Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
81 - 100 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thankfully you submitted a PayPal dispute. I hope they look after you. It's a shame it had to come to that.

The process was a little abnormal when I bought my two Amplids as well. I contacted them directly, paid them through PayPal, and shipped the boards from Europe with a hope and a prayer. I got lucky and they were both in great shape. I had a feeling returning to Europe through customs and all that would have been a real pain.
The paypal dispute worked! Amplid emailed me promptly and put a new board in the mail. They are having me hold onto the old board to wait and see if UPS needs to do an assessment.

·
Super Moderator
1,479 Posts
For anyone else considering an amplid but gun shy about dealing with them directly, I picked up mine from snowcountry.eu They were easy to work with, website lays out how to deal with issues and it arrived in 3 business days after the order processed
Yeah I'm seeing their boards in a few retail outlets now and at much cheaper prices than what was listed direct from Amplid. It wa a struggle getting my board direct from Amplid also. I found them pretty easy to deal with just, the shipping was a nightmare. I remember seeing my board sitting in Taiwan I think it was for weeks waiting to get to Aus.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I ordered a 157 Amplid Surf Shuttle split through the Splitboard Shop in UT. After a 3 month wait, the board arrived at my doorstep only to find poorly cut notches in the tail for skin tail clips. The notches weren't even symetrical, and were jagged sharp. Then, while mounting Spark R&D canted pucks to the board, a few of the bolts wouldn't thread. Upon closer inspection, I found many of the inserts were NOT fully threaded -- there was no way to mount pucks and bindings onto this board.

Quality control fail? You decide.

Amplid said in an email that I was sent a B-grade board, in error.

·
Super Moderator
1,479 Posts
Sad to hear this about the Amplid brand, for me their strong point was quality and customer service as that niche brand but maybe this is falling by the wayside as they expand their footprint commercially. Very sad to read.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I ordered a 157 Amplid Surf Shuttle split through the Splitboard Shop in UT. After a 3 month wait, the board arrived at my doorstep only to find poorly cut notches in the tail for skin tail clips. The notches weren't even symetrical, and were jagged sharp. Then, while mounting Spark R&D canted pucks to the board, a few of the bolts wouldn't thread. Upon closer inspection, I found many of the inserts were NOT fully threaded -- there was no way to mount pucks and bindings onto this board.

Quality control fail? You decide.

Amplid said in an email that I was sent a B-grade board, in error.
You know this is BS as even a B grade board can be used. B grade is usually just cosmetic issues. But the fact the boards' inserts aren't threaded, makes this board unusable and not rideable. How could they even consider an unusable board B grade?

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
I've been interested in Amplid for years so I finally sent it and picked up both of these in 157. They look kind of similar at first glance, and share similar construction, but actually ride very differently. Ran Union Atlases on both, since they both need to be paired with a responsive full size disc binding. Figured I'd share some initial impressions after a couple days on snow, since there are so few reviews out there...

Surfari has an 8/10 Flex rating that feels accurate tip to tail, but has a little more torsional flex than expected from just hand flexing it in. This thing locks in on high speed carves with that 8.0 sidecut and has surprising edgehold despite a mellower camber profile and average EE. I think the grip comes from being well balanced and so damn stable. It hasn't snowed much for over 2 weeks here in the PNW, but it stayed steady even on patches of ice in the shade. Reminds me of the US Outer Orbit & Korua TF Plus+.

Souly Grail is slightly toned down, one notch lower 7/10 on the flex scale with considerably more torsional flex, slightly narrower waist, 7.9 sidecut, and a little more setback. Every bit as stable as the Surfari but a little quicker edge-to-edge and you can butter with some effort. This might become my new go-to charger for now. Reminds me of the US Inner Orbit & Nidecker Mellow/Liberty/Fun Ball.

Thoroughly impressed so far and impatiently waiting for another storm cycle so I can try them out in some pow.
Sports equipment Snow Snowboarding Tree Window

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Some additional thoughts...

Weird to hear the customer service issues above, as I had an opposite experience. You all remember how ridiculously bad the shipping industry was around this past holiday season. They voluntarily upgraded me to 2nd day air, just so I would have a chance at getting the board in time for a trip. I don't even want to know how expensive that is from Germany to US.

I always read marketing materials with a big grain of salt, but antiphase tech is the real deal. Paid close attention but never noticed any discernible chatter in rough conditions. Plenty of other companies try to accomplish this with different wood core layups, various carbon stringer/sheet placements, etc... but in my experience it oftentimes just creates an overly stiff/heavy/dead zone that ultimately isn't even very effective.

Whatever sintered HD7 is, it seems to be a fast base. I was shocked how much faster it was while flat-basing on a cat track vs. my buddy on a Cardiff Bonsai. Granted it's a brand new base, but with only a single coat of basic wax. Base is already dry and edges are white after just a couple days, so it should only get faster with more coats of better wax.

So far, their Centrifugal collection takes everything I like about the Koruas & Nideckers I've owned, but without the dead door feeling that they suffer from. Might need to try the Pentaquark and/or UNW8 someday, but worried they might be too aggressive for what I prefer these days...

·
Super Moderator
1,479 Posts
This has always been the same experience I've had dealing with Amplid, I've found PB and Gregor engaging and always helpful. My board took a while to get here to Aus but I also understood the difficulties around freight at the time.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Some additional thoughts...

Weird to hear the customer service issues above, as I had an opposite experience. You all remember how ridiculously bad the shipping industry was around this past holiday season. They voluntarily upgraded me to 2nd day air, just so I would have a chance at getting the board in time for a trip. I don't even want to know how expensive that is from Germany to US.

I always read marketing materials with a big grain of salt, but antiphase tech is the real deal. Paid close attention but never noticed any discernible chatter in rough conditions. Plenty of other companies try to accomplish this with different wood core layups, various carbon stringer/sheet placements, etc... but in my experience it oftentimes just creates an overly stiff/heavy/dead zone that ultimately isn't even very effective.

Whatever sintered HD7 is, it seems to be a fast base. I was shocked how much faster it was while flat-basing on a cat track vs. my buddy on a Cardiff Bonsai. Granted it's a brand new base, but with only a single coat of basic wax. Base is already dry and edges are white after just a couple days, so it should only get faster with more coats of better wax.

So far, their Centrifugal collection takes everything I like about the Koruas & Nideckers I've owned, but without the dead door feeling that they suffer from. Might need to try the Pentaquark and/or UNW8 someday, but worried they might be too aggressive for what I prefer these days...
How much do you weigh? I’d love to try either of these decks but I feel like my weight is too low (63kgs) to really get the full benefit out of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,479 Posts
@Triple8Sol

Do you think those two boards are different enough to own both? Seems like there would be an incredible amount of overlap.
That was my biggest worry, not sure even I could justify owning both

How much do you weigh? I’d love to try either of these decks but I feel like my weight is too low (63kgs) to really get the full benefit out of them.
I was around 73 kgs when I rode the Surfari (157) last, I had no issues at all and never felt like I couldn't handle it but that's 10 kegs on you which is a bit. I'd imagine it would probably feel like a plank coming from your NP and it might take some of the enjoyment out of the deck.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
That was my biggest worry, not sure even I could justify owning both

I was around 73 kgs when I rode the Surfari (157) last, I had no issues at all and never felt like I couldn't handle it but that's 10 kegs on you which is a bit. I'd imagine it would probably feel like a plank coming from your NP and it might take some of the enjoyment out of the deck.
I just need to take a healthy dose of steroids and bulk up!

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Well they do have the spray tray! I think that's the go to for ya!

Maybe...for that shape I kinda like the K2 Special Effects. Tough call.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
TBH I don't think you'll enjoy any of the Centrifugal collection boards at that weight. Hopefully they release some smaller sizes eventually, but until then I'd look into their Future Shapes lineup--something like the Dada or Spray Tray.

Do you think those two boards are different enough to own both? Seems like there would be an incredible amount of overlap.
If you have the room/budget, then why not. But yeah definitely some overlap, just depending on which type of riding you'd prefer. Surfari requires you be more aggressive whereas the Souly allows you to be a bit more playful. You'd prob be better off with the Souly + Pentaquark or UNW8. Or Surfari + something from the Future Shapes collection.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ordered a Surfari 157 (5'11" 160lbs) in the outlet sale....turns out they're out of stock and will send me a new one in the next few days for a small upgrade price....works for me.
I ordered a 2nd one for a bud at the time but he's backing out on the extra cash (all good) sooooo, do I take the refund or spend the difference? (course he gets his refund ha) I'm in Japan and was def interested in the Aloha Vibes (I'm a rad dad who loves trees and a hike) but they're sold out in outlet and new so....Snomellier? 2nd Surfari or just cash out the difference?
If it helps I have a Rome Ravine, Surfari on the way plus a Nitro Quiver that I don't really dig - too stubby and plow-y in deep pow.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Ordered a Surfari 157 (5'11" 160lbs) in the outlet sale....turns out they're out of stock and will send me a new one in the next few days for a small upgrade price....works for me.
I ordered a 2nd one for a bud at the time but he's backing out on the extra cash (all good) sooooo, do I take the refund or spend the difference? (course he gets his refund ha) I'm in Japan and was def interested in the Aloha Vibes (I'm a rad dad who loves trees and a hike) but they're sold out in outlet and new so....Snomellier? 2nd Surfari or just cash out the difference?
If it helps I have a Rome Ravine, Surfari on the way plus a Nitro Quiver that I don't really dig - too stubby and plow-y in deep pow.
.......you're in Japan, so do what we all wish we could do, and get a Moss or a Gentemstick and then go snowsurf in tits deep japow

·
Registered
23 Posts
.......you're in Japan, so do what we all wish we could do, and get a Moss or a Gentemstick and then go snowsurf in tits deep japow
Haha fair play. I actually have a TJ.....Gentem and Moss are great, not cheap though and the Amplid was such a deal it was worth an ask.
Tits deep - sorry to say it's been a great season so far.

81 - 100 of 133 Posts