Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I recently just started snowboarding. Been on a few week long trips with some friends and now I'm looking at getting my first board. I'm sure this has all been answered before, but i'd love some help. I'm about 175cm (5'9) 80 kgs (180 lbs) and i wear a US size 10.5 shoe. I'm looking at getting a Burton Clash, or a K2 Brigade, for no particular reason, other than i read they were good beginner boards. I am however worried about outgrowing them and needing a new one too soon. Also I'm not sure what size i would need, I live a long way from any snow so I'll need to get everything online. If anyone could help me out on the size, or even a recommendation on a board it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Luke.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Hey, I recently just started snowboarding. Been on a few week long trips with some friends and now I'm looking at getting my first board. I'm sure this has all been answered before, but i'd love some help. I'm about 175cm (5'9) 80 kgs (180 lbs) and i wear a US size 10.5 shoe. I'm looking at getting a Burton Clash, or a K2 Brigade, for no particular reason, other than i read they were good beginner boards. I am however worried about outgrowing them and needing a new one too soon. Also I'm not sure what size i would need, I live a long way from any snow so I'll need to get everything online. If anyone could help me out on the size, or even a recommendation on a board it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Luke.
When you say your a beginner, are you capable of linking turns? And what is you're price range? If your skill level is progressing rapidly I'd say buy a board you will grow in to and not out of. Others may disagree

·
Registered
12,603 Posts

Thanks Luke.
Bump up from the Brigade to the Raygun you'll be happier in the long run. Get the 56.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Best advice I can give is to buy your boots first, and if you can find a store ANYWHERE it is much better to try them on. Not only are boot sizes much more critical than shoe sizes, different models and brands fit significantly different.

For board sizing, something in the mid 150s or so should work for your height and weight. Aim for 155-157 or so, a little shorter wouldn't hurt but I wouldn't go too long for a first board.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm basically the same size and have riddin a k2 Brigade 158 for last couple years. It was my first board and if I remember right it's also an intermediate board. At least with me my board went through hell when I started out, I like the trees but they are not very forgiving so plan on your first board taking a beating and don't spend a fortune. Boots you definitely want to try on first hand. Snugness and comfort are key...

·
Registered
745 Posts
Brigade makes a great jib board to fuck about in, mid soft directional flex with just enough in the tail, super soft nose and enough setback to discover some powder for your first time. You'll outgrow it when you get speed as nose chatter makes gunning down the hill a nuisance. For a fuck about cruising down the mountain board its ok, if you like pushing yourself the raygun is more than enough board to last you a few seasons through your progression.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yeah, I am linking turns and i think I'm progressing reasonably quickly. Price does play a role, I live in Australia, and I'm about a 12 hour drive from the nearest snow so I'll only be going a few times a year, but in one or two week blocks so i don't want to break the bank on something i won't use enough, but I still want something that will be good and cheaper then renting everytime.

As for boots, the pairs I've rented have always been a size 10.5, and they felt good. I'm looking at getting a set of Nike Vapens, only because i like Nike.
everyone seems to be pretty keen on the Raygun, so I'll definitely look into that, but like i said i don't want something too expensive as I'm a beginner and i wont get to use it as much as I would like.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Yeah, I am linking turns and i think I'm progressing reasonably quickly. Price does play a role, I live in Australia, and I'm about a 12 hour drive from the nearest snow so I'll only be going a few times a year, but in one or two week blocks so i don't want to break the bank on something i won't use enough, but I still want something that will be good and cheaper then renting everytime.

As for boots, the pairs I've rented have always been a size 10.5, and they felt good. I'm looking at getting a set of Nike Vapens, only because i like Nike.
everyone seems to be pretty keen on the Raygun, so I'll definitely look into that, but like i said i don't want something too expensive as I'm a beginner and i wont get to use it as much as I would like.
I agree with BAvenger. I typically suggest Never Summer but the Raygun 156 seems a perfect fit for what you are needing from it. You would not be disappointed. From what I read in this forum alot and also agree with, the most important and difficult buy you will have are boots. Unless you get lucky. There are tons of badass boards that would be perfect for you but boots are a bit more tricky. If your ankles and feet hurt when you ride then you won't enjoy the ride no matter how good the board is.

A possible option for your situation. Put your boot money aside from your trip money and when you get there, try on a bunch of different types and find your perfect fit.

If you get impatient I have the Nike zoom ites and my girl rocks the Vapen. Both are awesome boots and comfy. But it's a roll of the dice to buy boots without first trying them on.

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
Not ganging up on you at all. In fact I am pretty sure I offered to help out.

The community will dog pile on ya if you get out of line. That can happen to anyone though, myself included.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Best advice I can give is to buy your boots first, and if you can find a store ANYWHERE it is much better to try them on. Not only are boot sizes much more critical than shoe sizes, different models and brands fit significantly different.
This. Good boots most important.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts