Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Any true Black Friday deals?

1541 32
I am about to pull the trigger on some new gear, and have been waiting for the coming Black Friday/Week sales.
As the general BF-sale is mostly a hoax, with ramped-up prices, I was hoping you budding forum-members could maybe share some tips or hidden gems!?

I live in the EU, so does someone know any shops with interesting deals here?

Thanks!
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Registered
2,902 Posts
Ahh yes, you'll have to forgive me as an American i sometimes forget large chunks of the world aren't completely soul-less :). I hadn't been aware the entirety of the EU had agreed on MAP. But that is where the shipping and shopping in other countries I mentioned comes in to play. There are exclusivity agreements and other rules they use as analternative.

Nope. unless pre-arranged in contracts, which can happen. But even those are rare. US price reduction on inline in-season product is largely unchangeable (without breaching contracts which some people do do).

Not really. They have some offbrands/carryover models on discount and that's it for inline. I think their marketing may have gotten you. They do have a couple models of boards that are actually EVO owned models but made under other brands. But since they own the model they own the pricing (IE Salmon Sight X, Arbor Element LTD, etc) But by no mean do they have over 100 name brand inline discounted models.
Lab, I've found years ago (maybe still the same now?) I couldn't buy anything in Burton from the USA unless I shipped it to a forwarder via me having a postal address in the USA. Other brands, no prob's, however I've never had any problems with anything purchased out of Europe though. I've found Aussie prices have dropped considerably over the years even though our $AU has crashed to the $US. You can get some super deals down here now that are often close too or better than the USA. I can't explain this as it works against logic. I've discovered that a few Au snowboarding retail outlets have Ebay sites and Ebay will chuck up to extra 20% off all their store site items regularly with different promo's. You get a bill from the shop in the delivery saying the price without the discount but only pay the reduced price through Ebay. Not sure who's spotting the difference here but it's a big win for the buyer. I've grabbed a few snowboards/outerwear at over 50% off delivered like this.

Snowboarding/skiing is such an expensive sport without having to pay full RRP for your entire gear/outerwear setup (especially fitting up a family). If you are in the know you can clearly soften the blow here greatly.

· Registered
2,839 Posts
Lab, I've found years ago (maybe still the same now?) I couldn't buy anything in Burton from the USA unless I shipped it to a forwarder via me having a postal address in the USA. Other brands, no prob's, however I've never had any problems with anything purchased out of Europe though. I've found Aussie prices have dropped considerably over the years even though our $AU has crashed to the $US. You can get some super deals down here now that are often close too or better than the USA. I can't explain this as it works against logic. I've discovered that a few Au snowboarding retail outlets have Ebay sites and Ebay will chuck up to extra 20% off all their store site items regularly with different promo's. You get a bill from the shop in the delivery saying the price without the discount but only pay the reduced price through Ebay. Not sure who's spotting the difference here but it's a big win for the buyer. I've grabbed a few snowboards/outerwear at over 50% off delivered like this.

Snowboarding/skiing is such an expensive sport without having to pay full RRP for your entire gear/outerwear setup (especially fitting up a family). If you are in the know you can clearly soften the blow here greatly.
The system is massive and complicated when talking international. Don't want to hijack the thread too much but drop shipping is necessary in a number of countries for a number of issues. Some are fraud risk, some are brand induced, sometimes it's just too expensive otherwise. Then there's the EU for example has restriction areas so a shop cant advertise or target to buyers outside their restricted area. HOWEVER say I go on unsolicited to a European retailer and find a board on the EU site and order it they can't prevent that. And then there's times Burton comes in and goes you are a US retailer, we don't want you stepping on our Australian market because the price differences would hurt or Australian dealers who we want to keep happy so you can't sell to that market because it would put them out of business.

Australia is also another beast in that seasons are swapped. Off season sales are the opposite of NA and the EU. At the end of the day there's no magic way to get gear for cheap. Margins aren't great on most of it, and then if sold on a third party system (IE Amazon, eBay etc) retailers may be making 15% on the sale. Theres a reason theres actually only a couple online retailers of gear, and most of those are umbrella owned.

· Registered
2,902 Posts
The system is massive and complicated when talking international. Don't want to hijack the thread too much but drop shipping is necessary in a number of countries for a number of issues. Some are fraud risk, some are brand induced, sometimes it's just too expensive otherwise. Then there's the EU for example has restriction areas so a shop cant advertise or target to buyers outside their restricted area. HOWEVER say I go on unsolicited to a European retailer and find a board on the EU site and order it they can't prevent that. And then there's times Burton comes in and goes you are a US retailer, we don't want you stepping on our Australian market because the price differences would hurt or Australian dealers who we want to keep happy so you can't sell to that market because it would put them out of business.

Australia is also another beast in that seasons are swapped. Off season sales are the opposite of NA and the EU. At the end of the day there's no magic way to get gear for cheap. Margins aren't great on most of it, and then if sold on a third party system (IE Amazon, eBay etc) retailers may be making 15% on the sale. Theres a reason theres actually only a couple online retailers of gear, and most of those are umbrella owned.
The big thing I don't understand is how Snowboard gear was relatively pretty damn expensive retail wise in Australia a decade ago when our $Au1 was like $US1.08 and now that it's like $Au0.67 to the $US1 Snowboard gear is just so much cheaper (mainly when on sale). Australia is such a tiny little blob on the snowboarding market World stage, in fact on mostly all shit. I know our shipments into the Country are pretty small with Mediums and Larges in outerwear and mid length boards etc moving pretty fast each season. I fortunately have the luxury that I'm XL in outerwear and need longer boards with hardware while the wife is XS and this gear is always the last to move each season so always available on great EOS savings. Not sure how much the massive growth in online sales over the decade has to do with this.

· Registered
1,178 Posts
Margins aren't great on most of it, and then if sold on a third party system (IE Amazon, eBay etc) retailers may be making 15% on the sale.
Most of the outwear I buy is 50-75 % off while they still make money on it.
My friend has a bud in one ski/snowboard factory (in EU) and he told me that the cost of producing a board retailed for 700-800 EUR is around 150 EUR.
Retail prices of googles are just hilarious.

Either the margins are super high or there are too many middlemen to feed.

· Registered
2,902 Posts
My friend has a bud in one ski/snowboard factory (in EU) and he told me that the cost of producing a board retailed for 700-800 EUR is around 150 EUR.

Exactly. I'm buying all my hardware and outerwear at around 30 to 50% off delivered over the years and all these stores are still powering along with business.

· Registered
2,839 Posts

Exactly. I'm buying all my hardware and outerwear at around 30 to 50% off delivered over the years and all these stores are still powering along with business.
No... HAHAHAHA no. Quick breakdown

A: Softgoods (IE outerwear) are a different market than Hardgoods (IE boards, Boots, Bindings) Softgoods do have SLIGHTLY higher margins due to how ridiculous large amounts of inventory you will have left unsold due to number of skus. But no retailshop is making a dime off selling any of it at 50-75% off. Not even close. Softgoods you will always get the deepest discounts on because you will have 50 leftover brown XXL jackets and 30 XS Magenta in the same style, but the Burton Custom Snowboard has only a size variation and like 6 skus. You can calculate and plan for sellthrough much easier. If you can hit 50% margin on outerwear youde be the industry leader by a mile

B: Manufacturing costs are so far from what retail margin is. Most brands don't press their own product. You're buddy was right about the cost to produce a board in a large scale factory but failed to calculate EVERYTHING else. The factory produces the board for $150 in materials and labor, they then sell it to the brand for $250 so they make their margin. Then the brand has to pay to import and ship them to their country (no small feat currently in this supply chain). Now they get landed costs in the $300. THEN they have to sell that to a retailer. The brand needs to make money so they sell it to the retailer $500, retailer then has to pay to have it shipped to them as well, landed retailer cost is now $520. They then advertise starting price for that board at $800 which is only 45% margin, and the $800 boards are the ones that only a fraction of sell for full starting retail. MAP will likely only be $700.

Source: I have 3 different brand forms on Excel open right nowwith dealership discount rates, margin and MAP pricing. Goggles you're right on though, but it's all eyewear, and it's brand markup not retailer markup.

· Registered
1,178 Posts
You're buddy was right about the cost to produce a board in a large scale factory but failed to calculate EVERYTHING else.
So he didn’t fail to calculate everything. That’s the cost of producing a board for labour and materials.
Add the shipping and the rest is the middlemen and margin.

· Super Moderator
1,696 Posts
Signal Tailgunner on sale BF deal for those interested

· Registered
1,373 Posts
Signal Tailgunner on sale BF deal for those interested
Wow. Everything on sale. Good deals!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
same situation, i found a 2022 superpig, keep telling myself that 350 euros is a good price. how much for yours? would pair with a last year new c8 binding that i just got from ebay for 135....
@fraxmental I think 350 euro seem like a great price, as mine was like 400. Added some Union Stratas (same deal) for about 200. Best thing is, I don't have to pay until January... but as we all suffer economically around that part of the year, let's see how smart this purchase was in the end he he!
However, I have no experience on any of them... bought the setup blind online... so will have to get back with a review :)

21 - 33 of 33 Posts