Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone I’m trying to decide between a few boards after weeks of research from forums and videos etc. I’ve narrowed it down to
Ultra Flagship
Ultra Mountain twin
Jones stratos
Rossi XV

I’m strictly All mountain/Freeride

enjoy bombing, carving, and the woods

anyone else with similar taste/style that has real experience other than test videos.

love my Rossi krypto except it’s too narrow and tired of toe/heel drag causing me to lose my edge when digging trenches. Thanks in advance!

Also forgot to mention I prefer rocker/camber/rocker directional boards, reasoning behind those choices and that they can be decent in POW

·
Super Moderator
1,311 Posts
Hey everyone I’m trying to decide between a few boards after weeks of research from forums and videos etc. I’ve narrowed it down to
Ultra Flagship
Ultra Mountain twin
Jones stratos
Rossi XV

anyone else with similar taste/style that has real experience other than test videos.

love my Rossi krypto except it’s too narrow and tired of toe/heel drag causing me to lose my edge when digging trenches. Thanks in advance!

Also forgot to mention I prefer rocker/camber/rocker directional boards, reasoning behind those choices and that they can be decent in POW
I know it doesn't help but I did see a Jones Ultra Mountain Twin new at Twelveboards for under $300 usd which I thought was cheap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, yeah that would be something I’d look into if the condition is excellent. I don’t mind spending extra cash to give me peace of mind on knowing I’d be the one abusing the board to my style. I honestly can’t remember spending this much time researching for a new board

·
Super Moderator
1,311 Posts
Thank you, yeah that would be something I’d look into if the condition is excellent. I don’t mind spending extra cash to give me peace of mind on knowing I’d be the one abusing the board to my style. I honestly can’t remember spending this much time researching for a new board
Yeah it's a tiring process that's for sure, if yr anything like most of us you'll probably overtaking it.

A couple of other boards to look at could be the Yes PYL and Hybrid decks, there's a few guys in here that have good things to say about each of them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah it's a tiring process that's for sure, if yr anything like most of us you'll probably overtaking it.

A couple of other boards to look at could be the Yes PYL and Hybrid decks, there's a few guys in here that have good things to say about each of them.
Thank you I’ll start looking into those as well.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I had the krypto a few years ago, fun board but definitely on the skinny side, i would lose it heel side all time once I learned to ride, I've heard/seen a lot of guys enjoying the new stratos, I would probably try one if I didn't already have so many boards

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Flagship is pretty much the Krypto evolved, when Jerry Jones left Rossi and they started making the XV and Krypto instead of the Experience, I think, and they make a wide one so..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ultra Flagship
Ultra Mountain twin
Jones stratos
Rossi XV

Ultra Mind Expander would be worth a look.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If all you care is carving and bombing, then I would rule out the mountain twin and Stratos (which have quite some FS versatility). Both the Flagship and XV are solid choices with quite similar programs, if a bit "unfun".

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I have the XV as a daily in NE. I’ve been riding it for about 5 years as a resort ripper. It came down to the flag and xv for me. A sale on the XV made the decision for me. But always wanted to demo the flag. Never had a chance. Anyway the xv rips up anything as long you’re going fast. It has mag which is more upside than down IMO. It bombs like no other. Floats in pow well. Rips a carve but there are better carving decks out there. The soft tail is what differentiates it from other decks. It makes for easy backfoot steering in tight low angle spaces. But the soft tail doesn’t have much pop. So it requires a bit of effort on side hits. It’s my one gripe. If that type of riding is important to you maybe go flag. Why carbon flag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Pointy things
7 Posts
A step lower than the XV, the Sashimi is awesome. I don't ride any park or do any jumps and it's become my daily driver. Never had a bad day on it.The only thing is that the Sashimi is pretty tapered so I have to center my back foot precisely (size 12 feet on 266ww, on the 160).

I also have a Weston Backwoods 163w. Definitely no heel or toe drag issues with their wide options. One of the most underrated boards imo. And it does not disappoint for the type of riding you do.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Flagship is planky as fuck, i cant imagine how much stiffer the ultra will be. XV and sashimi are both awesome.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A step lower than the XV, the Sashimi is awesome. I don't ride any park or do any jumps and it's become my daily driver. Never had a bad day on it.The only thing is that the Sashimi is pretty tapered so I have to center my back foot precisely (size 12 feet on 266ww, on the 160).

I also have a Weston Backwoods 163w. Definitely no heel or toe drag issues with their wide options. One of the most underrated boards imo. And it does not disappoint for the type of riding you do.
How is that board does it feel locked in with POW and packed? How’s the turn initiation for wooded areas?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have the XV as a daily in NE. I’ve been riding it for about 5 years as a resort ripper. It came down to the flag and xv for me. A sale on the XV made the decision for me. But always wanted to demo the flag. Never had a chance. Anyway the xv rips up anything as long you’re going fast. It has mag which is more upside than down IMO. It bombs like no other. Floats in pow well. Rips a carve but there are better carving decks out there. The soft tail is what differentiates it from other decks. It makes for easy backfoot steering in tight low angle spaces. But the soft tail doesn’t have much pop. So it requires a bit of effort on side hits. It’s my one gripe. If that type of riding is important to you maybe go flag. Why carbon flag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s why I do love Rossi as well, magnetraction and that entire serrated edge is amazing, love the grip even in POW. I was thinking of carbon since it’s lighter and stronger, but might be having second thoughts if it’s way too stiff. I’m not bombing off cliffs, but do prefer my boards medium to stiff

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If all you care is carving and bombing, then I would rule out the mountain twin and Stratos (which have quite some FS versatility). Both the Flagship and XV are solid choices with quite similar programs, if a bit "unfun".
Definitely enjoy both as long as the mountain conditions are right without any large crowds. Usually every few runs will be somewhere in a wooded area so turn initiation is important. So if either of those boards are good for woods too I’d be more than happy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had the krypto a few years ago, fun board but definitely on the skinny side, i would lose it heel side all time once I learned to ride, I've heard/seen a lot of guys enjoying the new stratos, I would probably try one if I didn't already have so many boards
That’s why I haven’t gotten a new board, I love my krypto, but tired of losing my edge from toe/heel drag. My front toe binding ripped off last season, the buckle, from a deep trench so since then I’ve been wanting something new. I love it, but like you said it’s too narrow

Here are some related products that Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums members are talking about.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts