Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I do sometimes. Most places will take your lift ticket if you are caught though... the boundaries are set for general safety though, so it's not recommended.

With that said, some of the best riding I've experienced was on a slope that was closed because they didn't think there was enough base to open it for the public...

I smell troll.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,443 Posts
:)
What did you intend with this question? You'll get a bunch of posts with "yes"... Now, what exactly did you want to ask?

·
The Rooster King
3,821 Posts
if you duck ropes at ski resorts expect one or more of the following things to happen:

- your lift ticket/season pass pulled
- S&R costs/fines
- getting lost and spending the night(s) out in the snowy wilderness
- dying a horrific death in an avalanche, fall off a cliff, other snow burial, hypothermia, etc.

if you want to ride backcountry and live, do it right. this involves learning. this will require to do research on your own.

·
The Rooster King
3,821 Posts
Asking about any ones experience riding out bounds ? Plain and simple
riding "out of bounds" is for idiots and gapers. its that simple.

if you want to ride backcountry like a fucking badass, you need to take it upon yourself to learn how to do it and minimize risk.

i don't ride lifts/resorts much anymore, mostly snowmobiles and splitboards to get me where i'm going.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah it is . Did it once last year fresh snow the night before! Ski patrol was right there riding the lift shouting "stop stop". I took of right to my car a rolled out. Plain stupidity in my part putting my self in that position of being caught. Vowed right then and there never to do it again..

·
The Rooster King
3,821 Posts
It's fun, but you had better do your homework before you duck.
if you're ducking ropes at the resort, do you wear a beacon, probe and shovel and always ride with a partner, drop one at a time, keeping within eyesight? if you answered no to anything you should probably sack up and learn to ride real backcountry.

if you answered yes, you should sack up and ride real backcountry and get off the resorts, quit making ski patrol and S&R follow your tracks out of bounds, wasting their time and possibly distracting them from real emergencies. not to mention your tracks acting as a beacon for every retarded weekend warrior to follow to their death below the catchline.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
riding "out of bounds" is for idiots and gapers. its that simple.

if you want to ride backcountry like a fucking badass, you need to take it upon yourself to learn how to do it and minimize risk.

i don't ride lifts/resorts much anymore, mostly snowmobiles and splitboards to get me where i'm going.
This is true it is for idiots ! I'm not talking about back country riding!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What is your deal. I'm agreeing with you . The main reason if for this is for people to learn from those mistakes made by others.

·
The Rooster King
3,821 Posts
What is your deal. I'm agreeing with you . The main reason if for this is for people to learn from those mistakes made by others.
"my deal" is that i've been doing this for over 20 years, i've had friends die in the mountains, and people think that just because you're at the resort you can do what ever the fuck you want. you can't.

ducking ropes isn't that funny when someone dies. that shit is real. it happens.

what the fuck. i thought i dropped the mic on this thread. fucking done.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For even stating this thread . To any one that has been through something tragic doing some as stupid as this, my apologies. Thread over should have never started it to begin with . Completely my fault. Peace

·
With extra cheese.
1,750 Posts
Well, at least you sacked up and admitted it, I can respect that. I'm not sure but some places seemed to have quasi bounded areas that are "at your own risk" in the sense that they won't nab you for going out of bounds but they just can't necessarily provide the same level of control and safety.

I went out of bounds by mistake this March riding up at Keystone. I was riding South Bowl off Wapiti Peak back in the Outback area and came down through Teletrees and went skiier's left too far. I ended up going through a lot of meadows due to pow fever and because the snowpack was so deep, I lost all my speed. I made it through a few but I eventually came to a stop in an eerily silent meadow with the sun beating down on me. Nothing happened but I did have to spend a ton of energy getting out of about chest deep snow going uphill back to the trail about 75 yards. My buddy was about to call ski patrol by the time I made it back down. I felt like an asshole and a clown. I'm not even sure it was out of bounds since it's not marked that much back there but it just goes to show that you need to pick your lines carefully no matter where you are going.

I also rode off Loveland Pass on a wicked pow day Tuesday in April because the lines at Basin were so fuckin' long and all the resort employees were done and half the Denver metro area must have called in to come ride. We did so without beacons, probes, shovels or any real avy training. I was reticent to go in the first place and tried to talk the others out of going. I ended up taking two lines and then just was the driver for the rest of the day. About a week later, that bad avy killed 5...

·
The Swiss Miss
7,443 Posts
Sorry, I don't think it's idiotic... I do that a lot in my home resort. When ever there's fresh and avy danger at a reasonable level, we only use groomers to get back to the lift. Beacon, showel, probe, safety distances, check each slope for possible dangers. Evidently. Why not backcountry then? Cos if up there early, I get many untacked verticals and the convenience of a close by resort (bar, sausages and a lift that takes you up). No such thing as ski patrols taking your pass here... why should they? Out of the groomer is out of the resort, not their responsibility. It's just normal to duck ropes. No local stays on the groomers if there's fresh left and right. If in a resort I don't know, I only ride SC if I have a good view on the terrain out of the cable car or from below so we know the line to go (including all the other SOP safety measures). Or go with a local guide.
Haha, try to ride a snowmobile here.... THEN they'd be after you! They don't exist. Splitting is wonderful for the following days after a storm when the SC is tracked.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts