Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just wondering if anyone here is or was a ski/snowboard patrol and if you could share your experience cause i'm taking an EMT course right now and would love to be snowboard patrol in a few seasons. I would do this for a season after i graduate before going into grad school.

Things i want to know...

how is the work?
how good of a rider do u need to be?
hiring process?
any age requirements?
does having a BS degree help in getting hired?
is it fun or no? (why)

Thanks in advance

any one that has info on the topic please help me out =)

·
Registered
105 Posts
It's a pretty serious job, but it can be a blast (literallyy, avalanche blasting)

Most resorts won't let snowboarders be on patrol because you can't carry a sled or traverse while strapped in. They don't mind if you snowboard in your off time, but when on patrol you'll be on ski's.

As for skill level, from my experience, very high. You have to be able to get in and out of some VERY sketchy situations and do it towing the sled with someone in it while not injuring them further.

College degree won't matter, EMT will be very helpful.

·
Premium Member
4,499 Posts
paid patroller? get some skis. learn to ski. learn to ski better. learn to ski bumps on a 45 degree pitch.

volunteer patroller? you can snowboard.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have in mind my more local resorts, and i ride there all the time, there are a lot of paid snowboard patrollers. This is Snow Summit, Bear Mtn, Mt. High type resorts so i really don't think they do any avalanche blasting haha (i wish though hehe)

·
Registered
12,623 Posts
You need your level 1 EMT Certificate, Outdoor 1st responder, CPR/First Aid, to be able to ski and snowboard, and a few other things. The pay is shit unless you make it to the upper echelon and even then it isn't shit.

·
Registered
251 Posts
volunteer... free lifts (for friends as well) so it works out well... only out one or two days a week. given , this is ontario, so we don't get much serious crap here... the occasional big deal, but not much else...

riding, expected to be able to ride anything, but no particulars (as in, no switch, no park stuff, whatever) have to take a couple courses they offer and charge you for (whether you have the qualifications or not)...

its fun though...

A

·
0 Posts
i was just wondering if anyone here is or was a ski/snowboard patrol...
i think if you want to pursue this position, you should learn what it's called. you won't be "a ski patrol" you'll be "a member of ski patrol" or "a ski patroller".

:\
You need...to be able to ski and snowboard...
obviously ymmv but i work at a major tahoe resort and there is no requirement for patrollers to be able to do both.

alasdair

·
Registered
8,283 Posts
Talked to a board patroller earlier in the season at Baker, he said setting ropes in poo sucked on a board...but you get good at 1 footy, but patrolling the hill in poo was better on a board than on skis and there was something about tobaggan that was easier on a board than skis...think it was about not having to coordinate/syncronize turns with a sled as you do with skis.

·
Registered
251 Posts
hmmm... we're different... they say a toboggan on a board is too choppy for the person in it. so that duty always goes to the skiiers. well, actually it tends to go to the snowmobiles, but in the case when its done by a person... always skiis.

as i said before though... this is ontario... the hill is like 300 feet. we should just put em on a crazy carpet and send em down.

D

·
0 Posts
boarder patrol

It's a pretty serious job, but it can be a blast (literallyy, avalanche blasting)

Most resorts won't let snowboarders be on patrol because you can't carry a sled or traverse while strapped in. They don't mind if you snowboard in your off time, but when on patrol you'll be on ski's.

As for skill level, from my experience, very high. You have to be able to get in and out of some VERY sketchy situations and do it towing the sled with someone in it while not injuring them further.

College degree won't matter, EMT will be very helpful.
yup,
been doing it on a board for a few years now. love it! way easier than skis to tow a toboggan. but traversing does suck a little. this makes a big difference on control days (when we blow things up!)
all in all its a killer job. and highly recommended. need more boarders to get into it to change peoples perception.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Just bumpin' and old thread. I'm certain that there have to be some patrollers on here. I'm picking it up this year. Definitely need more riders to get into it.

Anyone?

·
Registered
6 Posts
i was just wondering if anyone here is or was a ski/snowboard patrol and if you could share your experience cause i'm taking an EMT course right now and would love to be snowboard patrol in a few seasons. I would do this for a season after i graduate before going into grad school.

Things i want to know...

how is the work?
hiring process?
any age requirements?
is it fun or no? (why)

Thanks in advance

Things i want to know...

how is the work?
hiring process?
any age requirements?
is it fun or no? (why)

Thanks in advance

Well depending on your live where you live I suggest that you learn how to ski I do know the trend is resorts are hiring less and less snowboarders and would really prefer skiers. I don't agree with it at all but I'm not in charge... I really don't think it's gonna make a big difference if you're OEC or you are EMT assuming you want to stay on your snowboard although if you decide to become a skier and you are an EMT that is carte blanche. I live here in Snowmass/Aspen I can ski all the terrain in the whole valley not a problem, 43 years of ocean rescue experience (EastEndOceanrescue.org), ... I can run a rig in any terrain., assuming I have someone good on the rope. My communication skills in a 911 situation and public relations is off the hook... It's been made pretty clear there are no way they are hiring snowboarders around here I even poked around on the front range..... I'll keep applying ... I'm not gonna hold my breath, but expect nothing and be ready for anything.

·
Registered
97 Posts
A 2010 thread brought back from the dead in 2015, and then again in 2020. I'm sure he has moved on the 10 years since he started this thread.

But to touch on the topic, making your hobby into work can be a bad idea. I'm a fire fighter/paramedic, and I looked into ski patrol and quickly realized it wasn't worth it, and I would rather just snowboard to enjoy it. I'm also a dive master, and was asked to take over leading my old departments dive team and refused, had no interest in even being part of the team even though I was by far the most experienced diver in the area. I figured pulling dead kids out of frozen ponds was a quick way to ruin one of my passions and favorite hobbies. Just because you enjoy snowboarding/skiing doesn't necessarily translate into enjoying ski patrol. But if you are young and short on cash, it's a great way to get a free season pass or something on your resume.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A 2010 thread brought back from the dead in 2015, and then again in 2020. I'm sure he has moved on the 10 years since he started this thread.

But to touch on the topic, making your hobby into work can be a bad idea. I'm a fire fighter/paramedic, and I looked into ski patrol and quickly realized it wasn't worth it, and I would rather just snowboard to enjoy it. I'm also a dive master, and was asked to take over leading my old departments dive team and refused, had no interest in even being part of the team even though I was by far the most experienced diver in the area. I figured pulling dead kids out of frozen ponds was a quick way to ruin one of my passions and favorite hobbies. Just because you enjoy snowboarding/skiing doesn't necessarily translate into enjoying ski patrol. But if you are young and short on cash, it's a great way to get a free season pass or something on your resume.
Well said Greg

1 - 20 of 34 Posts