Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
I know a few people who use apps that show where you are on a topo and can be used to map routes. Lets just say I have found them very useful.

The main drawback is that it means your phone is on and there is a beacon interference issue with electronics such as phones and helmet cams. I try to keep my phone off as I also have a helmet cam and dslr I bring with me.

So is it useful? Most likely yes. Just be sure to use good practices with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anyway you can set your phone to "in-the-airplane mode" so there's no interference !

... interference to cams are less dangerous than getting lost and finally arrive before a 50ft cliff ...depends on what kind of backcountry you do :dunno:

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
Actually, just having your electronics on causes interference with beacons. That has already been proven. The general guideline is to keep your devices at least 16 inches or roughly 40 cm away from your beacon. I've played with it enough to say that there is an effect.

It all comes down to how you use your gear. Keep in mind that if you get into a beacon search situation, one of the best practices is to make sure you turn all of your electronics off as part of your search checklist. The problems seem to be with interference to the searching beacon not the transmitting one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts