Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I get cold pretty easily. For example I bought OR Alti Mitts on sale after a frigid day at Beaver Creek in January. Temp was about 9F, 15mph winds, snowing. My hands were frozen in the Arc'teryx Fission mitts I'd bought for the season, with knit poly liners. The OR mitts are ridiculous and I only plan to use them on cold days but that gives you an idea of where I am coming from.

The main thing is how much wind passes through the masks. My contacts will start to glaze over at high speeds with lots of cold air flow through the goggles. I am hoping the MFI mask blocks more wind from coming in the underside of the goggle, and read one comment comparing Wool MFI to the Tech Baclava, saying the midweight wool blocked more wind.
I've partially taped the vents closed when I'm getting to much air flow or my breath is fogging from the bottom because of a mask. It's as effective as it is cheap. I put the tape on the inside so you can't see it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've partially taped the vents closed when I'm getting to much air flow or my breath is fogging from the bottom because of a mask. It's as effective as it is cheap. I put the tape on the inside so you can't see it.
Smart. I'm trying low-bridge fit M3s next season for the extra foam but tape would make a big difference once you get going really quick.

I wonder if the M3s leak any air through the frame to lens interface?

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
7,593 Posts
The MFI doesn't leak any air up into the mask because of the magnetic seal.

Whistler doesn't get nearly as cold as what you're describing--or at least it hasn't when I've been up there. I think maybe low 20's F at worst. The lightweight mask, as I said, can be insufficient, especially when it's windy. But the microfur and the heavy cloth masks are pretty damned good.

I think the other thing you'd want to worry about is the breathing hole. In a cold wind, the non-covered breathing interface can let a fair bit of cold air in. The microfur doesn't have breathing holes at all. You just suck air through the cloth.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I don't really have an issue with my mask for breathing as it works pretty well for venting.

Shorts Sleeve Rectangle Pattern Trunks

Here is the internal construction of the Anon M4 mid weight face mask. It has a polyester micro gauze flat stitched into the fabric. I don't have any wet out issues with it at all.

Outerwear Sleeve Grey Bag Collar

Here is my wife's Anon WM1 with the newer construction technique.

Outerwear Purple Textile Sleeve Collar

And the internal is similar with the previous design M4 however the gauze is more open and it's heat melded and glued to the lighter weight face mask.

Outerwear Textile Sleeve Collar Pink

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Interesting mask design for '23 Anon M4.S.

How is the mask design any different from the last 2 years?

I have the 2020-21 M4 and the mask design looks identical to the M4S (midweight and cannot be purchased separately from the Anon catalog).

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
7,593 Posts
Those are the ones i received with my goggles. They aren’t great if you like breathing.
Yeah, I agree. The flap would be great if it stayed off the inner piece, but when it gets damp and lies flat on it, it's like being waterboarded.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts