Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Interested to hear how the Iguchi Pro compares to the Omni when you get a chance to ride it.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
I honestly don't want to have a ton of boards. The idea of having to think through what to ride that day is not all that appealing to me.
I also have a hard time justifying having multiple boards for the same purpose.
It's like the old joke: "Q: What's the definition of an alcoholic?" and "A: Anyone who drinks more than I do."

The guy with no boards and no interest in snowboarding will question why you need a snowboard at all. The guy with only one board is going to question why you need 5, and the guy with 5 will question why anyone needs 10, and so-on...regardless of how you choose to justify it. I'm guessing that 5 years ago you didn't see yourself having more than one board. Means change, interests change, circumstances change. The funniest instance of this was my neighbour, who has a "wall of (air) guns" in his basement, asked me why I have so many snowboards, because "aren't they all the same?" I just stared at him in amazement for a moment and told him, "No, they all ride very differently from each other. Even the ones that are for the same purpose, like riding powder." I didn't even bring up the air gun question. Just wasn't worth it. I wasn't going to teach him to see past his own nose in that moment. We left it at that and it has never come up again, haha.

The reality is that none of us needs one at all. We definitely don't need more than one. Want to ride powder? Set it back. Want to ride more directionally and only have a twin? Set it back. Want to ride park? Just do it. A guy I know won a park competition at Lake Louise this season riding a Nitro Cannon! In reality, any of us could get by just fine with one board.

I personally only had one board for many years. For most of my life I didn't see any reason to replace my one board, let alone add more boards and make a quiver. Even if I had wanted to, I didn't have the financial means to do it, anyway, so it wouldn't have mattered. It wasn't until my kids were old enough to start riding that I decided to look at what's out there in terms of new stuff. I quickly came to see that access to demos was limited except for the few brands available at the local shops. So I started doing my own demos by buying discounted new boards or good condition used ones, riding them, then eventually selling them for little-to-no loss. Over time I started to hang onto the ones that I really liked.

My additional motivation, as I've mentioned before, is that familiarity with a wide range of brands, camber profiles, flex profiles, genres, etc. makes me a better instructor, guide, information source for my clients. On top of that is the obvious fact that it's just a ton of fun riding different boards. During the winter I'm at the hill a minimum of 4 days each week, not including trips out to the mountains. I can ride a different board every day, or multiple boards on the same day and keep things interesting as well as increase my own skill level as a rider. It's fun/challenging to ride boards that you wouldn't typically ride or wouldn't typically ride in certain conditions in those same conditions.

One example of its utility in teaching: learning to ride and be comfortable on a rocker-dominant board in hard snow/icy snow conditions. Lib-Tech and Never Summer sell a lot of boards, and a lot of them (or all of them in the case of Never Summer) have pronounced centre-rocker. It's kind of hard to teach someone to ride that comfortably if you yourself aren't comfortable riding it or if you're on a full camber board and having zero issues with grip. You can't just tell them to get a camber-dominant board as is often the advice on this forum and others, lol.

Someone likes a particular board? It's nice to have enough knowledge and first-hand experience with other boards to be able to recommend another (or a few others) that they also might like. Someone doesn't like a particular board or a particular characteristic of a board? You can explain to them why that might be the case and how to get around it, how to fix their riding if it's an issue of mechanics, or suggest other boards that they might want to try (or avoid).

The CASI manual specifically states: "Article 6: No member shall sponsor or promote any equipment that he has not personally tested and approved to be of high quality." This doesn't specifically address "hey you might like this board"-type suggestions, but I think that can be seen as a reasonable extension of the article. The more experience you have with gear, the more useful you can be to your clients.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The number of snowboards someone needs follows the rule of n+1.

I bought my first board this year (just so happened to be an Amplid Creamer - which is awesome BTW). Thought it would be all I ever need. I am already eying up the Surfari for purchase maybe in a season or two as I progress and a used park/butter board for the dome atm. After them I will probably start looking at the next bit of tech I want to try :p

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Yeah I totally get it.
There's nothing wrong with it at all and boards store easily. Most that we like and pick up aren't that expensive and buying at a discount means that we can try and sell if necessary.

I'm okay with that... But I still don't want to own like 20 boards. I'd just feel guilty for not riding them all.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Here's a prototype that has the same 3D shaping in the nose as the Surfari. It's a lot easier to see when there's no glossy topsheet.

3.jpg

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
That’s crazy how similar the profiles of those boards actually are!
Similar shapes but different camber profiles. Squash is full camber despite the long nose. Literally full camber, contact to contact. The Surfari has a rockered nose and tail. About 3 cm in the nose and 4 cm in the tail from my eyeball estimates.

The 153 Squash measured 117 cm from contact to contact (straight line) and the 157 Surfari measured 119 cm contact to contact (straight line). Difference of 2cm, but that distance includes rocker in the Surfari measurement, and 100% camber in the Squash measurement. Take out the 7 cm of rocker and the 153 Squash has a longer camber section than the Surfari. Squashes ride longer than their overall length suggests.

The Paradigma, to my surprise and delight, is essentially full camber. There's less than 1mm of lift at the contact points, but that probably becomes ~1 mm when weighted.

I'm excited for next season.
🤓

Edit: Just thought I'd also mention that the Squash has less than half the amount of taper and is narrower (even in the 159 size) than the Surfari, but has more stance setback.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Picked up the Surfari today, such a good looking board in the flesh compared to some of the marketing images you see of it, same with the Creamer.

3D profiling noticeable but not exaggerated, you can feel the antiphase running your hand over the nose area. Have a set of Lien AT's I'll match with it and hopefully get over to Cardona if the borders open up. Little worried though as it sounds like the State boarder where I am may not open until the end of August.

20200518_140017.jpg 20200518_140518.jpg 20200518_141231.jpg 20200518_141327.jpg 20200518_141338.jpg 20200518_141444.jpg Amplid Creamer.jpg

·
Registered
358 Posts
Picked up the Surfari today, such a good looking board in the flesh compared to some of the marketing images you see of it, same with the Creamer.

3D profiling noticeable but not exaggerated, you can feel the antiphase running your hand over the nose area. Have a set of Lien AT's I'll match with it and hopefully get over to Cardona if the borders open up. Little worried though as it sounds like the State boarder where I am may not open until the end of August.

View attachment 154070 View attachment 154071 View attachment 154072 View attachment 154073 View attachment 154074 View attachment 154075 View attachment 154076
such a sick board. wish it came in a 152 or 154.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts