Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

401 - 420 of 432 Posts

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
Loving the X base EST on the archetype, super responsive with the way that the shape of the highback and strap combine to lock your ankles in, they really conform to the shape of my boot. Leaves no movement other than how I want to flex the board.

View attachment 152322
Geez. I had Diodes on mine for a while, but I think it was a bit too much. Only a little; they were fine, but the Diodes belong better on my Dump Truck. With the width and sidecut, you can put stiff bindings with no problem. Then with the flex and tail, you can put softer stuff and it's also fine.

But Genesis X on the Atype are awesome. They were the 1st bindings i put on it, then after trying a few others went back to GenX.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I was riding it with now pilots previously which were a different feel but also good, they are on my simple pleasures now so I have 2 boards ready to go over here in Japan.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
I was riding it with now pilots previously which were a different feel but also good, they are on my simple pleasures now so I have 2 boards ready to go over here in Japan.
Yep, i rode it with Pilots as well. And exactly as you say... a different feel but still good. Rode it with Malavitas and Now drive too. To me, Malavitas were the worst, but it's me... i don't like Malavitas that much.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I wanted to leave my thoughts on taking my 158 Archetype out in knee deep Japow after an overnight storm. At 85kg or 187lbs I'm leaning toward the upper weight range of this board but still well within the range. I didn't change my normal stance, I ride it at reference but slightly nudged in a bit equally at each end as I have short legs. I usually prefer to ride boards as close to reference as possible.

We got to the resort early and lined up for the top chair which has the steepest runs and they don't groom, I've been there before and knew the drill and where to go. Lined up for 20 minutes and I think we were about 10 - 15 people back in the queue. First run down was the best, big undulating rollers, pretty steep in places for Japan and a wide run with minimal people in my way. I went for maximum speed, boosting the rollers and landing in deep pow but still found that if I didn't put my weight on the back leg the nose would submarine. My back leg was aching toward the end of the run but it was a great run, couldn't get the smile off my face.

Got straight back in the line which was not even a 5 minute wait and we were back up top again, this time I ducked under the lift and into the steepest tree section on the mountain, found a line quickly with some reasonably spaced trees and charged it. Again I had to load up my back leg to keep the nose up.

We did about 5 - 6 more tree runs and then it was close to lunch time, most lines were tracked out by then but there were still plenty of untouched stashes, its a big resort. I spent the afternoon going as fast as possible, dipping in and out of pow stashes and boosting natural side hits with the odd pow butter on the nose. I think this is where the archetype really shines, it has a playful enough flex but still holds a really good edge and can lay a trench with ease and plenty of pop and stability on jumps. For riding fresh and deep Japow it did not have the required float but if your legs are strong enough you will be rewarded and have a great time once the main lines are tracked out. If you are going somewhere that you can ride un-tracked lines all day then its probably not a great choice. I have other boards in my quiver that are perfect for that.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Also think the nose of the board could use some more rise.
Exactly how I feel about EA. I ride my 162 (95kg) maxed out to rear on front foot and -20 on rear (EST). It rips in and out of powder pockets and back on the groomers, but when I enter into deep powder the nose doesn't plain high enough. I sort of wish it was a 165 for me as there is just not enough set back with the channels with EST to keep my stance centred over the board in powder. Always worried about getting tomahawked in powder on the EA and to compensate I have to always lean back to keep the nose up. It's a good freeride/all mountain board but not as good as my dump truck (freeride)......, and my Fish absolutely destroys it in Powder.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ok so I finally got to ride an Archetype and I get it.. this board is pretty awesome, believe the hype! Rode it at Revelstoke on a non-pow day (it was my friends board he wouldn't let me use it on the pow days how selfish...) rode some groomers, tree stashes with left over pow and some side country with 10-15cm of left over powder. This thing obviously floats and I expected that but it's SO nimble in the trees while being a stable free-ride charger which surprised me. I really liked the waist width of the 162 (26cm) and overall it felt like the perfect free-ride/pow board for me at 190-195lbs geared up...

Now that being said the one thing that is stopping me from selling my current free-ride board (ride alter ego) and picking up an Archetype is the swallowtail.. It works really well in softening the tail and I imagine that's how it was so nimble in the trees even at 162cm and 26cm WW but I like a proper tail on my free-ride boards. Riding style is pretty freestyle focused.. I like landing and taking off switch as well as dropping modest cliffs all of which is not ideal with the swallowtail.

Has anyone done a side by side comparison with the Arche and the Maverick? I combed through this thread and didn't find too much side by side info despite the thread title! I would imagine the Mav is much stiffer through the tail so likely not as nimble in the trees? How do these boards stack up as steep&deep freeride/pow decks, are you giving up a lot of float and versatility by dropping the swallowtail? I am looking for something to replace my 162 Ride Alter ego which I love but after riding some wider boards the 25cm waist on the AE is feeling a bit too narrow... Also looking at the Capita Kazu so if anyone has some comparison between that and the Mav that would be awesome :)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Ok so I finally got to ride an Archetype and I get it.. this board is pretty awesome, believe the hype! Rode it at Revelstoke on a non-pow day (it was my friends board he wouldn't let me use it on the pow days how selfish...) rode some groomers, tree stashes with left over pow and some side country with 10-15cm of left over powder. This thing obviously floats and I expected that but it's SO nimble in the trees while being a stable free-ride charger which surprised me. I really liked the waist width of the 162 (26cm) and overall it felt like the perfect free-ride/pow board for me at 190-195lbs geared up...

Now that being said the one thing that is stopping me from selling my current free-ride board (ride alter ego) and picking up an Archetype is the swallowtail.. It works really well in softening the tail and I imagine that's how it was so nimble in the trees even at 162cm and 26cm WW but I like a proper tail on my free-ride boards. Riding style is pretty freestyle focused.. I like landing and taking off switch as well as dropping modest cliffs all of which is not ideal with the swallowtail.

Has anyone done a side by side comparison with the Arche and the Maverick? I combed through this thread and didn't find too much side by side info despite the thread title! I would imagine the Mav is much stiffer through the tail so likely not as nimble in the trees? How do these boards stack up as steep&deep freeride/pow decks, are you giving up a lot of float and versatility by dropping the swallowtail? I am looking for something to replace my 162 Ride Alter ego which I love but after riding some wider boards the 25cm waist on the AE is feeling a bit too narrow... Also looking at the Capita Kazu so if anyone has some comparison between that and the Mav that would be awesome :)
I can't compare to the Arc, but I have a Maverick. It's pretty fucking stiff, and I don't love it in trees. Floats OK, but not great. Super stable obviously with how stiff it is. Kind of a jack of all trades, master of none board in my noob experience. Biggest complaint is how easily mangled the base has been. Have an old, Gnu 11up that I've been riding in the same conditions in the same mountain. While it has so deep scratches for sure, the Mac is completely thrashed.

One thing I still want to do is try some stiffer bindings on it. I feel like it kind of over powers the Cartels I have on it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
I can't compare to the Arc, but I have a Maverick. It's pretty fucking stiff, and I don't love it in trees. Floats OK, but not great. Super stable obviously with how stiff it is. Kind of a jack of all trades, master of none board in my noob experience. Biggest complaint is how easily mangled the base has been. Have an old, Gnu 11up that I've been riding in the same conditions in the same mountain. While it has so deep scratches for sure, the Mac is completely thrashed.

One thing I still want to do is try some stiffer bindings on it. I feel like it kind of over powers the Cartels I have on it.

Interesting.. endeavor rates it medium/stiff same as the Archetype.. I found the Archetype to be medium stiffness for a 162 freeride board, perhaps the swallowtail makes it seem a loft softer especially torsionaly? Definitely don't want a super stiff board.. anything up towards a Jones Flagship in stiffness does not fit my riding style at all.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Interesting.. endeavor rates it medium/stiff same as the Archetype.. I found the Archetype to be medium stiffness for a 162 freeride board, perhaps the swallowtail makes it seem a loft softer especially torsionaly? Definitely don't want a super stiff board.. anything up towards a Jones Flagship in stiffness does not fit my riding style at all.
To be fair, I've not ridden than many boards (7 or 8 maybe?). Rides really stiff to me, getting it to butter is a chore. The swallow obviously will make the tail softer, someone more experienced than me will have to chime in on how it affects torsional rigidity.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
Neither the Archetype or the Maverick are anywhere near a Flagship. Thank goodness...

My buddy has a Maverick, it is pretty similar in pure flex to the Archetype, but because the tail is solid it feels a little sturdier. In general, the Maverick is very close and similar to the Flight Attendant... for people who ride mostly medium/soft, twins with hybrid profiles... these boards (Archetype and Maverick) would feel aggressive, stiff, floaty and stable. But in reality, they are middle of the road-ish for freeride/freestyle boards, which make them versatile and appealing to a lot of people who don't want to sacrifice the twin-like freestyle part of riding. I think the Maverick is a little nimbler in the tress because it's less wide and has a tighter sidecut. Archetype is not super nimble, it leans more towards higher speed turning; but it is still nimble enough, just not where it shines.

So yeah, Archetype has a great flex. Stiff enough to charge, but playful enough to make it playful and maneuverable. When the Archetype first came out years ago (it was some sort of special edition), it didn't have a chopped nose, so it was a bit longer/higher nose. I think that's how they should have kept it to help it float better. The Maverick is fine as it is for a freeride/freestyle board.

My Archetype base has been really sturdy. It's taken a few hits, but mostly from a couple of seasons ago when we had sudden early season pow dumps with shallow rocks... still looks good and decent minus one scratch which I thought was going to be a core shot when I felt it; but phew, it didn't reach the core.

Anyways... not sure how to rate the Archetype against other comparable boards like Kazu, Deep Thinker, Supernatant, Alter Ego, One Hitter, etc. Pretty sure any of these boards would be great. Each has its own advantages/disadvantages and features... I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with any of these; but the Archetype is pretty dope.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Neither the Archetype or the Maverick are anywhere near a Flagship. Thank goodness...

My buddy has a Maverick, it is pretty similar in pure flex to the Archetype, but because the tail is solid it feels a little sturdier. In general, the Maverick is very close and similar to the Flight Attendant... for people who ride mostly medium/soft, twins with hybrid profiles... these boards (Archetype and Maverick) would feel aggressive, stiff, floaty and stable. But in reality, they are middle of the road-ish for freeride/freestyle boards, which make them versatile and appealing to a lot of people who don't want to sacrifice the twin-like freestyle part of riding. I think the Maverick is a little nimbler in the tress because it's less wide and has a tighter sidecut. Archetype is not super nimble, it leans more towards higher speed turning; but it is still nimble enough, just not where it shines.

So yeah, Archetype has a great flex. Stiff enough to charge, but playful enough to make it playful and maneuverable. When the Archetype first came out years ago (it was some sort of special edition), it didn't have a chopped nose, so it was a bit longer/higher nose. I think that's how they should have kept it to help it float better. The Maverick is fine as it is for a freeride/freestyle board.

My Archetype base has been really sturdy. It's taken a few hits, but mostly from a couple of seasons ago when we had sudden early season pow dumps with shallow rocks... still looks good and decent minus one scratch which I thought was going to be a core shot when I felt it; but phew, it didn't reach the core.

Anyways... not sure how to rate the Archetype against other comparable boards like Kazu, Deep Thinker, Supernatant, Alter Ego, One Hitter, etc. Pretty sure any of these boards would be great. Each has its own advantages/disadvantages and features... I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with any of these; but the Archetype is pretty dope.
Thanks for the great write-up! I don't get to demo too many boards other than hopping on a riding buddies deck so when I tried out that Archetype I knew I wanted something similar.. just with no swallowtail.. I have never ridden a flight attendant or any Burton board for that matter but if the Mav has a similar overall flex to the Arch that is definitely what I am after.

Right now Im short listing the Maverick (162), Kazu(157), One Hitter(156) and Deep Thinker(160) as my freeride-pow board to replace the alter-ego... Will see what I can find in the late season sales :)

401 - 420 of 432 Posts