noticeably stiffer in the given section. By nose and tail here I mean the section from the inserts to the tips so with the camber profile there.

Amplid UNW8 and Pentaquark 2020/2021
Nose: 9, mid section: 8,5, tail: 9,5. Overall on snow feel 9.

Amplid Surfari 2017/2018:
Nose: 6,5 (because of the rocker and flex point), mid section: 7, tail: 8-8,5. Overall 7.

Korua Cafe Racer 159 2019/2020:
Nose: 8 (but a little flex point at the tiny rocker section), mid section: 8, tail: 9,5.
Overall 8.

Endeavor Archetype 160W 2019/2020:
Nose: 7 (full camber), mid section: 6,5 (a lot of torsional give and the channel), tail: 7,5 (a swallow tail so again a lot of torsional flex that affects the overall flex feel). Overall 6,5.

Yes Optimistic 154 2018/2019:
Nose: 7 (the big long nose is easier to flex), mid section: 7,5, tail: 9.
Overall 7 because it’s downsized.

Some pics:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Late to this party, but I also picked up a prior season's 17/18 Amplid Surfari 157 at the beginning of the Amplid sale but have yet to ride it. This is a Mothership made one, so I don't know the difference in feel/construction between this and the newer ones (aside from the observations made above). From hand flexing the tip, middle and tail it feels pretty burly (it's also by far the heaviest in my quiver) and compared to my quiver I would add 0.5 to each flex zone ratings of the Surfari that @Yeahti87 listed above. I know partially because there is no tail, but from the rear inserts back, it is wicked stiff -- like 9/10 stiff.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I would add 0.5 to each flex zone ratings of the Surfari that @Yeahti87 listed above. I know partially because there is no tail, but from the rear inserts back, it is wicked stiff -- like 9/10 stiff.
0,5 is pretty much my ‚measurement error’. I’ve been flexing them today one by one for at least half an hour, I’ve been changing the ratings before posting several times and had to add the input from riding them in some cases e.g. the Archetype and how the flex felt on snow vs flexing it now. The upkick part on the Surfari tail has little give that’s partially butterable, that’s why I didn’t rate the flex as high as the pintail on the Korua.

Anyway, I’ve stated there that all these numbers I’ve given are subjective and someone can call a Korua 7/10 or 9/10, depending on what other boards they’ve had and what’s their scale. I could call the UNW8 10/10 but, even though I’ve had 20 + boards in the last 2 seasons, I’ve never been on some carbon Kesslers or Ride Timeless that could be even stiffer. Read it more like ‚If I rate the tail on my Surfari 9/10, I should be prepared that the tail on the Korua CR or UNW8 will be even stiffer’. Plus yours is brand new, the one that sits over here has already 10+ days full days on snow.

It is just for the perspective, more informational if I give it that way than if I’ve just said it’s ‚stiff’ or ‚very stiff’.

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
My gf came into the room during my flex test when I’m having a skype meeting at work with 6 boards around me. She didn’t say anything. I actually miss her cute and silly questions like:
View attachment 153935
My wife said to me last night, "Now you have 2 snowboards, does that mean you don't need the other one?"

The third (and final) should land today, I'm a tad nervous now.

*Actually just checked the delivery time and it's now been delayed again until the 18th :cry:
The remedy is to buy at least 6 more boards. When a package arrives, Mrs W will occasionally ask "is that my birthday present?"...it might be if you want a snowboard. She just rolls her eyes and walks away...she knits and has a closet full of yarn and stashes allover the house. Just yesterday noted that there is a big on-line sale of yarn by her favorite mill. They sell out within a couple of hours and their mill is just a few blocks away from the house. Really I had no idea that she will easily drop a few bennies on more yarn. And my question to her...Oh am I getting new socks?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Haaaahahaha she’s funny. I think I broke my wife’s will this year. Between my bike collection, paintball guns and snowboards now she just repeats what I say to the dog “ Oh your papa is getting a cafe racer? Your papa so silly right?” My dog then walks over to his collection a 67 toys like “yea more is better!”
Wait a second, are korua’s on sale too?!!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
My wife said to me last night, "Now you have 2 snowboards, does that mean you don't need the other one?"

The third (and final) should land today, I'm a tad nervous now.

*Actually just checked the delivery time and it's now been delayed again until the 18th :cry:
I feel it haha. I was snatching up used boards in my area so I could try out different tech and shapes and wound up with 5. They ended up being mostly overlapping all mountain boards so I decided to keep my favorite one or two.

She was delighted to know that I had started selling them, having posted all but one.

She wasn’t as thrilled when my new one showed up to the house after I had sold off two. Said “I thought you were selling boards, not trading!” and my response was “I am selling. And then I just happened to go buy another!”.

But she doesn’t know about the Sashimi hidden away in the basement, or the Arbor Shiloh Rocker that I might end up buying haha

·
Registered
939 Posts
Wait a second, are korua’s on sale too?!!!
No and that’s the only reason I haven’t broken down and bought it yet.

I’m doing my best to enjoy the boards I have and really unlock what they’re capable of. I think we forget that each board has a learning curve and with how much we gear whore we often never really get to untap the potential. At this point I have every board I NEED but want is another story.

...Now if that Cafe Racer goes on sale for even 5% it’s mine 🤣
On the other hand I’m also interested in @Kijima stuff but I have to send a PM. That PM is coming! I’ve just been collecting my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
...Now if that Cafe Racer goes on sale for even 5% it’s mine 🤣
On the other hand I’m also interested in @Kijima stuff but I have to send a PM. That PM is coming! I’ve just been collecting my thoughts.
Check your PMs in a second.
If your wife asks me anything I'll deny, though ;)

·
Registered
406 Posts
I used to fish a lot, mainly for Barramundi in the earlier years and later for sailfish but usually lure fishing. I've found snowboarding not too different in terms of marketing. Fishing lures were never 'really' designed to catch fish but more fisherman. I ended up with every lure you cold imagine, I couldn't walk into a fishing tackle shop without walking out with half a dozen new lures when I still had dozens in boxes new throughout the boat. Differen't colours, shapes and sizes. I don't even own a boat anymore but I still find lures new in boxes around in the shed.

Those that live close to and have pretty easy access to the snow, I can understand how you could collect and accumulate so many boards, I'm at my baggage weight limit now so won't be picking up anything new once the Surfari arrives.......well, I shouldn't anyway.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Those that live close to and have pretty easy access to the snow, I can understand how you could collect and accumulate so many boards, I'm at my baggage weight limit now so won't be picking up anything new once the Surfari arrives.......well, I shouldn't anyway.
It's excessive. I don't argue that at all.

That said, it's fun riding the same terrain on different boards, even in the same day. I can ride every day in the winter (family and other obligations permitting) since I have three local hills within 45 minutes of me. The mountains are a day trip away by car. I work hard through the spring, summer and fall (pick up work on top of my regular) so that I can cut back to 1/2-time in the winter and ride a lot through the winter.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I honestly don't want to have a ton of boards. The idea of having to think through what to ride that day is not all that appealing to me.

I also really don't like having to be tentative with a new board on the first few rides out.

I see myself having a quiver of 4-5 boards not including a split.

I picked up two more boards in the very recent past and I'm considering selling 2-3 of my boards in the winter if possible. I don't really like the idea of having boards that I don't ride often unless they're very condition specific (pow/split). If I'm not riding something in the conditions it's meant for then I obviously prefer something else.

There are times I want to try something just to see how it feels, but I'm starting to understand what I like and personally the idea of just going out to enjoy myself on something familiar is more appealing.

I also have a hard time justifying having multiple boards for the same purpose. Just going to write this out because why not:

1) signal omni 158cm
Great superlight all mountain ripper. I've enjoyed this in powder and it's a very predictable board. Has good ice hold when I clean up the edges, but does flap a little at speed.
Board was a trade I got for an old guitar and had some edge damage that I wasn't aware of at the time. Local shop said it wasn't a big deal and helped me out by clamping it, which put two dings in the base. I think they could have done a better job of it but I like the shop, they didn't charge me, and it didn't affect anything. I'd consider selling this board, but I'm thinking it's not going to sell for much with bindings because of the damage.

2) iguchi pro camber 156 cm
Huge overlap with the omni imho but I'm really excited about this. Haven't ridden it yet. I feel like it's got everything I like about the omni without a big weight penalty, but the up rise contact points and the traction bumps make me think that this would do everything the omni would do with better ice hold.
Hoping this will be a keeper.

3) Rome buckshot 151cm
Have only been on this once and it was with a broken binding strap so... Doesn't count.
Was intrigued by all the rave reviews for this and can't wait to try it out. I have a feeling it's going to be too soft for me though. Will likely sell with bindings this season after a day or two on it. Might keep it for small local mountains but... Meh.

4) signal disruptor 154cm
Picked up this beat board on local Facebook to use at the indoor place an hour from me. I can beat it up and not give a shit. Needs a base grind, an edge tune, and a wax. I'll likely not get the edge grind unless I use it often. Why? Not worth the money for indoors imho.
Might sell it but probably not. I think it would be a good indoor and small mountain board. If I take it to local small mountains I'll likely get the base grind.

5) niche ember 150cm
This is a bit strange tbh. I meant to buy the pyre and it was sold out after purchase so they offered the ember to me at a discount because their inventory was whack. They offered me next year's pyre as at a discount but I don't like the graphic. The ember is the same exact board except a little softer so I'm not really sure what to think, but I think that it might be a really fun pow/tree/carving board. Has the traction bumps so should have good grip for carving up groomers. I'm also going to be 10-15lbs lighter when I get back on snow so I think the softer flex might actually be an advantage here.
Will likely keep unless I find a better powder board or just don't like it for some reason.

6) signal yup 153.5 cm
I really love this board as most of you know, but there's definitely a weight penalty. This is the board I'll grab when I just want to go out and enjoy myself. Some trees some groomers some harder runs. Great on just about everything except on icy days. I'll likely grab the ember if I want to be playful and it's more icy out.
I feel like this board is great for my personality and I'm actually looking forward to testing it in deeper snow with the bindings set back an inch or so. If I ever sell this, it'll be too replace it with another s camber board with the same personality and lighter weight. I'm hopeful signal will have that out in a few years when I'll consider retiring this.

There are zero conditions where I think the boards above will be out of their element and a hindrance to my progress. I have no interest in a rocker board, 3bt, or magnetraction at this time but I'd love to try all of those as well as a crc board just to try out. Not interested enough to buy one though.

I'll hold out for a split till I feel it's more appropriate or I meet people that are into it and want to go on trips together. My gf and I are in for a rough year next year so that's probably not going to happen. The only thing I'm remotely interested in right now is the niche maelstrom for next year because it'd be a stiffer 'yup' style board. That will likely only be a consideration if I feel the ember is better for the conditions I like the yup in and I decide to sell the yup or if I maybe sell the omni and want to replace it with a directional freeride instead since the guch is solid. Not really on the agenda tbh, but I love the clean graphic for next year's model. I'm also really impressed with niche as a brand because they've had rave reviews and seem like nice people. I told them I was looking at the sonnet for my gf and they threw it in at a discount. The kicker? They sent it off with my ember before I'd even paid for it because they wanted them to go together. I really appreciated that trust. My gf loves her flying v burton board and off handedly mentioned that she found the edge hold on ice a bit challenging. I think she'll love the magnetraction on it!

Re amplid. I loved the penta and I'm super curious about a lot of their boards but I feel like better/equivalent boards for things like the creamer and the paradigma. I'd love an unw8 but it's cost prohibitive. I have a feeling my amplid purchase is going to be an impulse buy... I'm actually intrigued with nitros use of their tech since it'll be easier for me to get my hands on one of those!

I'm glad I held off on the paradigma and lovelife because the niche boards were a way better deal.

I know I'd be fine with 2-3 boards. Hell id probably be fine with 1! But man... Boards store too damn easily, esp compared to bikes lmao.

That's that. Yes, I was bored lol.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts