Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been lurking a while guys..

Im a beginner. ive spent about 5 days on the snow so far. by day 2 i was linking turns and having a blast. day 3 i could ollie comfortably ride goofey without much effort...

I know the hire board (rossignol of some sort) was normal width, but i didnt take notice of the length.. when i went back a few weeks later I bought my own board from a bricks and mortar store in sydney....Here things go pear shaped.

I bought a K2 parkstar 157cm WIDE.
Im 178cm (so round 5'10)
88kg (190 punds)
and use thirty twos boots in US size 11!

SO day 4/5 i was having huge trouble linking turns. particularly going heel to toe and holding toe side turns... Am i going crazy or is this due to the wide board... Im considering selling the board and going with a ride machete 155cm or a 158cm in normal width... maybe i just need more lessons. regardless its going to cost me money. just want to enjoy my time on the slopes!

Just dont understand how i could go backwards so quickly in my riding.. going to thredbo in 5 weeks time and want to get my gear sorted prior to going..

·
Registered
92 Posts
most people on here would say that you don't necessarily need a wide board. It might just be you aren't used to the board, that and it is a PARKstar, so it sacrifices on mountain performance for park ability.

This is what The Good Ride said about the parkstar
The Parkstar is a good choice for someone who wants to jib everywhere and likes jumps.
In my opinion, you bought the wrong type of board for learning the basics and should have waited until you know for sure that you want to spend more time in the park than backcountry to buy a board.

The Machete sounds like a decent board, but i haven't ridden either of the boards. I would probably make your decision more or less based on whether you are looking to spend more time in the park, or do the all mountain thing and decide what you really truly want to do later in your snowboarding career.

I hope this was of some help to you, and don't take my word or anybody'd word as gospel and get a second opinion!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Just dont understand how i could go backwards so quickly in my riding.. going to thredbo in 5 weeks time and want to get my gear sorted prior to going..
I am not sure the parkstar board is a great first choice of board as mentioned above. Secondly if you didn't take notice of your rental board it may be that it was a bit shorter and therefore manoeuvrable than the one you are riding now, couple that with the unnecessary width it will be slower edge to edge and with poor technique your whole experience would have changed significantly.

That isn't a dig at your ability, but to have progressed to riding switch and jumps on your third day is extremely quick, I am sure you have some natural ability but you have to get the basics down before you really feel comfortable linking those turns and using good riding technique, this takes time. I would suggest taking a couple more lessons when you hit the mountain. It is very easy to go backwards at the beginning or to pick up bad habits which become very hard to shake later down the line.

As for the board, like I said not ideal beginner board as its park orientated and the wide is probably unnecessary so if you can get a good price or switch it for something more appropriate then great.

Good luck

·
Registered
658 Posts
most people on here would say that you don't necessarily need a wide board. It might just be you aren't used to the board, that and it is a PARKstar, so it sacrifices on mountain performance for park ability.

This is what The Good Ride said about the parkstar

In my opinion, you bought the wrong type of board for learning the basics and should have waited until you know for sure that you want to spend more time in the park than backcountry to buy a board.

The Machete sounds like a decent board, but i haven't ridden either of the boards. I would probably make your decision more or less based on whether you are looking to spend more time in the park, or do the all mountain thing and decide what you really truly want to do later in your snowboarding career.

I hope this was of some help to you, and don't take my word or anybody'd word as gospel and get a second opinion!
Dude, just stop.

A Parkstar is a perfectly fine board to ride around the mountain. You think it notices as soon as you ride outside of the park boundaries, and decides to act like a totally different board? No. It's a twin tipped, mid stiff, basically flat board. Don't get sucked into the marketing terms of what a board is and what a board is not.

OP, the board is fine. You just suck at riding (sorry). Practice makes perfect. Spend more time on the board, and you'll acclimate to it and get better at snowboarding in general.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate your honesty guys.

Will invest in some lessons! I'm going to demo a machete after the lessons.. See if it makes a difference! Confidence is everything to me! Even if it is psychological I'm going explore that route!

·
Registered
106 Posts
After 3 days riding I was still getting the hang of linking turns! Anyway, I suspect your troubles are probably because you're doing something technique wise you don't realise, rather than the board.

Like others I'd strongly suggest getting some lessons. You'll learn good habits (rather than bad ones). I still remember stuff from early lessons that helps me figure out what I've done wrong/right when I'm riding today.

Get a bit of riding under your belt and do some research before buying a board. Get a feel for the sort of style you want to ride and buy a board that will support that. The Parkstar's a decent board but if you really like bombing groomers it's not the board for you.

On boards... at size 11 you probably don't need a wide, especially not if your boots are low profile, but it depends on the board. I'm size 12 and I normally do, but not always. I know plenty of 11.5's who don't ride wide boards.

(weirdly, I picked up a Machete as my first board and have just scored a Parkstar to do some more freestyle)

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
After 3 days riding I was still getting the hang of linking turns! Anyway, I suspect your troubles are probably because you're doing something technique wise you don't realise, rather than the board.

Like others I'd strongly suggest getting some lessons. You'll learn good habits (rather than bad ones). I still remember stuff from early lessons that helps me figure out what I've done wrong/right when I'm riding today.

Get a bit of riding under your belt and do some research before buying a board. Get a feel for the sort of style you want to ride and buy a board that will support that. The Parkstar's a decent board but if you really like bombing groomers it's not the board for you.

On boards... at size 11 you probably don't need a wide, especially not if your boots are low profile, but it depends on the board. I'm size 12 and I normally do, but not always. I know plenty of 11.5's who don't ride wide boards.

(weirdly, I picked up a Machete as my first board and have just scored a Parkstar to do some more freestyle)
+1 and what Alkasquawlik said. Some Guy is talking non-sense.

The model board is perfectly fine. Wide version is unnecessary for you and will ultimately impact performance a little, but for now the limiting factor is almost certainly skill technique.

Also, when earning to ride it is not uncommon at all to feel like you are regressing/taking a step back some days. How long was it between your day 3 with the rental set-up and day 4/5 with the new gear?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The model board is perfectly fine. Wide version is unnecessary for you and will ultimately impact performance a little, but for now the limiting factor is almost certainly skill technique.

Also, when earning to ride it is not uncommon at all to feel like you are regressing/taking a step back some days. How long was it between your day 3 with the rental set-up and day 4/5 with the new gear?
probably about 2 weeks?

i never intended on buying a board. i wanted boots as the hire boots were dogs balls.. hurt my feet like hell!!!! new boots are awesome and basically walked out with a whole setup...I'll get some lessons next month, give the parkstar another run and change the stance up a little!

·
Registered
106 Posts
probably about 2 weeks?

i never intended on buying a board. i wanted boots as the hire boots were dogs balls.. hurt my feet like hell!!!! new boots are awesome and basically walked out with a whole setup...I'll get some lessons next month, give the parkstar another run and change the stance up a little!
Haha boots are probably the most important thing! Nothing ruins a day quicker than a pair of boots that don't fit right.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts

Yup. The beginning of my 3rd year there were days I felt like I was learning all over again. Usually happens after having a really good day too

·
Moving to the dark side...
1,428 Posts
It may help to stick the boots into the bindings while on the board and take some pics, front to back from above etc...

It may be as simple of having the bindings on the board incorrectly, leaving more on the back of the board and less on the front, meaning it would be more difficult for heel to toe turns as your weight distribution would be wrong...

Just a thought... Seen it before, and it makes a huge difference...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts