Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I figured I'd post a review since posts like these were helpful to me when I was doing snowboard research... Pay it forward, if you will.

Some stats:
28 y/o guy
6 seasons in
1-3 (usually multi-day) snowboard trips annually
Sierra Nevadas (plus one trip to Utah)

TL: DR
I'm very happy with my choice. SO stable at speed on groomers and packed pow but still lightweight, lively, and maneuverable on natural features. Haven't had a chance to try it on fresh pow yet but should be able to very soon with all the snow Tahoe's been getting recently.

A longer story
I learned to ride on my girlfriends old hand me down (from her big brother) burton custom, I caught a lot of hard edges that first year. Like, I would have cracked my skill on ice at least twice had I not been wearing a helmet. And I definitely would have broken my wrist had I not had wrist guards..

But that's where I started- classic camber. With a camber you always know exactly where you stand, because when you don't you catch a fuckin edge.. Though it might have been painful to learn on, I think I'm a better rider for it.

Last year I bought my first snowboard, a secondhand 2012 burton custom Flying V. huge mistake, that rocker in the middle really screwed me up. I was just never able to feel secure carving or bombing a hill. Washy washy washy :(

Yesterday I tried a 14/15 Burton Custom and today I tried the 15/16 FA. Flight Attendant was the winner. It felt about as stable as the Custom to me but significantly more playful/nimble. The FA really got me to let loose and enjoy the mountain's natural features. I did things on the FA today that i've never felt confident enough to do on a board before, can't wait to take it out again. Feel like I just bought a magic carpet

·
Registered
365 Posts
Also had a similar riding experience as you have.
The Flying V profile is different from the camber profile. With camber, when you carve, you have to do a "snowboard carve". With a Flying V you have to do a more "surf carve". I can't explain technically the difference, what i can say is that I managed to feel the difference due to some experience I have surfing malibu's and shortboards. So I adapted it and I manage to carve in groomers at high speed with my Flying V.
The problem now for me is that I've spent 3 years with a Custom Flying V (hybrid rocker) and I'm not sure what the result will be if I return to a hybrid camber board like the FA.
What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Just to give a small update.
Time has passed and I also bought the 2018 FA.
Rode it a few times and coming from a Custom FV, I have to say that yes this is a more stable ride but the Custom FV made me ride with over confidence since I never catch an edge with it. With the FA I'm falling down more frequently but it's basically when I land a jump or try to hit some features like I used to do with the Custom FV and now I need to be more precise and technical when doing the same.
The Custom FV was very forgiving and the FA is not so forgiving.
What I've instantly noticed from day 1: the FA it's much faster than the Custom Flying V. In just a few meters you gain speed like crazy and it seems that the board does not have a "limit" to it. With the Custom Flying V I know when the speed is more than enough but with this board you just ride faster and faster. You just have no feeling on the board that tells you that you are already riding too fast that can lead you to lose control at high speed if you dont know what you are doing. Because of that I avoid steep groomers so that I dont get too enthusiastic when I'm riding to avoid accidents.
I also feel a lot more secure in hard pack, which was a problem for the Custom Flying V. But again, carving on a Flying V is not the same as carving on a camber board. It's not possible to really hard carve on a Flying V and with the FA is different.
Still love the carving feeling of the Flying V that is a surfy carving feeling when the snow is not hard. But with the FA you can have it both ways.
Regarding powder: with my Custom Flying V i need to be fit to ride powder. At the end of the day I would feel a bit of fatigue on my legs that I consider normal. With the FA I was riding powder stress free and relaxed and arrived to the end of the day with no leg burn or fatigue.
I'm enjoying a lot the FA but I need to improve my technique a bit to ride this board as comfortably as I was riding my FV.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good Feedback

This is good thread as I'm looking to pull the trigger on either a 2018 FA or a Custom. I spend most of my time on smaller groomed stuff here in the Midwest, BUT, I do get to Colorado 2 or 3 times a year. I'm really curious what you guys think about the FA, specifically how it handles groomers. From everything I've read, the FA seems like a much better pow board than a Custom, but given my geographical predicament, I'm really interested on how it rides on the groomed stuff. Also, what size board/boots are you guys rolling with? Thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
This is good thread as I'm looking to pull the trigger on either a 2018 FA or a Custom. I spend most of my time on smaller groomed stuff here in the Midwest, BUT, I do get to Colorado 2 or 3 times a year. I'm really curious what you guys think about the FA, specifically how it handles groomers. From everything I've read, the FA seems like a much better pow board than a Custom, but given my geographical predicament, I'm really interested on how it rides on the groomed stuff. Also, what size board/boots are you guys rolling with? Thanks!
Depends on a lot of things! What do you ride most (Park, groomers, backountry, off piste, etc) Both boards are great but are also complimentary. The FA has a more directional feel and has taper (Nose wider than the tail) While the Custom is a directional twin (Nose and tail same width).

The Custom can do anything very good and for a long time was a quiver killer.

The FA is great at bombing, carving, pow, etc.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Depends on a lot of things! What do you ride most (Park, groomers, backountry, off piste, etc) Both boards are great but are also complimentary. The FA has a more directional feel and has taper (Nose wider than the tail) While the Custom is a directional twin (Nose and tail same width).

The Custom can do anything very good and for a long time was a quiver killer.

The FA is great at bombing, carving, pow, etc.
Could not have said it better.
@[email protected] please not that I was previously riding a Custom Flying V not a Custom. The Flying V works well for some off-piste action but the camber version is much harder to control on pow. Then the Flying V tends to be sometimes a bit washy washy in hard snow while the camber version holds it's edge. So my comment was not comparing a Custom with a FA but a Custom Flying V with a FA.

Regarding sizes, I ride a FA 159 at 170lbs of weight and boot size 10.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts