Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Amplid

49K views 241 replies 49 participants last post by  Luffe 
#1 ·
Amplid snowboards are relatively little known outside of Europe. So post up your reviews and experiences.

#2 ·
So here is a review (from old posts) of my Amplid Creamer 163. It started as a solid for a 1/2 season, loved it them did a diy split. So it has a in full season as the split, with Phantom/Atomic Blacklands...which is a bomb set up. The mojority of last season (as a split) it was rode/got hammered inbounds at Baker and its held up brilliantly and still love it.

At 72 kg, I have a 2016/7 163cm Creamer that has become my daily driver that handles everything but the very deepest (24"+). Its fast stable, rails and is easy enough to ride switch is great in the chop, slays groomed and handles a good amt of pow in various forms...windblown, dust, crust and fresh. Its easy to ride 18-20" of the heavier pnw fresh. Its more of a relaxing cruiser instead of an all out charger like the my old c2 billygoat or a traditional full cambered freeride stiffy or Bpro c2 hotrod.

1 Wish it had a bit more pop, it does fine but is not quite as lively as a full cambered...its like 1/2 or mellow cam, but its not flat either...wish it was 3/4 camber...lol. Its fine, just not like full stiffy cam.

2 A while ago also thought the nose should be a tad stiffer so I could really get on the nose...but now idk...it seems ok becase the softer nose absorbs and rides over the chop, instead of getting bucked around with a stiffer nose..

3 And, it rides short...meaning that the camber is where the action is, though with the early rise nose which is great for pow and getting over the chop. So my 163 rides more like a 159/160.

4 The set back and taper is spot on and it seems like its a short tail, it has enough grab coming out of carves and stiff enough for drops and stuff...so you really don't need to ride the tail in deeper pow...it feels really quite balanced fore to aft.

5 Idk what they do with the radius but I love it, you can do short turns, long drawn out carves and straight line...it all feels dialed, no edge grab or that the edges are lacking nor getting over powered.

6 It is quite flickable, its light as in weight and easy to decamber then pop/suck up the knees and flick it around...which is very nice in tight trees, technical lines and moguls...can easily do billygoat hop turns. Its quite easy to just stand there, do a hop and flick it around. And if in an tight spot, you can flick it around land on the nose or tail and it does fine.

7 The S-profile really handles w wide range of snow/terrain conditions....pow, chopped, windblown scoured, ice, soft packed, firm and groomed...I don't think its lacking at all.

8 Ime, its its an easy riding board, but if you want or have to, can charge and be quite aggressive with. I enjoy getting warmed up the first few runs in the morning, getting aggressive and then in the afternoon can dial it back and just do the geezardly mindless cruise at the end of the day and not have to be hyper-focused...thus no need to be changing out boards.

Pros: It covers a wide range of riding and snow conditions, is quick from edge to edge, there is some magic between the radius and flex (that I've not found in anyother board) in that you can rail fairly tight turns and also make long drawn out carves...that feel tight, stable and not catchy. I won't say its a tree board but it is very flickable in the natty (Baker) because it is light as a feather. The tail is relatively stiff to where you can stand on it and with the s-rocker nose it floats/planes well without sinking in the tail nor slowing down. And the stiff tail and camber you can rail groomed, hard and firm pack...on uncrowded groomers could comfortable handle blasting 60mph with solid assurance.

Cons: For awhile, I thought the nose was a tad too soft because you could not get on it like my old billygoat c2btx. And there was not enough camber for liveliness. However, now I like that it is a tad soft in that it rides over the chop instead of busting through the chop (we are talking about the heavier pnw slopchop that you buck over instead of bust through)...and for riding pow, you just hang back a tad and it works great. I would still like a tad more camber for liveliness...but can't have everything...besides I have couple old cambered stiffies that handle that.

Newer version of the Creamer...apparently they have stiffened it up and a bit more cam...to which it seems reasonable. However then you might as well have a full freeride stiffy and less surfy...which there is already one in the stable and another that handles the truely bottomless.

Anyway, its a board I've considered getting another so I'll have another when I wear out the first one. Its more of an all mountian freeride and is more of a traditionalist board instead of the volume shifted fattae. Its is definitely my 1 board quiver within a host of 9 other boards in the quiv...that rarely see action but a day or two in a season.

In summary, I think its a great all around quiver killer and covers alot of range...sure there are some mild drawbacks/short comings for specialized applications; however, at this point, if I could only have 1 board it would 163 creamer.

#3 ·
This isn't a review, per se, but an experience.
I borrowed an Amplid Miligram Splitboard from a guy (same guy who founded Phantom Splitboard Bindings) and rode it one day down a chute that was kind of spooky (to me). He had it mounted with Phantoms, but I took those off and mounted Spark Magneto spltboard bindings (these are now obsolete).
The board was very snappy and very light. I really liked it from what I could tell. I didn't get a chance to ride it on any "normal" sort of terrain that I could just concentrate on the board without worrying about the terrain. However, skinning out on it was very easy due to the light weight. This board was way out of my price range, but if I was loaded, it would definitely be a top contender for my quiver. This board was traditional camber, which I had not experienced on a splitboard before. In fact, I think this might be the only Trad Camber splitboard I've ever ridden.

I've posted this video before, but here it is: first (and only) run on an Amplid Milligram. If you have the $$$, this is a great choice IMO

#4 ·
I'll follow up with more later, but in a nutshell this Amplid Surfari is an incredible ride.

20cm fresh dry powder and it's an amazing board. I was so nervous to get on this board as I thought it would be too much but I'm not sure I'll ride much else it's just so smooth. I'm 74kg on the 157 and that minor 3D spooned nose allows this board to roll from edge to edge and not get hung up. I don't know what to say but I'm a fan.

Thank God I have another 3 days here.

#5 ·
I'll follow up with more later, but in a nutshell this Amplid Surfari is an incredible ride.

20cm fresh dry powder and it's an amazing board. I was so nervous to get on this board as I thought it would be too much but I'm not sure I'll ride much else it's just so smooth. I'm 74kg on the 157 and that minor 3D spooned nose allows this board to roll from edge to edge and not get hung up. I don't know what to say but I'm a fan.

Thank God I have another 3 days here.
I was worried you would spend too much time on the Yup before you broke that bad boy out! That 3d nose coupled with antiphase is really something special. So glad you got some fresh to try it out.

#17 · (Edited)
Jaysus! I didn't realise how exxy the Surfari is! You gotta lock that shit up man!

Souly Grail looks interesting! I don't know what it is, but for some reason Amplid as a brand / philosophy has really crept under my skin in the last few days and since seeing yours in the flesh, as well as your glowing account of how at home you felt on it, very much in line with the idea of feeling instantly familiar / broken in outta the box, on their site.

Made in the Mothership (not interested in Capita at all, but cannot deny that the Capitas at my local shop do look very well sorted), number of accounts of Amplids feeling light, chucking a few $$$ at a smaller company..... hmmmm, I'm quite tempted by the Ticket Twin or Stereo

EDIT: Shit! The Aloha Vibes has my style of party carving written all over it!!!

#18 ·
Yeah the stereo was one I was originally looking at and then changed my mind. It was a long process getting it here and we did get hit with Tax on this one but saved some dollars as a mate and I imported 2 boards under the one shipment, he got a Creamer.
If you are thinking of getting one, make sure you send Gregor an email and ask what's the best price he can do. I reckon I landed the Surfari pretty close to $1k AUD all up which isn't too bad.

#19 · (Edited)
Damn that's pretty good - ANY "boutique" / smaller brand board from OS, landed in Aus at close to $1k, is a good deal I reckon. Including shipping, my LJ cost around $1300. Whilst I don't regret the thought process behind buying it, nor the process of buying it, I'd seriously trade it in for a one of a number of decks from Amplid's line, if given the chance (gift of hindsight being a big factor of course).

Long time and lotsa $$$ coming, but I now understand that I only really need two types of deck - something tapered and directional as hell with a wide waist that I can party carve on, and a 2D either twin or all mountain freestyle with mostly camber, a little bit of early rise at most, certainly not RCR.

Amplid has decks to fill both those shoes.

#22 ·
Argh shit man, didn't see this until now - got flooded with jobs for work yesterday arvo, and after work had a couple of virtual drinks with my work partner, got very philosophical (and a bit tipsy - life is short, do what makes you happy etc etc), and jumped online and picked up a Stereo from a store in Sydney.

There's actually a sorta decent range here - between E107 and Wilderness. I will be keeping an eye on either the Spray Tray or Dada or Aloha Vibes at the end of the season, because they all look like they'd suit my lazy carving style to a tee.

Between the two shops, there are still Ticket Twins, Stereos, Creamers, Paradigmas, as well as the Future Shapes collection - something to tempt you in there?

#24 ·
I got a 155. Would have got a 152 as a super playful, undersized board for getting back into spinning on small and medium park features, but figured the 155 would be the more sensible option for my weight.

I was actually really close to pulling the trigger on a Ticket Twin or Paradigma during the last lockdown, but couldn't justify it. Then they sold out at E107 (best prices I can find in Aus for pretty much anything, really). Then drinks with my work mate last night, and I thought fuck it, if I don't get onto it now, it'll be gone when I want it at end of season sales.

You love your Surfari. I'm sure I'll enjoy the Stereo. At end of season if I can wrangle it, I might see if I can get a multi discount on e.g. a Ticket and Aloha Vibes. If getting a couple of boards I don't need but do want, means increased likelihood that brands like Amplid can be sold locally, stuff it - I won't be frowning.

(Sorta like my correspondence with Weston Backcountry - they were looking into getting in with local distributors, although that hasn't happened yet.)

EDIT: I feel a bit guilty, I didn't know you weren't aware that they sold Amplid here, I sorta feel like I poached it out from under you now - didn't mean to, whatsoever! It was a case of knowing how wrapped you are with yours, knowing they were for sale on E107 and Wilderness, getting tipsy and talking about how life is short and I love where I live and could I justify it to myself, saying yes, and hopping straight on and just buying it.

#25 ·
I got a 155. Would have got a 152 as a super playful, undersized board for getting back into spinning on small and medium park features, but figured the 155 would be the more sensible option for my weight.

I was actually really close to pulling the trigger on a Ticket Twin or Paradigma during the last lockdown, but couldn't justify it. Then they sold out at E107 (best prices I can find in Aus for pretty much anything, really). Then drinks with my work mate last night, and I thought fuck it, if I don't get onto it now, it'll be gone when I want it at end of season sales.

You love your Surfari. I'm sure I'll enjoy the Stereo. At end of season if I can wrangle it, I might see if I can get a multi discount on e.g. a Ticket and Aloha Vibes. If getting a couple of boards I don't need but do want, means increased likelihood that brands like Amplid can be sold locally, stuff it - I won't be frowning.

(Sorta like my correspondence with Weston Backcountry - they were looking into getting in with local distributors, although that hasn't happened yet.)
You must have got the last 155 ya bugger - I'll have to do another trip down to have a ride on it. I feel bad man, you should've taken the Surfari for a lap - I apologise.

#46 ·
Hope E107 and Wilderness continue to stock Amplid next year (here in Aus) - I'm thinking they might, given that E107 has sold pretty much all their Amplid decks from this season.

Interesting that in their new catalogue, they allude to gathering data across a wide range of riders, and the average boot length being an EU43 (which is me) - really adds fuel to the question as to why so many binding companies don't have EU43 sitting right in the middle of one of their sizes, rather than at the upper end for medium / lower end for large. (Admittedly this might be an old question - I'm doing okay on Burton and Nitro medium, Flux could be ever so slightly wider in the heel cup - not sure what other binding brands are like).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.