Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice about deciding on the 158W vs 162W Gnu Riders Choice C3 for all mountain purposes .

A little background about myself:
6’3” 195lb size 12 boot. Intermediate rider located on the east coast but takes yearly trips out west. I mostly rider groomers and side hits but I’d like to start venturing to park jumps more. Most of my friends are skiers. All the sizing calculators say 160+. Already have a old 159W hybrid rocker that is too unstable that I’m looking to move away from.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think you would have more fun on the 158W unless you are always going very, very fast. The GNU website says that the 158W goes up to 220 lbs and the 162W to 250 lbs. It's a really wide board so I would size down a bit from your usual length. The 162W would be a slug in the park and side hits.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you would have more fun on the 158W unless you are always going very, very fast. The GNU website says that the 158W goes up to 220 lbs and the 162W to 250 lbs. It's a really wide board so I would size down a bit from your usual length. The 162W would be a slug in the park and side hits.
Thanks for the reply! I just measured and a 58w would only come up to the top my sternum. As you were suggesting, I’m concerned a 62w would be to sluggish but being 6’3” wouldn't the extra length be nice for my higher center of gravity? Especially since it seams like I’m in the middle weight wise for both boards.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I just measured and a 58w would only come up to the top my sternum. As you were suggesting, I’m concerned a 62w would be to sluggish but being 6’3” wouldn't the extra length be nice for my higher center of gravity? Especially since it seams like I’m in the middle weight wise for both boards.
It's a tough choice for sure. With previous boards, do you like being a little higher on the recommended weight limit or more middle of the road? It's all personal preference. Angry Snowboarder reviewed this board in 157.5 at 200 lbs, but he is known to ride smaller boards for his weight. Height is generally only relevant if a rider is really short and stocky or very tall and lanky. I think your weight is around average for your height.

The Rider's choice falls into the all-mountain freestyle category, so you definitely want to be able to throw it around and manipulate it. If this were a freeride board, then I would say go big all day. Other people should have good input.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a tough choice for sure. With previous boards, do you like being a little higher on the recommended weight limit or more middle of the road? It's all personal preference. Angry Snowboarder reviewed this board in 157.5 at 200 lbs, but he is known to ride smaller boards for his weight. Height is generally only relevant if a rider is really short and stocky or very tall and lanky. I think your weight is around average for your height.

The Rider's choice falls into the all-mountain freestyle category, so you definitely want to be able to throw it around and manipulate it. If this were a freeride board, then I would say go big all day. Other people should have good input.
I am of the lanky build, with long arms and legs. I definitely rather prioritize control and stability over going “fast” especially since this is a more advanced board….but thinking if I go with the smaller 58w it might impact my stability on steeps and groomers when im with my ski friends since its short on me plus trips to the west. Versus too long and uncontrollable on east coast since I’m already upping my size, keeping it wide, and going from a rocker to camber.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Depends on your priorities. Going fast to keep up with skiers—go longer. Hitting the park—shorter. Or better yet get two boards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I want to avoid the situation where I say “I wish I would have went longer this is unsteady like my libtech vs I’m out of my league and would been have more fun shorter”

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
I'm your size except for US10 boots and an advanced rider. I'd get the 158W and not think twice. The 162W will also work but the 158W will be more fun for you.

The C3 will be much more stable than a similarly sized hybrid rocker, so don't worry about stability. The C3 profile grabs like a champ so even if you lay it over really hard it's got you.

For the sake of comparison, I've ridden the Lib Box Knife in a 157 (regular) and had a great time carving on it. The RCC3 will be stiffer and more aggressive than that, especially in a 158W.

The only reason I'd get the 162W is if I planned on hauling ass all the time on groomers only. Out west you're going to have an easier time on moguls and through trees with skiers on a shorter board too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I’m your same height and was the same weight when I bought mine (these days I’m a little heavier), and I got a 166w and rode it for about 8 seasons and loved it. This is riding almost exclusively at Mammoth. I however essentially never go in the park save for a jump lap once in a blue moon. For bombing groomers, powder days, and side hits, I loved it. I personally always like being on the bigger side of the spectrum as far as boards go. I’ve rarely ever wished I was on a smaller board, except for in the trees once in awhile, but I have found myself wishing I was riding something bigger. It’s all personal preference I guess. My vote is 162w.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
The C3 will be much more stable than a similarly sized hybrid rocker, so don't worry about stability. The C3 profile grabs like a champ so even if you lay it over really hard it's got you.
What they said. RC C3 is at its core a very capable freestyle board. In addition to C3, it also has magnetraction so you'll have edge grip for days. I'd also be inclined to choose the 58W for this board. As for a bomber board to race skiers with, there are much better boards for that.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice about deciding on the 158W vs 162W Gnu Riders Choice C3 for all mountain purposes .

A little background about myself:
6’3” 195lb size 12 boot. Intermediate rider located on the east coast but takes yearly trips out west. I mostly rider groomers and side hits but I’d like to start venturing to park jumps more. Most of my friends are skiers. All the sizing calculators say 160+. Already have a old 159W hybrid rocker that is too unstable that I’m looking to move away from.
Will you be riding a lot of switch or hitting rails/boxes & park features?

Just wondering if you are set on a twin and if you would consider something directional, such as a Lib Tech Dynamo.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts