Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

421 - 432 of 432 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
85 kg, 10 US Tactical (280 mondo plus 1,7 cm outershell).
I own the Archetype 160W 2020 and the Kazu 157 2019 (selling, too narrow for my riding style), tested the Archetype 162 2019 (selling, too narrow at the back foot). I’m gonna skip on the feedback on the Archetype, you have all the info in the previous posts - a playful freeride deck with a swallow tail. The tail is stiff along the edge but soft torsionally. You’ve ridden it yourself.

On the Kazu - it has a tad stiffer tail but it’s no swallow tail so the torsional stiffness is there too. It’s a very solid all mountain freeride snowboard, super light and poppy, on the stiffer side, especially the tips are stiffer than I’ve expected. I have no idea how Adam from Agnarchy found it a pretzel and I do have comparison to really stiff boards like my Amplid UNW8 or Rossi XV I had. The Kazu is narrower than the Archetype, the edge hold on ice is ok (and I feel the same about my Mercury 157 2020). The Archetype being very similar profile, softer flex and similar effective edge grips better. I’ve been wondering what is the reason and I think I’ve found it.

First of all Capitas come somehow dull from the wrapper imo (I’ve bought them all new). I mean I can still scratch my finger nails on my Kazu and Merc but the Arche is so sharp (while having more days on hard snow) that I’ve accidently cut my skin near my thumb. Razor sharp. This made me contact both Capita and Endeavor to find out how to properly resharpen them with a diamond stone and compare the default tune.
The Kazu and Merc have 88,5 edge and 1,5 base bevel while the Archetype is 90 edge and 0 base bevel. Both manufacturers have claimed they don’t detune it anywhere.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have other boards in my quiver that are perfect for that.
I'm having the same experience why my arc. It's NOT really a pow board - It's a great soft snow groomer ripper / freeride deck - and perhaps with a 165Wide it'd perform better in pow for me. I don't see the need to keep it considering what I'm looking for.

With that being said I AM looking for another swallowtail that can crush waist deep pow if anyone has any recommendations. I'm probably going to sell this board since I now have a jones flag 162W for freeride daily driver, my pow stick should be great in pow for me.

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
I'm having the same experience why my arc. It's NOT really a pow board - It's a great soft snow groomer ripper / freeride deck - and perhaps with a 165Wide it'd perform better in pow for me. I don't see the need to keep it considering what I'm looking for.

With that being said I AM looking for another swallowtail that can crush waist deep pow if anyone has any recommendations. I'm probably going to sell this board since I now have a jones flag 162W for freeride daily driver, my pow stick should be great in pow for me.
If you're after something more aggressive and with more float the Nitro Squash is honestly hard to beat. You can't sink that nose, and it's stiffer full camber compared to the Archetypes Rocker/Camber and slightly softer flex truly rails all conditions. Definitely more work in the trees though, hard to beat the Archetypes nimbleness in that category of boards.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I wish they made smaller sizes in W
There will be 157W in 2021 actually and I’m considering changing to it depending how I change my quiver (160W is a little wide at the front foot for me).

I totally disagree with these claims that the EA isn't a powder board. I have the 160W and that shit floats like a fuckin' boat in Colorado.
It floats really well, just not as great as powder boards. For example my Optimistic at 154 is harder to submarine then nose. The Archetypes best selling point is the versality and this unique combination of carving, freeriding, jumping and floating in a playful package. It carves and pops waay better but floats a bit worse for its shape.

·
Registered
259 Posts
It floats really well, just not as great as powder boards. For example my Optimistic at 154 is harder to submarine then nose. The Archetypes best selling point is the versality and this unique combination of carving, freeriding, jumping and floating in a playful package. It carves and pops waay better but floats a bit worse for its shape.
Agree 100%....sick board but might become my daily driver and board for semi deep days. I live in Utah so normal conditions here are usually pretty pretty soft. I’m also not doing any park. I have my eyes on a Korua Dart for deeper float days.

·
Registered
66 Posts
ended up picking up a 162 maverick.. couldn't resist a 2019 model for 40% off. Will be a couple of weeks before I can ride it since I picked it up while browsing shops in Banff after a riding day at sunshine cut short due to a shoulder dislocation :(.. stand by for a review in a couple of weeks haha.

honorable mention to the sunshine medical staff.. nitrous for resetting the shoulder was a very welcome surprise. Much better than when I did this at killington and they wouldnt even give me advil :cry:

421 - 432 of 432 Posts