Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Premium Member
Endeavor BOD, Fix Magnum, Burton Driver X
2,172 Posts
I doubt any aussie resort comes even close to the awesomeness of Cardrona! Great for boarders.

A rare powder day not closed to high winds on Mt Ruapehu is pretty sweet, epic off piste on the glaciers.

Will never go to Australia for snowboarding, I'll stick to your beaches.

·
Premium Member
2,172 Posts
So what's that, about $130 AUD. Are they still doing multi-day passes though?
Just checked the website, it's actually $149 NZD so that's $137.50 AUD. Couldn't see any multi-day passes for sale online.
After doing Japan for so many years I just can't bring myself to go back to NZ (forget Australia). I'd rather go on a surfing trip to Yamba or something and wait for Japan or Canada to open up again. Sorry, but I think I will give USA a BIG miss.
We definitely don't have scale of the big resorts in the northern hemisphere that's for sure. Check out the heli-boarding in the South Island though, that looks amazing! Watch the NZ scene at the start of That's It That's All at 5 min 30s and you'll see what there is outside of the ski fields.

·
Premium Member
2,172 Posts
Not bad, that's where I'll be in July. We've changed our Wanaka accommodation booking to Queenstown.

My wrist has been out of a cast for two weeks now and I have five weeks to get some strength and mobility back. My hand therapist says it's a good target!

If I can't snowboard then I'll take the kids' gear at least.

·
Premium Member
2,172 Posts
Just dial back the aggressive riding a touch and wear a wrist guard.
Ha, yeah I suppose so :LOL:

The worst part will actually be helping out my youngest two, pulling them around. My 6 year old isn't anywhere near confident yet and my 4 year old is fearless and a menace to society.

·
Premium Member
2,172 Posts
NZ will be extremely reluctant to open for tourists, we'd need to remove the 2 week quarantine to make that happen. Achieve elimination of Covid-19 and it's a no-brainer to open for Aussie/Kiwi travel.

Interestingly we let in a film crew of 50 from the States as they threatened to take the movie away :p

·
Premium Member
2,172 Posts
I did read that they were going to start travel between Aus and NZ soon but only for politicians and new crews/media which makes me wonder what can they really achieve in person they can't through online collaboration - except ski :sneaky:
We need tourists in to boost the economy. Keep the politicians on Zoom...

·
Premium Member
2,172 Posts
Had a couple of days up Remarkables Queenstown this week the first after around a foot of fresh .....epic first day ...as NZ School Holidays so pretty busy ...but well worth the efforts.... looking forward to having many more days up Remarks-Coronet peak before SEPT__ Cardrona with the family ....
I did my first day of the season today at Remarks. It was raining so most kept away, with chains we got a 2nd row park at 8:40. At lunch it started to clear up and I found some pow stashes later in the afternoon.

Snow Mountainous landforms Mountain Geological phenomenon Winter

·
Premium Member
2,172 Posts
How is the depth and coverage there?
Dunno what it's usually like down there but it seemed pretty good. Once the vis improved it was an awesome day. Off the groomers there was a lot of powder and not many people riding it.

I'm used to riding Ruapehu which only gets good at 1.5m of base, but that's a rocky mountain. You don't need as much base down here where it's just tussock grass.

·
Premium Member
2,172 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,172 Posts
Same! I like light pants (usually Columbia or HH), an undershirt+flannel+vest if the conditions allow, thin beanie under my helmet, folding-finger mitts. I would die out there, if going off piste into a storm, was my bag.
I wear some sort of mid-range pants, merino t-shirt (short sleeves), hoodie (removed during the morning), mid-range jacket (more than a shell at least), mitts (not for cold weather) and helmet (no beanie). I only ride with a bag if going off piste, I should probably get a foil blanket as @rayt100 says!

·
Premium Member
2,172 Posts
Auckland is now at Covid-19 level 3 and the rest of NZ is at level 2 with rumours that we'll go to level 3... Our first cases of community transmission in 100+ days.

This means my planned trips to Ruapehu over the next two weeks are probably going to be canned :(

1 - 20 of 118 Posts