Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 243 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,683 Posts
Aussie boarders - what are some of the better accom options around some of the local mountains this season? Again I know why I look OS after spending the morning looking at prices for a weeks accom in some pretty basic lodgings on the mountain that come in around $3.5k not even looking at airfares, transfers and passes. Man it so expensive here in Aus.

Anyone point me in the right direction either Vic or NSW?

I'm going to hit up the in-laws to see if his mates place is available at Buller, stayed there a few times on the mountain and they're getting a bit old and starting to use it less and less but otherwise I'm interested in other options. Was hoping to not hire a car for 7 days but if I do maybe it's cheaper to stay somewhere like Berridale and drive an hour each way everyday.

·
Super Moderator
1,683 Posts
Yeah the Buller place is great and I do need to check availability, we've stayed there a couple of times when the father-in-law has joined us but I think he's hanging up the ski's so will need to test the water.

The lift tickets I'm still trying to work out, I can't book anything yet as the border here whilst being open still requires 14 days mandatory isolation for CV. By the time NT opens back up with unrestricted travel my gut says NZ will be open for travel so maybe the original package I had booked can still go ahead.

·
Super Moderator
1,683 Posts
What is the price difference for you to go to either Australia or NZ.
Return airfares (Darwin to Queenstown), 7 nights accomm Copthorne Hotel Superior Lakeside room, breakfast, 6 days Queens/Mt Hutt pass, transfers, ski-hire for daughter $5k

Pretty good value, struggling to see anything comparable here

·
Super Moderator
1,683 Posts
Sounds good, I'm still hoping to get there this season although I'm starting a new job 2nd week of July which is going to complicate things, especially with 3 month training. Anyway, If will take what I can this season otherwise I'll plan for 2-3 weeks in Japan if that opens early next season.

·
Super Moderator
1,683 Posts
A 5 day midweek ticket will cost $795. I can see that this cost in itself will keep the numbers down. No season passes. Imagine taking a family of 4 down...., it's like $2.5k for just tickets.
Yeah for sure, for me when you add airfares and accomm it's going to be cheaper to head to Japan, especially considering we usually do min 5 day trips, usually 10-15 days though. Just the borders now and I heard today Japan were looking at again imposing more restrictions with a second wave of CV looking like kicking in.

·
Super Moderator
1,683 Posts
NZ will be extremely reluctant to open for tourists, we'd need to remove the 2 week quarantine to make that happen. Achieve elimination of Covid-19 and it's a no-brainer to open for Aussie/Kiwi travel.

Interestingly we let in a film crew of 50 from the States as they threatened to take the movie away :p
I did read that they were going to start travel between Aus and NZ soon but only for politicians and new crews/media which makes me wonder what can they really achieve in person they can't through online collaboration - except ski :sneaky:

·
Super Moderator
1,683 Posts
I had a long weekend down at Perisher last week, there was not much open but the crowds were low so many laps were had. On the Friday night we got a little over 15cm which made the conditions on Saturday really good and I was riding my new board.
I had planned to go splitboarding on the Monday but my mate was not feeling well. Next trip is end of July.
Awesome, what new board did you end up with?

·
Super Moderator
1,683 Posts
I sold my Arbor Terrapin after riding it once in Japan, replaced it with a Capita Outerspace Living. Kind of meant to be a do everything board I can use as a second board in Japan alongside a dedicated powder board and just general all mountain and a bit of park riding back home in Aus.

Really like the OSL so put my Capita Springbreak twin up for sale now, hoping to replace that with a Korua Dart 160.
I see there's a Korua Dart but in 156 on Gumtree at Jindy

·
Super Moderator
1,683 Posts
I ended up putting a deposit on the 156 Dart in Jindy, picking it up on my next trip at the end of the month, price was too good to resist.
I actually phoned up Twelveboardstore first as they were having a big sale but hadn't reduced the price on the Dart 160 I wanted. Anyway the best price they could do was still $150 more expensive than what I paid for the 156.
Also a tranny finder brand new up on GT $650

·
Super Moderator
1,683 Posts
Probably going to hit as I am leaving unfortunately but they need more snow that's for sure!

What did you read? links? I honestly think they are doing the best they can to keep people safe, capacity is very low, no lift lines at all last weekend. I had an esky full of food in the car so didn't eat in the common areas but on the previous trip they had very strict protocols in place inside the eating areas.
Read it was being looked at as a hotspot but they were having difficulties confirming

1 - 20 of 243 Posts