Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In April I went down to Corpus Christi and my cousin taught me to kiteboard. I progressed pretty quickly and by the end of the week I could stay upwind and managed some transitions. I love the feeling of zipping across the water and the guys who are good can easily do insane jumps. That’s definitely one of the goals.

Over the past few weeks I’ve put together my own kit. Sunday I tried to get out on my own on the Columbia River at the east end of the Gorge near Boardman and got thoroughly worked. I definitely need to find a good beginner friendly place in the NW to keep working on what I learned.

Anyone else around here kiteboard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
The Swiss Miss
7,010 Posts
That involves going into water, right? Like, deeper than a bathtub? :no1:
Naw. The aim is to surf ON water :wink:

·
The Swiss Miss
7,010 Posts
Yup, fellow kitesurfer here :) I'm currently packing the van with kites, boards n bikes to head to a kite n bike trip south to Mediterranean sea.

We do have kitesurfing spots in Switzerland, however, the spots at lakes in lowlands are only for experienced kiters (crowded narrow entries, lots of trees, and lots of boats on the lakes). The spots at alpine lakes OTOH are more open, have awesome daily thermic winds, but water temperatures are quite cold, lol. Currently its 5°C Wet suits are required even in high summer.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Kite surfing is kinda like patting your head, while rubbing your belly

I'm not sure my brain could comprehend working the kite, while surfing :chin:

·
Registered
507 Posts
I don't kite board, but out on the OR coast around Manzanita folks do...but idk if its beginner friendly.

Apparently around Bham, there is Locust beach which shallow boarding when the tide is low, but haven't done it.

Lots down in Hood River OR

·
The Swiss Miss
7,010 Posts
Kite surfing is kinda like patting your head, while rubbing your belly

I'm not sure my brain could comprehend working the kite, while surfing :chin:
I'm convinced that snowboarders have a big head start considering the surfing part. It's a board, it has an edge, somehow you need to control that edge riding sideways. Different surface, bit different weight distribution, sure, but in general it's a familiar concept. Once you get the kite control set, getting on the board and glide is the smaller part. I hardly put thoughts into feet/leg/ankle movements but could concentrated on the kite when doing the first "get on the board" trials. (Interestingly, I was able to ride switch right from scratch on the kiteboard... which I still heavily suck at on a snowboard, lol).

Steering a kite is a thing of beauty! So much power!!! Controlled with the tips of your fingers. It's like riding a super excited thoroughbred, but without having to invest much energy and in a way more controlled manner (my horse scares me more often than the kite, lol). You should try it! Your brain already knows how to rub the belly, just learn to pat ur head ;)

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
I have been meaning to try this. I grew up sailing and windsurfing, and later got into snowboarding so I think it would be easier for me than most. Only thing stopping me is the cost and potential to get dragged around a parking lot when rigging/derigging.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Like Neni, I found switch surprisingly easy. I was worried it would be like snowboarding, but once I was up and going I was comfortable both directions.

Kite control is the key. As a beginner that is by far the biggest issue with riding well. As Blast mentioned, getting dragged around on land is also the real danger so really understanding the kite is the key.

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,143 Posts
Like Neni, I found switch surprisingly easy. I was worried it would be like snowboarding, but once I was up and going I was comfortable both directions.

Kite control is the key. As a beginner that is by far the biggest issue with riding well. As Blast mentioned, getting dragged around on land is also the real danger so really understanding the kite is the key.

Last time I was in CO. I saw a fair number of folks on snowboards,.. out on a flat af frozen lake getting pulled around by kites. (...only flat, wide open space without trees or rocks I suppose.) :shrug:

>:)

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Last time I was in CO. I saw a fair number of folks on snowboards,.. out on a flat af frozen lake getting pulled around by kites. (...only flat, wide open space without trees or rocks I suppose.) :shrug:

>:)

They snow kite a bunch in Utah, too. I’ve seen it a few times on Hwy. 40 south of Heber City. The last time it looked like the wind was blowing uphill so they could more or less ride down and then use the kite to pull them back up. I also read about some guy doing a 100-mile day trip there.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,010 Posts
Thanks to van, kites and bikes, summer can be fun, too :) Greetings from our current kite trip

·
Premium Member
5,324 Posts
Only thing stopping me is the cost and potential to get dragged around a parking lot when rigging/derigging.
Wingsurfing may be a good option for you. You can start on a standard SUP and move on to a foilboard later.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts