Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TLDR: Love it! Awesome profile!

Size: 156cm
Height:5'10"
Weight: 170
Bindings: 2013(?) Cartel EST - +16/-12 at reference marks
Boots: Nike Lunarendor size 8 (foot size more like 7, but they work well)

I alpine skied and tele skied for about 20 years each. Along the way I fit in a bunch of days snowboarding. In 2003 I bought my first Lib Tech Emma Peel and rode at least a few times a year. Finally in 2013 I decided to solely snowboard and picked up a used Custom Flying V and Cartel bindings (rode at +/-15). I suppose I consider myself an intermediate to advanced all mountain rider - park newb when I go occasionally. I would prefer to ride only powder, but for another year I live in the East so the majority of my snowboarding has been on too-hard and/or icy snow.

Friday 3/13 I pulled the trigger on a 156 Flight Attendant. Even though I am at the top of the weight range I wanted a slightly narrower board than I otherwise might get b/c of my small feet. I also like to ride trees and figured that for now I would rather compromise on the optimal float for the benefit of other characteristics.

Day one was at Bretton Woods last weekend. It snowed/sleeted a couple inches overnight and then continued snowing (with a little sleet) during the day. Despite the limited "unfrozen moisture" the snow was actually quite nice. It was not quite enough to cover the hard stuff underneath, but almost. The Flight Attendant ATE IT UP. As it started piling up during the day I was able to absolutely bomb through the heavy crud. My Custom FV would have been deflecting off the piles and been much more squirrelly - the FA just tore through it as fast as I could go. I was essentially going full speed through 6ish inches of snow on harder piles and the board barely bounced around at all. On the groomers (with snow accumulating) it just felt locked in. It did not feel the least bit catchy. It just felt more stable and locked in than my hybrid camber. Bretton Woods is a really flat mountain except in a few short sections and I did not come close to finding the top speed of the FA.

In the trees the board was amazing. I suspect this was due to the slightly short length and the good conditions, but I could drive it either with my front foot or lean back a bit and surf around the back. The glades there are quite open and not too steep so it wasn't a dense forest, but I felt like I was flying through the trees and much more in control than I would have been on my old board. The snow was not close to enough to cover the ski ruts, so it was alternating between quick turns through moguls and then hopping over into a new line.

Day 1 on that board was one of those days you just feel great about riding. The conditions were good, but I still give a ton of credit to the new board for making me feel like I was on my A game.

Yesterday my wife and I went to a small mountain in Maine to watch my niece xc ski so I spent the time between races up on the mountain. The grooming was good and the temp also climbed during the day so it was good conditions for carving. While perhaps not a pure carving stick, the FA still just felt locked in the whole time. I don't really know what other phrase to use - it was not catchy and I didn't feel like it was a pure carver, but it was not the least bit squirrelly and was nice and quick edge to edge. I played around with my cousin doing some 180s and riding switch - it was completely fine for my level of riding switch, which is basic medium speed carving. I realize it is directional, but unless you want a true twin I imagine this board would be fine for most people riding switch for limited purposes. I definitely opened the throttle more than day 1 and comfortably hit 54.3mph (according to Ski Tracks), which is probably as fast as I've gone before. No chatter, no worries. It just went!

Anyway, for the limited conditions I have gotten to ride at this point, the board is amazing and I love it. I feel more in control than on my Custom Flying V. The camber profile for most of the board gives me more power and control underfoot. While I have not yet needed the full float of the S rocker, the few times I hit deeper drifts on my mini pow day the board was great. People talk about it being a stiff board, but I have banged through some moguls in these two days and through plenty of chop and it felt just right for an all mountain board - stiff enough to eat up crud, but soft enough to not toss you around.

As should be apparent I am super happy with the purchase!

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should have added a shoutout to Snowboard Jones in Manchester, NH. They hooked me up with a great end-of-season deal. They have also been exceptionally helpful any time I needed a part here or there.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Great review. Super informative.

Hey,

Enjoyed this review a lot and solidifies my decision to get this board as my next stick. Love how you elaborated on how it handles crud, high speeds etc . All things I look for in a ride, stable at high speeds & for hard deep carving. Really excited to get this and will be getting a 156 as well. (5'7/180lbs/8.5 burton rulers).

Just a little clarification, i know you mentioned that it didnt feel like a true carver, what exactly did you mean by that? You could still lay a deep trench with it without having any doubt of its stability right? Like i enjoy carving hard and fast, and just want to make sure that even in messy resort snow/chunder, that i can lay a hard toe or esp heel side carve without the worry of it washing out under me.

Feel free to reply as soon as you get the chance. Thanks again, really enjoyed this review. Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey GDimac - my reference to the board as "not a pure carving" board was simply based on the marketing of the board. To put it simply, it carves better than I carve! If you can carve a deep trench, I'm sure it will do its job. As a fairly stiff S-rocker board you get the camber between your feet and it carves well, but I assume no one is going to buy it as a pure groomer carving board as that would ignore the purpose of the rocker nose.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Hey,

Thanks for the reply. And awesome, very happy to hear that. And how did you find it on jumps, natural hits etc? But ya, love that it has many strengths and specially attributes that I love on a snowboard.

·
Premium Member
2,957 Posts
GDimac, you already have a 155 Mullair, right? The FA was Nico's board when he was riding for Burton, and the design does seem quite similar, just 'Mervinised' I suppose. If you're going to get an FA, make it a 159 at least otherwise I think you'd have a lot of overlap between the two boards. As for jumps and natural hits, it eats them up. The tail really is quite stiff so it's a great platform to launch off of, and the big shovel doesn't want to sink which makes landing in powder easier too.

Reactions: GDimac

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GDimac - Phedder's advice on this subject will be far better than mine. I generally like to huck myself off things when the snow is perfect, but my trick skills are near zero. At the very least I have no competent ability to compare this board to anything else.

As for the length, I got the shorter board for the reasons I described above - small feet and wanting a more nimble board for trees. If I were solely riding open mountains I would likely have gotten at least the 159.

·
Registered
638 Posts
GDimac, you already have a 155 Mullair, right? The FA was Nico's board when he was riding for Burton, and the design does seem quite similar, just 'Mervinised' I suppose. If you're going to get an FA, make it a 159 at least otherwise I think you'd have a lot of overlap between the two boards. As for jumps and natural hits, it eats them up. The tail really is quite stiff so it's a great platform to launch off of, and the big shovel doesn't want to sink which makes landing in powder easier too.
Ya just read that recently actually, thought Nico rode the Custom for most of his career with Burton and one of the Family Tree boards in his later years with Burton, but just wasn't sure which one it was (thought it was the Tough Cat tbh).

And thanks for the lowdown on the FA's jump/natural hits ability, even more stoked to ride this baby. Ticks all the boxes for me: stiff/stable ride that eats up chop/chunder, great for sending it, rips on groomers and solid in pow. And looking to do more glades this season. This stick sounds like a dream loll. And seems to be that all those that reviewed this board, loved it across the board ... lol :nerd:

And with regards to the size, I think I'm still gonna go with the 156. Mainly cos like Kenai said, I also want to have a little more agility with it vs riding the 159. As both the 156 & 159 should have similar flex anyway. And it sounds like the FA is a bit stiffer than my Mullair and also slightly longer (I know, just a mere cm but ya lol), as GNU has the flex of the Mullair at 6ish/10 while Burton has the FA at around 7, if I remember Ridinbend's FA review correctly. On top of that, the Mullair seems to be the more playful between the 2. And it doesnt hurt that they're 2 diff board profiles (Mullair: CRC/FA: S-Rocker).

But again, all the insight and feedback was truly appreciated from both you and Kenai and was very helpful. Now just gotta wait for the board to come in to the shop :happy:

·
Premium Member
2,957 Posts
All good man, if you're stoked to ride it that's what counts. I'd also add that my abilities are far from advanced, especially in the trick department hah. On the FA I got to the extent of some big methods and a few small 3's. The only time I tried landing switch I ate shit haha. Still a blast of a board and I look forward to progressing to the point of really testing it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Thanks, dude.

And man, big methods and 3's sounds more than good enough to me. That's awesome. Hopefully I can do it some justice as well, and will def update along the way. Thanks again for the input, and stoked is an understatement loll.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Ya just read that recently actually, thought Nico rode the Custom for most of his career with Burton and one of the Family Tree boards in his later years with Burton, but just wasn't sure which one it was (thought it was the Tough Cat tbh).

And thanks for the lowdown on the FA's jump/natural hits ability, even more stoked to ride this baby. Ticks all the boxes for me: stiff/stable ride that eats up chop/chunder, great for sending it, rips on groomers and solid in pow. And looking to do more glades this season. This stick sounds like a dream loll. And seems to be that all those that reviewed this board, loved it across the board ... lol :nerd:

And with regards to the size, I think I'm still gonna go with the 156. Mainly cos like Kenai said, I also want to have a little more agility with it vs riding the 159. As both the 156 & 159 should have similar flex anyway. And it sounds like the FA is a bit stiffer than my Mullair and also slightly longer (I know, just a mere cm but ya lol), as GNU has the flex of the Mullair at 6ish/10 while Burton has the FA at around 7, if I remember Ridinbend's FA review correctly. On top of that, the Mullair seems to be the more playful between the 2. And it doesnt hurt that they're 2 diff board profiles (Mullair: CRC/FA: S-Rocker).

But again, all the insight and feedback was truly appreciated from both you and Kenai and was very helpful. Now just gotta wait for the board to come in to the shop :happy:
Dude, the mullair is nearly identical in its profile. It's not CRC and it has the same floaty shovel nose as the FA. Slightly less taper, but same stubby tail. Go to EL and check the mervin thread: they have pics (even though you already own it). You're likely to have two near identical boards.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Dude, the mullair is nearly identical in its profile. It's not CRC and it has the same floaty shovel nose as the FA. Slightly less taper, but same stubby tail. Go to EL and check the mervin thread: they have pics (even though you already own it). You're likely to have two near identical boards.
Na dude, they're significantly different and will have two very different all mountain personalities.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Ya, I dont know though cos even on the GNU site, their description of the Mullair says it has mellow rocker in the middle and camber underfoot:

"Aggressive dominant cambers out to the contacts combined with mild rocker between your feet. Subtle Banana rocker gives freestyle freedom with maximum end to end stability for big, high speed lines. For Aggressive skilled riders.

Read more at: http://www.gnu.com/snowboards/mullair-by-nicolas-muller/"

So in general speaking, it would still be considered CRC no?

And lol, RidinBend not sure if that was meant with a serious tone or on the sarcastic side of things. But if youre serious, that's even better to hear:nerd:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Ya, I dont know though cos even on the GNU site, their description of the Mullair says it has mellow rocker in the middle and camber underfoot:

"Aggressive dominant cambers out to the contacts combined with mild rocker between your feet. Subtle Banana rocker gives freestyle freedom with maximum end to end stability for big, high speed lines. For Aggressive skilled riders.

Read more at: http://www.gnu.com/snowboards/mullair-by-nicolas-muller/"

So in general speaking, it would still be considered CRC no?

And lol, RidinBend not sure if that was meant with a serious tone or on the sarcastic side of things. But if youre serious, that's even better to hear:nerd:
When you place the mullair on top of a flat surface, do you really see rocker anywhere? :) I'd skip the marketing stuff. There might be a flat section through he C3's arc whereas the FA's camber might be more elliptical, but it's more or less the same.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Na dude, they're significantly different and will have two very different all mountain personalities.

Loll so was that a serious statement? Not the best at reading tone via internet msging lol.

And Electro, fair enough. Appreciate your input tho regardless. Either way, at least I'll have 2 amazing sticks that I hope will last me a while, as these cost a pretty penny :S

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Loll so was that a serious statement? Not the best at reading tone via internet msging lol.

And Electro, fair enough. Appreciate your input tho regardless. Either way, at least I'll have 2 amazing sticks that I hope will last me a while, as these cost a pretty penny :S
Yeah I was serious. I have a flight attendant and love it. It's a full camber board. They're both all mountain boards yes, but if you rode them both in identical terrain one is going to feel very different from the other.

·
Registered
638 Posts

Yeah I was serious. I have a flight attendant and love it. It's a full camber board. They're both all mountain boards yes, but if you rode them both in identical terrain one is going to feel very different from the other.

Loll ok cool. That's encouraging to hear. Haven't had a chance to ride either yet, but will be riding the Mullair for sure next week on another trip to Quebec. And hopefully the FA will be delivered by then too. I will def share my experience with both ... can't wait. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Update

Finally got the new bae. 156 Burton FA :grin:

Paired it up with the EST Malavitas. Can't wait to take this baby out on its first trip next week. Will follow up on my thoughts on it.

But ya, incredibly thankful and excited with this 2-board quiver and hoping it lasts many years of awesome riding and memories. Will update asap :nerd:.

IMG_20151212_134233.jpg

IMG_20151211_165951.jpg

IMG_20151211_150654.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,957 Posts
Looks beautiful as always! How does the camber profile on them compare? Higher camber arc on the FA, more drawn out nose rocker on the Mullair?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts