1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weight: 155
Board size: 153
Boot size: 10.5

Riding style: I just started snowboarding last season, and have been 8 times. I want a board that is mostly freestyle but wont sink in the powder in back-country.....

So I am looking for 75% Park, 25% back-country/freeride

Budget: $500 for boots, bindings, board

Tell me if my current board type is right:
-All-Mountain Freestyle
-Directional-Twin
-Responsive Feel

I am looking into buying the Burton Custom ICS Snowboard - 2009
Is that a good board?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Seriously you've ridin 8 times and you are worried about a board with responsive feel??? get a used board off craigslist like a 155, save most of your 500 for lift tickets. You want to be a good rider? A Burton Custom ICS won't make you better. More times and ride with guys that are better than you.

But don't listen to me, I started snowboarding 7 years before you were born.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just because i am new to snowboarding and want to make sure i have a good snowboard to learn on, doesn't mean you have to be a dick about it because you have been riding longer than me.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I'm not trying to be a dick. I'm just telling you the truth. Any board in your size range made in the last 10 years would be good enough for you to learn on.

If I was your age, I would be more worried about getting a season pass and rides to the mountain.

·
Registered
10,409 Posts
I agree with finding a decent used board. I bought my first board for $75 off of CL at about the same stage as you're at now. I still use it as my rock board and just to beat around on.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All the boards i find on CL are like 164 cm...

I want a good board that will feel good and make it easy to learn....

my Christmas present is going to be a season pass and all my friends that drive, also snowboard....so Rides and season pass dont worry me

·
Registered
10,409 Posts
That board is old as shit. I think Burton used that turtles graphic back in the late '90s.

If that Ride with K2s is as described, that's a steal for $100. It'd be at least an email to get pics.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
ya the custom is from 06 and it has some scratches...

what year would that ride control be from?
what type of riding is it made for?

I was looking at reviews and people say that its pretty stiff and cant handle park very well, and that its hard to turn....

how bout these boards?
Lib Tech-SkateBanana
Burton- Custom V rocker
Burton-Custom ICS
Forum- YoungBlood CD

My favorite so far is the Custom ICS

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
If you want the custom ics then get the custom ics. Solid board nothing wrong with it will last you a while etc.

FYI I agree with everyone else, but I also remember myself at 16 looking to buy my 2nd board and wanting the sickest stick I could get regardless of how good i was at snowboarding then. Get the board you want and enjoy the shred

·
Registered
258 Posts
do what you wanna do, try to demo a few boards before you drop like 600$ on a board haha
you should be able to find something cheaper than that though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
how do you demo boards????

I dont want to wait till the season starts and also I live in Vegas and have never seen anything about demoing boards....

I have made up my mind and I am buying the Capita Sierrascope FK Snowboard 2010

I am gonna wait for boots and binding to go 50% off....

Board:$300
Boots:$70
Bindings: $70

·
Registered
10,409 Posts

I dont want to wait till the season starts and also I live in Vegas and have never seen anything about demoing boards....

Your first step is to buy good boots that fit correctly. Your chances of doing this for $70 is pretty slim. Don't just buy boots online without trying them on first.

We've all been in your spot before and been stoked to buy our first snowboard. My suggestion is to find boots that fit correctly and that provide the support you're looking for. Spend whatever they cost. Now you have your budget for board and bindings. If your budget is in the $450 range for boots, bindings, and board, I certainly wouldn't spend $300 of it on the board.

·
Registered
569 Posts

from what i learned when i first started, i would try and get a decent used board thats not beat up, and spend most the money on good boots!! good boots make snowboarding fun, if u got boots that ur feet start hurting after 1 or 2 hrs, then its no longer fun ur just worried about sticking it out another hr! try and see what u can find

·
Registered
19 Posts
Your first step is to buy good boots that fit correctly. Your chances of doing this for $70 is pretty slim. Don't just buy boots online without trying them on first.
I always seem things like this poping up all over the forum but tbh i got 40 dollar boots k they're ugly and yes they hurted the first 3/4 days but after that they never hurted my feet again. i guess i was damm lucky or something dunno but i'm sure if you look hard and if you don't care to much about the looks you can find some decent boots under 70 dollar ...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts