Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this may be my first official "I'm too old for this".

I'm trying to figure out the new Shadowkeep PS4 expansion for my son...

So the new Shadowkeep expansion is out. We already have Destiny 2 and got the massive update last week... but somehow my son can't play the new levels and stuff. I bought him the Shadowkeep expansion (non-deluxe edition) but it can't be installed OVER the existing Destiny 2 file. I know you can buy Shadowkeep without Destiny 2, but do you need to buy Shadowkeep separately if you already have Destiny 2?? or did we already get Shadowkeep with the big update (which means I bought the Shadowkeep expansion for nothing and have to figure out a way of returning it)?

Before installing the purchased Shadowkeep, we have to uninstall the existing Destiny 2 file... but I know better, I think. If I uninstall we probably lose all progress and my son will literally die a digital death... or not?
Again, this is for PS4.

Can't figure it out. Serious parenting struggle here.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts

I'm trying to figure out the new Shadowkeep PS4 expansion for my son...

So the new Shadowkeep expansion is out. We already have Destiny 2 and got the massive update last week... but somehow my son can't play the new levels and stuff. I bought him the Shadowkeep expansion (non-deluxe edition) but it can't be installed OVER the existing Destiny 2 file. I know you can buy Shadowkeep without Destiny 2, but do you need to buy Shadowkeep separately if you already have Destiny 2?? or did we already get Shadowkeep with the big update (which means I bought the Shadowkeep expansion for nothing and have to figure out a way of returning it)?

Before installing the purchased Shadowkeep, we have to uninstall the existing Destiny 2 file... but I know better, I think. If I uninstall we probably lose all progress and my son will literally die a digital death... or not?
Again, this is for PS4.

You do have to buy Shadowkeep separate, it wasn't part of anything you had already. You also shouldn't have to uninstall D2. If you ordered the digital copy it should just install as an add on to the game. Check and make sure the download happened and everything installed. If the memory is full it may have paused or stopped the installation/download. I forget the exact place to look but it should be right when you load up the PS4 and select the account go to the top and there should be something you can click on to look at downloads and such. Once thats done he should just be able to load the already existing D2 game and all the updates should be added to the game.

When you start D2 are you seeing anything new or does it look like its just the old game, did you buy the digital copy? Hope that helps should be easy to troubleshoot.

On the bright side if you uninstall D2 you shouldn't lose any progress, it should be saved to his account not the actual PS4. Cant guarantee it but thats how it's SUPPOSED to work.

·
Registered
7,670 Posts

lol...my kids know better

"the old man is still on a cheap flip phone" I have it off most of the time and only use it when I need to call them...however they don't answer most of the time and instead will text Mrs W...and I feel like a winner of a chicken dinner.

the closest I got to video games was "santa bowling" back in the 90's and infact most of them make me nauseated...like dizzy and hurl. My kids figured out pretty fast that their friends and the webz was much better than dear old dad.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You do have to buy Shadowkeep separate, it wasn't part of anything you had already. You also shouldn't have to uninstall D2. If you ordered the digital copy it should just install as an add on to the game. Check and make sure the download happened and everything installed. If the memory is full it may have paused or stopped the installation/download. I forget the exact place to look but it should be right when you load up the PS4 and select the account go to the top and there should be something you can click on to look at downloads and such. Once thats done he should just be able to load the already existing D2 game and all the updates should be added to the game.

When you start D2 are you seeing anything new or does it look like its just the old game, did you buy the digital copy? Hope that helps should be easy to troubleshoot.

On the bright side if you uninstall D2 you shouldn't lose any progress, it should be saved to his account not the actual PS4. Cant guarantee it but thats how it's SUPPOSED to work.
Ok gotcha, thanks!
Yeah we got the digital Shadowkeep, but have the physical D2.

It's all complicated because there's instructions for all platforms, then online copies, online accounts for PSN but something else for PC.... oh man. This is the modern equivalent of programming your VCR......

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol...my kids know better

"the old man is still on a cheap flip phone" I have it off most of the time and only use it when I need to call them...however they don't answer most of the time and instead will text Mrs W...and I feel like a winner of a chicken dinner.

the closest I got to video games was "santa bowling" back in the 90's and infact most of them make me nauseated...like dizzy and hurl. My kids figured out pretty fast that their friends and the webz was much better than dear old dad.
oh I can hang. hahaha
The new games are incredible. Especially Destiny; but I mostly just take my kid's characters, shoot bad guys and do what he says I should be doing. Then ooze at all the amazing space-age stuff. All while my son facepalms at me getting whipped.

Hello Guardian!

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It worked! Had to uninstall the physical Destiny 2 and install the digital Shadowkeep. Took like 3hrs to download.

Our Guardians are alive and well hahaha phew.

:nerd: :nerd:

The very first videogame I ever played was on the Atari 2600. We've made it pretty far with games; but our cars still don't fly. WTF.

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Ok gotcha, thanks!
Yeah we got the digital Shadowkeep, but have the physical D2.

It's all complicated because there's instructions for all platforms, then online copies, online accounts for PSN but something else for PC.... oh man. This is the modern equivalent of programming your VCR......
Hahaha daylight savings is coming up so the flashing 12:00 on your VCR should be a flashing 11:00

I hope your not like the modern equivalent of my dad playing Super Mario on the NES and dying repeatedly on the first goomba or hole. Giving us dads who started off on the 2600 a bad name :wink:

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hahaha daylight savings is coming up so the flashing 12:00 on your VCR should be a flashing 11:00

I hope your not like the modern equivalent of my dad playing Super Mario on the NES and dying repeatedly on the first goomba or hole. Giving us dads who started off on the 2600 a bad name :wink:
Oh no I don't suck that bad hahaha my oldest is better than me only in some games.

But I'm still decent in most games. I played Atari then, but i also played through the generations, so i didn't go time capsule :giggle:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts