Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I my son is 9 and currently riding a Burton Chopper with Custom Smalls bindings. He is in a size 6 boot this year so he will need new bindings next year as I'm sure his feet will grow. My plan was to pick up gear for him (new board and bindings) when they go on closeout at the end of this season and I was looking at the Union DLX bindings as the M/L size is supposed to fit from 7-10 which means he could use them for a couple of seasons unless he goes nuts with growth. I know they are at the low end of the Union line but I'm thinking since he is young and light they should be just fine. Can anyone give some real world feedback on their quality?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Union bindings

The Union Force MC's are the most problematic and dangerous bindings I have come across. I bought them last year. The orange screws sheared repeatedly. I lost a toe strap freeriding in the backcountry in the Arlberg due to a broken screw. The UK dealer said it was simply a 'bad batch' of these lightweight screws and gave me 3 spare screws. The screws kept breaking and I ended up hunting for parts that fit in different snowboard shops every time it happenned. My baseplate broke last week and I had to organise rental bindings in 2 ski resorts I spent the holidays in. The baseplates have a lifetime warranty but I will be switiching to another brand. I can't speak for other Union bindings but the Force MC's are not safe.

Moreover when I emailed the company about these issues I got no response. The only time they got back to me was when I posted the above on their Facebook page, and rather that offering a solution implied that I had not given them opportunity to resolve this matter.

I suggest you save yourself some hassle and ensure that your son enjoys his time on the mountain rather than having to deal with a company that talks about quality but has no idea what that means.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Union Force MC's are the most problematic and dangerous bindings I have come across. I bought them last year. The orange screws sheared repeatedly. I lost a toe strap freeriding in the backcountry in the Arlberg due to a broken screw. The UK dealer said it was simply a 'bad batch' of these lightweight screws and gave me 3 spare screws. The screws kept breaking and I ended up hunting for parts that fit in different snowboard shops every time it happenned. My baseplate broke last week and I had to organise rental bindings in 2 ski resorts I spent the holidays in. The baseplates have a lifetime warranty but I will be switiching to another brand. I can't speak for other Union bindings but the Force MC's are not safe.

Moreover when I emailed the company about these issues I got no response. The only time they got back to me was when I posted the above on their Facebook page, and rather that offering a solution implied that I had not given them opportunity to resolve this matter.

I suggest you save yourself some hassle and ensure that your son enjoys his time on the mountain rather than having to deal with a company that talks about quality but has no idea what that means.
Wow thanks for the feedback...not the kind of thing one likes to read. In fact all I ever read on here is people saying Unions are good which was why I was considering them.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So no other comments on these bindings huh?

Thoughts on other lower cost but high quality bindings that would be good for an advanced beginner to intermediate rider between 100 and 130 lbs?

·
Registered
76 Posts
i almost bought a pair of union dlxs the other night, then found a pair of flux rk30s for the same price on another website and decided to get those. just search the internet, theres deals everywhere.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I say go for it. I've been riding Union Forces for 3 seasons now and the only problem I have had with them is a spring breaking in one of the ratchets this season. It doesn't even pose a problem, I just have to "ratchet" the ratches both ways now.

·
Registered
134 Posts

thats interesting i can honestly say your the first person ive heard to have a bad experience with Union. Ive been riding them for a while now and i have to say i have been very satisfied

1 - 7 of 7 Posts