Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
Yes Standard
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Use Hot Sauce and want to get my board an edge job at the shop.. They use Booger Red.. anybody ever use this stuff? I know it’s made in PNW so I assume it works good out here.
They said it’s fine to bring my own wax but I never know it’s that’s not really cool. Haha

· Registered
2,180 Posts
never heard of it, but i'm a religious user of one ball. i've never thought to bring wax to a shop before. when i can't do it myself i usually request a temp specific wax if they have it, otherwise just go with what they have. if you spoke to the shop and they're cool with you brining your own wax why not do it; it saves them money and costs you the same either way.

when i'm too lazy to do my own oil changes, i do bring and give the shop my own filter to use

· Registered
650 Posts
The tech might talk shit about your behind your back to the customer service folks but who cares lol.

FWIW Johnny Lupo of Boardworks Tech Shop, the best tech I know and maybe the best snowboard tech in North America not named Ryan McDermott, speaks really highly of Booger Red. They were apparently the first shop anywhere to stock it. He endorses it on his product page (the bigger version). I bought some to support the shop when I swung through Bellingham a few years ago, slides great. I honestly don't pay enough attention to know if it slides better than Hertel, but I didn't notice a big drop-off and I'm not racing for hundredths of a second.

I've been riding Hertel for like 10 years, but I will probably switch to Booger Red because:
  • Booger Red slides fine and the price seems comparable (not 100% sure because they don't provide weight, but in the ballpark).
  • Booger Red is the only wax other than Hertel I know of that claims to be all wax for all conditions. Like not "all-temp", but functional in all conditions. So I don't have to fuss with the right temp wax.
  • Booger Red is snowboarder-owned.
  • Terry Hertel is an insane, high-ego Boomer Trump-y maniac who seems like the type to take photos with an iPad and rant and rave about kids these days lol. His little rants* make his marketing emails an unintentional comedy favorite, but I'm not so stoked to keep giving him money.
    • Also Hertel is trying to sell the company and retire, but can't find a buyer because he's a crazy person with unreasonable terms**. So he may just piss off (or even just croak) and the product's no longer available.
Really my own beef with is the nose and booger thing is gimmicky and juvenile and kind of unpredictable to melt / rub compared to a simple block. But if it slides well and I don't have to bother with temp-specific, who cares.

* Actual marketing copy from an email from January 12 of this year: "Hertel Ski Wax, Inventory running low, Jan 12, As you look at the site, you can see many items are sold out. That is the end for them. The company is still for sale but finding someone qualified is not looking good. Nobody wants to work. Hertel Ski."

** Not going to go too much in details how I know this, but I'll just say I know someone who has some insight into Terry as a person and the sales negotiations.

· Registered
53 Posts
Getting snowboard waxed is bit hit or miss. Iv noticed lots of places using softer hot wax despite it would be really cold. Cold temp wax takes much more effort to scrape and buff so they just want to do it easy and use warmer temp waxes to get job done fast and base looks "good". Thats why i wax my own snowboards.

· Registered
650 Posts
Getting snowboard waxed is bit hit or miss. Iv noticed lots of places using softer hot wax despite it would be really cold. Cold temp wax takes much more effort to scrape and buff so they just want to do it easy and use warmer temp waxes to get job done fast and base looks "good". Thats why i wax my own snowboards.
Doesn't shock me. Gotta find a spot that takes pride in their work and won't shortcut. Unfortunately simple truth is most shops will probably take the shortcut because the vast majority of snowboarding consumers can't even tell the difference.

· Registered
Yes Standard
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Word:) yeah I’ll probably just use their wax, it’s only one wax job. I usually wax my own but don’t wanna mess with the edges on my newish board cause I only have the Dakine edge tuner that’s kinda cheap. So I’m basically bringing it in for that.. Don’t need to have them wax it, but that’s part of the tune:) Thanks for the replies!!!

· Registered
Yes Standard
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dropped my board of there.. Great place, friendly folks:) they asked if I wanted my contact points detuned with the edge work and I had no clue what to say. Haha so I said no just cause I wasn’t sure what that means for my ride.. Do you guys get your contacts points detuned or just leave them? My board is R/C/R and don’t ever have problems with catching and edge and ride 0 park. Thanks in advance!

· Registered
Amplid splitboard, Phantom Bindings, Atomic Blackland
9,063 Posts
Dropped my board of there.. Great place, friendly folks:) they asked if I wanted my contact points detuned with the edge work and I had no clue what to say. Haha so I said no just cause I wasn’t sure what that means for my ride.. Do you guys get your contacts points detuned or just leave them? My board is R/C/R and don’t ever have problems with catching and edge and ride 0 park. Thanks in advance!
Son, back away from the koolaid... you been riding in that spaceship for too long... or not long enough.

· Registered
1,066 Posts
You're not detuning the contact points. what you're detuning are the edges about a 1" forward to the tap, and about an 1" to the tail from the front and rear contact points, so the shovels don't get all catchy

· Registered
30 Posts
Use Hot Sauce and want to get my board an edge job at the shop.. They use Booger Red.. anybody ever use this stuff? I know it’s made in PNW so I assume it works good out here.
They said it’s fine to bring my own wax but I never know it’s that’s not really cool. Haha
Hertel "Hot Sauce" is da bomb ! It works in all conditions, It's all that I use.I don't know why they would be offended, maybe you know something , that they don't. ;) 🤙

· Registered
20 Posts
I use a better-quality wax then most shops, however I offer higher end wax for the more techy types.
Also, before I change a wax or a technique, I always prove it out on my equipment first.
I would have no problem if a customer brought in their own wax tho.

· Registered
Yes Standard
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
So I got three days on the Booger Reds wax and I will say that shit is fast as fuck!! Super smooth and looks good after three days.. their wax job was great and I’m gonna try to pick up some of that wax for this season and go back and forth between that and the hot sauce and do my own comparison. Cheers y’all!

· Registered
3,078 Posts
It's cost of the wax, for general public jobs. "Shop" wax or "bulk" wax that shops buy tend to be cheaper than retail packaged wax.
Exactly, I was luckily able to buy all these in bulk at around @$AU8 per 500g block delivered from UK a few years ago...., so I went crazy and spent about $Au250 on wax for 16kg (32 blocks). Now, they are over $Au50 a block. They are 4 x deep so probably have enough till I die and then some. Use a bit over 1+ blocks a year doing all the waxes with my tuning business. AM Skis are my faourite as they have a smaller WW and use next to nothing...., however skis are twice as much edge work as a snowboard.

Automotive lighting Liquid Paint Gas Tints and shades

1 - 17 of 17 Posts