Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all -
I'm looking for another deck to compliment my NS SL-R. I love the SL-R and use it as my main deck in and out of the park. I'm now looking for more of a freeride deck that can also be somewhat fun in the park.

How I look at it is that my SL-R is all mountain freestyle that would handle the park better than bombing down the mountain (not to say it won't do well at the top as I often use it there too) while the Highlife is all mountain that would handle speed runs better than the park.

For this deck I intend to use 90% all mountain (groomers, trees, steeps, natural kickers...just your fun cruising); 10% park (just to hit jumps; no jibbing)

Hitting fresh deep pow will be few and far between as I board local So*Cal mountains. I'm curious on people's thoughts after riding this deck

1) How stiff is it? Is it super stiff or more upper medium flex? Remember I'm coming off my SL-R which isn't mighty stiff yet isn't a noodle
2) How did you like the 3 rocker profile?
3) Think this would be a good compliment to my SL-R? Or do you have other recommendations?
4) Lastly I'm 5'7" 163. My SLR is a 155. I'm thinking of getting a 155 in the Highlife too...or should I step up to a 158?

Thanks again! Happy boarding!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have the Highlife. It is damn fast, atually they refer to it as Sick fast and it is. Pops and Ollies beautifully. I have no doubt you will enjoy this board for what you are asking. I find it nimble when cutting through the trees and secure on groomed runs.

Initially it took me a while (2 days) to get used to the low rise camber, I kept falling over for some reason on heel side turns, my front foot would wash out. It finally sorted itself as I got used to the board and I love it.

It floats the powder nicely and is about to get a major 6 week work out in Europe and Japan starting next month.

The top sheet is glossy and the sides are slime wall. Just be carefull with the top sheet, like having other boards rest on it and so forth. I found it to scratch easily. I got it as a work horse, not a show pony, so no issue for me.

Finally, don't do the doofus thing and stick your board in the snow so it stands up when you go for a break. I did that and it hit some crud in the snow that delaminated a small piece (postage stamp size) of the top sheet. Had to getit repaired.

Apart from that, I highly recommend this board.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the Highlife. It is damn fast, atually they refer to it as Sick fast and it is. Pops and Ollies beautifully. I have no doubt you will enjoy this board for what you are asking. I find it nimble when cutting through the trees and secure on groomed runs.

Initially it took me a while (2 days) to get used to the low rise camber, I kept falling over for some reason on heel side turns, my front foot would wash out. It finally sorted itself as I got used to the board and I love it.

It floats the powder nicely and is about to get a major 6 week work out in Europe and Japan starting next month.

The top sheet is glossy and the sides are slime wall. Just be carefull with the top sheet, like having other boards rest on it and so forth. I found it to scratch easily. I got it as a work horse, not a show pony, so no issue for me.

Finally, don't do the doofus thing and stick your board in the snow so it stands up when you go for a break. I did that and it hit some crud in the snow that delaminated a small piece (postage stamp size) of the top sheet. Had to getit repaired.

Apart from that, I highly recommend this board.
Great feedback Cavman. Thanks!

What do you think of the Highlife's stiffness? Is it very stiff or too stiff?

Also you mentioned continually falling over heel side, would you say this board is not forgiving (even for a rocker)? Or was it due to just getting used to the type of rocker the Highlife utilizes? What I loved about the Rockers I've ridden in the past is that they are more or less "catch free" for a lack of a better word. I've fully switched over to Rocker type boards for the past 2 seasons (this year will be the 3rd) and have gotten used to them and their characteristics. I'm hoping the Highlife exhibits the same "catch-free" or "less prone to catch" characteristics as well. Thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
281 Posts
I would say 7/10 stiffness. I found it stiff enough for high speed stability yet flex enough that it popped nicely. The highlife is not a true rocker. It is a low rise profile. To be honest. I have not notice it ever catching as you describe it. I would buy this board again or the K2's version. The Slayblade.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts