Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
7,593 Posts
Have you worn this on a really cold day yet? Curious how well the venting works.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Anon has a number of different venting types now. This year's masks are really good for venting. But on really cold days, I'd suggest the wool or microfur mask, which doesn't have holes so you don't get the cold air coming directly in.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Anon has a number of different venting types now. This year's masks are really good for venting. But on really cold days, I'd suggest the wool or microfur mask, which doesn't have holes so you don't get the cold air coming directly in.
Those look nice, I'm skeptical of any of them without venting at this point though. I was wondering more if you had any problems with the balaclava causing fogging.

·
7,593 Posts
Those look nice, I'm skeptical of any of them without venting at this point though. I was wondering more if you had any problems with the balaclava causing fogging.

Not particularly. The Anons are actually more likely to fog the outside of the lens when you're in the line-up than the inside. I do get fogging on the inside in some circumstances, but they're the same circumstances where I used to get the problem with my Oakleys.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Not particularly. The Anons are actually more likely to fog the outside of the lens when you're in the line-up than the inside. I do get fogging on the inside in some circumstances, but they're the same circumstances where I used to get the problem with my Oakleys.
Yeah, some of it is just unavoidable I suppose. Guy I rode Baker with had Julbo, I think they were called, where the lens lifted out and away from the frame. He said they were his favorite goggles he's ever had.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Two questions, for anyone who has seen this season's masks in person:

- Can you describe the weight and material of the midweight vs lightweight masks?

- Is there some sort of technical/material reason they went with the black material around the vent/mouth for the masks that aren't black? It ends up looking like a combination of the mask from Scream and a sex doll, and that's not quite the look I'm going for. (on the slopes, anyway....)

·
7,593 Posts
Two questions, for anyone who has seen this season's masks in person:

- Can you describe the weight and material of the midweight vs lightweight masks?

- Is there some sort of technical/material reason they went with the black material around the vent/mouth for the masks that aren't black? It ends up looking like a combination of the mask from Scream and a sex doll, and that's not quite the look I'm going for. (on the slopes, anyway....)
1. The midweight mask has a more "solid" feel to the material. You can't breathe through it. And FWIW, I just bought a new set of M4s, and the midweights have a flap over the breathing mesh that IMO makes it very difficult to breathe. I took the magnetic carrier out of the mask and threw the mask away, and put the carrier in one of my other masks--the ones you can get from the website, that don't have the flap.

2. They do actually have colors other than black for the mesh. The blue masks have blue mesh, for instance. I don't know what the deal is with the red masks, but it actually doesn't look like "The Scream" when worn. The black area is big enough to cover most of the lower face area.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Sex dolls are pretty realistic these days so I wouldn't worry too much if you look like one. The lightweight mask has some options without the black mouth mesh though.

As donutz said, the mask with the flap that comes with the M4 is hard to breath out of once damp or if you're panting. It is warm though. I've not tried the midweight mask you can buy from the website but I tried the lightweight one and I like it, very breathable. I'd want something warmer than the lightweight if it's colder than say -5C and windy though.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Any idea if the wool or microfur is going to be warmer? Seems like the microfur would get frozen solid pretty quickly if its snowing and cold, aka when I need to wear it.

·
7,593 Posts
Any idea if the wool or microfur is going to be warmer? Seems like the microfur would get frozen solid pretty quickly if its snowing and cold, aka when I need to wear it.
I've only ever found the lightweight version inadequate at Whistler, and even that only on cold, windy days. The microfur is plenty warm. I haven't bought any wool items as I think it would be too warm.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've only ever found the lightweight version inadequate at Whistler, and even that only on cold, windy days. The microfur is plenty warm. I haven't bought any wool items as I think it would be too warm.
I get cold pretty easily. For example I bought OR Alti Mitts on sale after a frigid day at Beaver Creek in January. Temp was about 9F, 15mph winds, snowing. My hands were frozen in the Arc'teryx Fission mitts I'd bought for the season, with knit poly liners. The OR mitts are ridiculous and I only plan to use them on cold days but that gives you an idea of where I am coming from.

The main thing is how much wind passes through the masks. My contacts will start to glaze over at high speeds with lots of cold air flow through the goggles. I am hoping the MFI mask blocks more wind from coming in the underside of the goggle, and read one comment comparing Wool MFI to the Tech Baclava, saying the midweight wool blocked more wind.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts