❄ Model: M4 MFI®,
❄ Season: 2019 (YOM),
❄ Size: Mens,
❄ Colour: "Gargoyle",
❄ Lens: SONAR by Ziess Silver 6% VLT / Infrared 57% VLT,
❄ Lens Type: Cylindrical/Toric,
❄ Price: $Au399.99 ($US319.95) RRP,
❄ Rider: 192cm (6'4") 93kg (205lbs),
❄ Rider Outerwear: Giro Range helmet/OT Chips 2.0, Anon M4 goggles, Burton [ak] Helitack Jacket, [ak] Cyclic pants, [ak] Powergrid base layer, [ak] Guide gloves, [ak] Endurance socks, Burton SLX boots, Quiksilver TR Platinum 24L riders backpack,
❄ Location: Furano/Kamui, Hokkaido,
❄ Camera:
GoPro Hero 7 Black / Smatree S2C carbon pole.

I grabbed a set of Anon M4 MFI® with mid weight face mask in colour "Gargoyle" a few months ago as an update on my previous Smith OTG Knowledge goggles. Let's firstly talk about the price. The Anon M4 MFI® plus face mask sits at a pretty lofty $Au399.99 RRP in Australia, which is well, pretty damn expensive for a set of snowboarding goggles. Luckily I was able to grab my set on the EOS sale for $Au223 ($US150) which I felt was a pretty good deal.

So......, what are you getting for all this outlay $$$?
Well really....., you're getting a hell of a lot.

Snow Winter Snowboard Recreation Winter sport

Firstly you're stepping into an interchangeable duel lens system. My goggles came with a cylindrical SONAR by ZEISS silver bright light lens (6% VLT) and a Toric SONAR infrared low light lens (57% VLT). You also get a small dual compartment goggle carry bag, a hard shelled sealable carry case protector for the spare lens and a very decent MFI® (Magnetic Facemask Integration) mid-weight face mask.

Snow Winter Blizzard Winter storm Freezing

So how did they all perform. I had 2 weeks in Japan to test them out and honestly the Anon M4 was brilliant. I used the low light lens for around 80% of the time as it was overcast and lightly snowing. This lens gave me great uninterrupted clarity of vision throughout these conditions. To be honest I really can't tell much optical difference between the Toric and Cylindrical lens whilst using them. I'm sort of glad I have them both and kind of liked the Toric for low light. All the pictures attached are the low light Toric lens.

Helmet Snow Personal protective equipment Headgear Photography

Anon's magnetic lens attachment system is truly fantastic. They clip solidly into place and never have any problems with unwanted detachment if you have a fall. The lens stayed pretty much fog free almost the entire time and were able to vent any mist out super fast with their air flow system. I used the cylindrical silver bright light frame a number of days and it was superb in sunlight.

Snow Skier Winter sport Snowboard Ski

So the size....., well the Anon M4 has a pretty big frame. I was able to easily it my optical script into them perfectly. The Optometrist heat molded my multi focal optical inserts by putting a bend in the bridge to match the internal curvature of the M4 frame shape and also extending the lower support arms so they sat inside the upper and lower frame more snugly without any slop or movement. Snowboarding with them was fantastic and as good as my Smith Prophecy OTG's. I had a slight adjustment period in getting use to my optics which now had around a 10 to 20 degree frame bend.

Snow Winter Freezing Blizzard Winter storm

Let's have a look at the face mask. For years I have been using the Burton Premium balaclava with my goggles which is a pretty solid system. Over the years Burton have been reducing the length of these balaclavas as a cost saving mechanism which now are much shorter than ones I've had from years ago. Well thankfully the Anon MFI® does not follow this trend as you get a massive length with the face mask. It has a purpose integrated breathing flap that exhaust vents out below to allow comfortable non fogging of lens. The face mask clips in pretty well to the goggles via 4 magnet clips under the nose bridge which held solidly and never released.

I've also additionally grabbed the Anon MFI® Hooded Balaclava and Anon Tech Balaclava and have attached my comprehensive review below.

Snow Skier Ski pole Winter Ski

I had to sometimes lift my goggles partially off my face to sight the correct attachment location. The face mask has a pretty relaxed fit and does not sit too tight around the mouth feeling really comfortable on. The only downside is that you have to have it integrated to the goggles or not as it will fall down low below your mouth when not attached to the magnets due to the loose fit. This can be a problem when it's dumping down as you'll get a slight deposit and build up of snow occurring on the inside of the face mask. The Burton Premium balaclava due to its snugness prevents this and also allows you the ability to customize its fit to various locations on your face ie over the nose, under the nose, under the bottom lip or under the chin.

Snow Winter Freezing Recreation Slope

I grabbed a micro polar fleece skull cap from Aliexpress for $Au5 which is brilliant. I wear this under my helmet and it gives me close to having a balaclava system with the Anon face mask.

Snow Winter Tree Geological phenomenon Fun

So all in all the Anon M4 MFI® /face mask are a brilliant set of goggles. They are more expensive than a lot of the competition but you get so much more making them a really fantastic high performing snowboard goggle.

A visibly bright 5 stars ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Love my M3s. Curious about the new venting system on the masks, I've got one of the old balaclavas and it doesn't vent at all. Used the soldering iron to make vent holes on it that work a little better haha.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Snow Winter Freezing Helmet Outerwear

So you can see with the MFI face mask that the grey is the base with the black being the overlay. Under the black it is meshed around the mouth and nose area so air is exhausted easily out the bottom of the black overlay. My Giro helmet also assists with it's front vents in channeling air down through the foam mesh top of the googles.

The only problems I had was being in the gondolas as it's a lot warmer there and this is where fog up occurred. To prevent this you just break the face mask off the goggle and you're free of the integration.

Snow Helmet Winter Ski helmet Geological phenomenon

·
Registered
1 Posts
Love the review with pics man.
Currently deciding myself between the M3 and M4, basically get them for the same price, just afraid the M4 will feel and look bulky (cylindrical lense), so can't really decide and nowhere to try them out.
Any experience with the M3? Do the M4 feel bulky? (a medium/Large helmet guy)

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
I'm thinking of grabbing these for my son. How do you feel about how they'd work with glasses? I see you have the inserts, but for some strange reason he prefers glasses over them. Don't ask me why, my only answer is he's 15.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Nice review Craig! Smashing pics to boot (y) (y) (y) After rocking a couple of pairs of Modest (it's good to support local, but TBH they simply don't compare to a good set from a reputable brand), it's good to come across solid reviews like this.

Legend!! 🤘🤘

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'm thinking of grabbing these for my son. How do you feel about how they'd work with glasses? I see you have the inserts, but for some strange reason he prefers glasses over them. Don't ask me why, my only answer is he's 15.
The inserts are way way better. My wife has to wear glasses for long distance and has been wearing Smith OTG for decades. She said she hated the comfort level of the frames down the side of the googles and always used to lift the googles up and ski with glasses. She now says inserts are the best things ever. If you have metal frames they get very cold. With your normal glasses they are separate from the goggle and you have problems with them integrating but with the script insert they become part of the google. Set and forget..., it's truly, an absolute no brainer.

I've only had glasses for reading in the last few years so I've only worn the inserts. In the end you want the best system you can get. Smith make a purpose insert that clip to the nose bridge of Smith OTG but they are more expensive and can not be used on other brands.

Being a 15 year old I know it's all about style. Insert frames or contacts are the best you can get. With the daylight mirror lens you will not see the insert anyway. I'll have the daylight mirror frames on in a few days time and will do a few board/gear reviews so he can check them out then.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well I just got back from a week at Perisher and ran the M4 cylindrical silver SONAR lens through its paces in sunny conditions. Performed superbly.

Snow Winter Recreation Winter sport Fun

The Sonar Silver cylindrical lens (6% VLT) performed brilliantly in our bright light Australian conditions.

Snow Winter Snowboard Geological phenomenon Recreation

Noticed that on some days when the temperature was around the 3-5°C range that you could feel a little bit of heat from the face mask but it really easy to snap open to get a breather. The MFI face mask was definitely the go with the current CV19 situation.

Snow Geological phenomenon Winter Recreation Adventure

Perisher/Thredbo are really big on face masks for this season and are always chipping people who had their masks down in the lift lines. The beauty of the Anon MFI face mask is that it sits a little bit looser than a balaclava type setup and is not as hot on the face. It also offers superb sun protection as well so no need to worry about the 30+.

Snow Skier Ski Winter Ski Equipment

The Anon M4 is truly an impressive set of snowboarding goggles.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Thank you for this review @Craig64! It helps reaffirm my purchase of the M4. And I’m glad someone else on this forum loves Burton AK as much (or more than) I do. Haha!

Reactions: Craig64

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
7,593 Posts
I don't tend to be "brand-loyal" in the traditional sense. I'll stick with a brand if it seems good, but I'll toss it aside in a cold second if I find something I like better.

That being said, I've bought several Burton AK jackets and bib pants in the last two years. Also a DC and a Volcom jacket, just because I liked them. The AKs fit well, have all the pockets in the right places, and keep me warm and dry. 'Nuff said.

Regarding the Anons, except for the enormous fuck-up with the magnets on the M4s, I've found them to be a brilliant bit of design. I just ordered some new masks and one of the new Perceive lenses for this year. The lens has already arrived--looks real nice.

I absolutely hated the masks from a year or two back with the flap over the breathing mesh, though. And I mean to the point where I took the magnets out and tossed the masks.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I don't tend to be "brand-loyal" in the traditional sense. I'll stick with a brand if it seems good, but I'll toss it aside in a cold second if I find something I like better.

That being said, I've bought several Burton AK jackets and bib pants in the last two years. Also a DC and a Volcom jacket, just because I liked them. The AKs fit well, have all the pockets in the right places, and keep me warm and dry. 'Nuff said.

Regarding the Anons, except for the enormous fuck-up with the magnets on the M4s, I've found them to be a brilliant bit of design. I just ordered some new masks and one of the new Perceive lenses for this year. The lens has already arrived--looks real nice.

I absolutely hated the masks from a year or two back with the flap over the breathing mesh, though. And I mean to the point where I took the magnets out and tossed the masks.
New one like this?

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
7,593 Posts
Curious to hear your thoughts when you get a chance to try it out. All I've got are ones like these (other than the balaclava you can't wear when it's cold...) and they're OK, but hoping the newer versions are better.
I have this style as well. They work well as long as they're dry, but once the vent gets wet it becomes much less effective for letting air through. The ones with the flap are basically shit-useless. They would be excellent if there was some mechanism to keep the flap separated from the underlying vent, but as it is the flap just sits on top of the vent like a plug in a drain.

I also have a couple of the lightweight ones that have no vent at all. They have the same problem when they get wet--permeability goes down.

I'm hoping the new venting system is like the balaclava vent, which is more like plastic netting than cloth, and doesn't accumulate moisture as much. I realize they'll be shit as a facemask when on the lift, but I'm willing to keep a regular facemask on underneath that I can flip up over my mouth and nose.

In case you haven't picked up on it, I breathe hard when I'm snowboarding. I'm always pushing it, and my watch says I'm always well into my aerobic zone. So I need unobstructed air.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I have this style as well. They work well as long as they're dry, but once the vent gets wet it becomes much less effective for letting air through. The ones with the flap are basically shit-useless. They would be excellent if there was some mechanism to keep the flap separated from the underlying vent, but as it is the flap just sits on top of the vent like a plug in a drain.

I also have a couple of the lightweight ones that have no vent at all. They have the same problem when they get wet--permeability goes down.

I'm hoping the new venting system is like the balaclava vent, which is more like plastic netting than cloth, and doesn't accumulate moisture as much. I realize they'll be shit as a facemask when on the lift, but I'm willing to keep a regular facemask on underneath that I can flip up over my mouth and nose.

In case you haven't picked up on it, I breathe hard when I'm snowboarding. I'm always pushing it, and my watch says I'm always well into my aerobic zone. So I need unobstructed air.
I'm the same, which balaclava are you talking about? The one I have has no venting at all.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts