Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
741 - 760 of 798 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Yeah I've noticed that recently, too - TJ is on top of his own reviews, Kevin still travelling around the world during Covid.

When they were an item, their reviews WERE a bit wishy-washy. Now, I feel TJ has a more solid, comprehendible structure to his reviews. Sorta going back 5 years (in style), but with the past 5 years' worth of experience injected into them.

Isn't it a funny world we live in? One MUST have a negative Covid test within the last 72hrs in order to go up to the snow. This weekend up there wasn't great. I knew it would be the case. SOoooooo...
  • Thursday - drove to Bright for a test, in order for it to come through for.......
  • Allowing me to get up to Falls, to get tested there today (Sunday), in order to.....
  • Have the all-clear for Tuesday (THE TARGET), to ride.......
  • And then again on Weds-Thurs-Fri, riding
I feel like a member of Ocean's 11, planning all this cunning shit THAT far ahead hahah.

Oh well, don't regret it. I've got my time from the parking lot at Falls, to the halfway mark just outside of Bogong (15km mark), down to 12mins on the downhill. And that's with brakes I don't 100% trust.

Life ain't so bad.

EDIT: I might need some sort of proper camber (NOT an Academy deck!) - at this rate, with the stock suspension geo on my car, I will have scrapped my front tyres in under 10k kms

·
Registered
656 Posts
Talking to one of the staff at Rhythm today said they are selling heaps of gear at 40% off.
Yeah I just jumped on and got some Imperial Wides. Don't need em right now, but atleast will have some backup for next season (better to have bought these, than a 6th pair of bindings.... I really need to get rid of some stuff).

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #747 · (Edited)
Yeah I just jumped on and got some Imperial Wides. Don't need em right now, but atleast will have some backup for next season (better to have bought these, than a 6th pair of bindings.... I really need to get rid of some stuff).
Same...., I know I have waaaay too much gear but really, you only live once.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Same...., I know I have waaaay too much gear but really, you only live once.
That is very true - but there's a flipside to that coin: letting go of stuff to make way for more stuff! 😋

Far out, I'm an addict - already got my mind set on gear for next year:
  • Amplid Paradigma
  • Another Yes Hybrid
  • Potentially another set of Fluxs - curious to try the SR
Which means moving on some stuff that I love, and other stuff that is gathering a bit of dust:
  • Marhar LJ
  • 2x Rome Pow Divisions (great boards, but the Hybrid pips them, for me)
  • Nitro Team Pros (fantastic bindings, but I'm getting more use out of my Malavita Wings and Nitro Phantoms)
  • Burton Clutch (although I could hang onto these as spares for peeps who come visit next season)
Plans plans plans....

·
Registered
293 Posts
Have any of you guys tried Now Drive bindings? some 2020 or 2021s on sale at the moment. I'm on the cusp of sizing I think. us10 32 TM2 boot seems like the large is the go (10-13), but my boots fit my Katanas well (M/L)
The size charts are a bit inconsistent depending on where you look
I like the idea of skate-tech where you can change the bushings out and also moving the bindings to other boards by undoing the kingpin and slotting it back on without having to re-set the disc angles and all that.
do the Now drives fit on the small side? or are they true to the size range?
They have changed for 2022 with the wider hanger 3.0, but not sure if that's worth waiting for

·
Registered
104 Posts
The heel fits looks about the same as my Burton, I just put it in both bindings. I put Burton straps on one and the ladder is quite a bit longer. The Now straps will work fine but the Burtons are better

·
Registered
656 Posts
You like the hybrid, I think my feet would only fit on a 161 and that might be too big for me?

Have been eyeing the yes greats or the bataleon boss at rhythm. Very cheap for those boards atm...
Interestingly, the Hybrid has the same tip, waist, and tail widths for the 157 as it does for the 161 - what size boot are you? I must admit I'm in two minds - on one hand, in SUPER heavy spring slush, I did feel like i was overpowering the board (and that I might have benefited from the 161), BUT!! Yes has pretty damn wide reference stances on their non-kids sizes. My preferred stance is a full 4cm narrower than the ref. stance on the 157, and I so another part of me thinks that a 161 would have pulled me even further away from those "directional tapered underbite" contact points.

Depending on your boot size, all things being equal, I'd think that if you can get away with X boot size on a 161, you'd be able to get away with it on a 157 as well. The deciding factors would be your weight and stance width. I wouldn't be intimidated by a 161 if you're heavy enough / powerful enough. It's a really forgiving board to ride - softer flex than i expected (NOT taking into account my weight, because I've pretty much always ridden slightly undersized boards), easy edge to edge transitions due to the rocker in the tip and the tail, and man, that tail was A LOT of fun in the super heavy slush - straightline it for a bit, then just lean back and use the tail to shave off speed - akin to driving your tail down to cut speed in deep pow.

Have any of you guys tried Now Drive bindings? some 2020 or 2021s on sale at the moment. I'm on the cusp of sizing I think. us10 32 TM2 boot seems like the large is the go (10-13), but my boots fit my Katanas well (M/L)
I like the idea of skate-tech where you can change the bushings out and also moving the bindings to other boards by undoing the kingpin and slotting it back on without having to re-set the disc angles and all that.
They have changed for 2022 with the wider hanger 3.0, but not sure if that's worth waiting for
Take this with a grain of salt, but my experience with Now sizing has been (list time! I love lists):
  • previously, had Now IPO in hangar 1.0, size L, paired with (oversize but i didn't know any better) bulky ThirtyTwo Prions in size 10.5 - this was before they streamlined the Prion's sole.
  • I bought size L in the hangar 1.0 because I'd been riding oversized boots and buying size L bindings for years and years, so didn't question it
  • I should have realised at the time, that the bindings were too big (wasn't ready just yet, to shell out for models with hangar 2.0, in case i didn't like Skate Tech)
    • the giveaway should have been that i had to ask Twelve for size M ankle and toe straps - the stock L size were WAY too big - maxing out the ankle ladder (literally last tooth), and toe straps kept popping off my toe box even when cranked to the last tooth
    • i'd read accounts that the heelcup in hangar 1.0 was quite narrow, so had no issue with sticking with size L
    • in hindsight i should have been on hangar 2.0 in M
  • this is all to say that I reckon with the wider hangar 2.0 and (likely) slimmed-down outsoles of not-old Thirty Twos size 10, if it were my call, i would say you'd be better off in size M <--- mind you, I'm not sure just how bulky TM2's are these days.
Hope that provides SOME sort of food for thought!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Was a bit bizarre today - expecting sun and warm temps all day, got to the parking lot and was a bit crabby with myself - I'd just brought up my flanno and my vest, and it was snowing. I usually associate daytime snow at Falls, with wet heavy snow - clothes getting wet sooner than I'd like, and moisture sticking to goggles.

It was a bit surreal, seeing light fluffy snow falling from a high cloud ceiling, even though it was warm enough to ride without gloves, AND YET cool enough for me to wear goggles (for me, thin gloves / no gloves = I'll overheat in goggles, so will wear my Oakley Windjackets instead) - was a bizarre combination! It cleared up as midday approached. Snow was some new snow on top of a firm base, even at 11am, so I ditched my plans to hit Towers (every chair was occupied to some degree), and just smashed Hailey's Comet instead.

My intent for the day was really only two things: 1) try out my Flux DSW for the first time, see how they feel; 2) practice switch where I can, and find side hits (to hit regular) to get some sort of air confidence back - not something I've had much opportunity to do for the last few seasons.

It was a fun day - started to get my confidence back on some side hits, got some switch riding in, and managed to practice some flatland 180 spin practice, a la Snowboard Addiction style (I once watched a vid where they talked about weighting your edge so that spinning without leaving the ground, is as seamless as possible - and that that would help get a feel for spinning off jumps. I'm not afraid to admit that I buy into that shit).

Was VERY pleasantly surprised with the Flux DSW:
  • Ever since I first rode Flux 20 years ago (and had a few pairs since), their quality has never been in doubt for me. They are a VERY high quality bit of kit, every component, in every sense. NOTHING has been overlooked or short-cut.
  • Wings aren't for everyone (or even most) - I get it. But I found the wing to be quite supportive, following me around when moving about - compared to my Malavita Wings:
    • less rigid than the Malavita
    • less aggressive than the Malavita in terms of design (Malavita highbacks are "canted" inwards, whereas the Flux employs a more straight up and down highback design)
  • Don't get me wrong, I don't mind minidisc (Nitro Team Pro, Phantom), Re:Flex and AutoCant etc that allow for surfy lateral play, but I must admit that it was refreshing to get back onto a relatively stiff, solid, full-disc baseplate. Combined with the forgiving yet somehow supportive highback, it made for a good all mountain combo.
  • UU fit (whereby they place the sliders and ladders completely inside the chassis) makes for a fit that is snug as a bug.
  • Lack of canting did not bother me or my knees at all - perhaps to do with my now narrower stance (54-55cms depending on application. For years I rode 58-62cm, I might have felt the lack of canting if I were running those widths now).
    • For me, the jury is still out re: canting. I don't reeeeeally notice Burton's AutoCant when I ride (I love Burton bindings and think they're amazing, and yet they have this clever way of also feeling like..... just a binding), I find that my Nitro Phantoms work well with canting (although it'd be nice to have an option of flat front, canted rear), I admit to being worried about having ridden some form of canting for the last few years, and that these Fluxs would cause knee and ankle pain, but... nope.
  • UNDERFOOT PADDING - THIS is where I confess I was feeling a little bit worried. Here I am on the forums, talking about a second set of Flux next season, when I hadn't even ridden these ones yet, so had no way to tell whether the lack of underfoot padding would be a deal breaker or not. BSO syndrome perhaps?
    • YES, you get practically ZERO padding - less than even the thin foam on Nitro baseplates, and WAY less than e.g. Burton foam (on both Re:Flex and EST).
    • AND YET, I honestly didn't feel that lack of padding at all! Just felt like a familiar, rigid baseplate, full-disc, un-canted, comfortable binding. No thought required, no sore joints/feet creeping up sooner than they should.
  • Sizing - i can confirm for anyone who's curious / interested, that whilst Flux states that 10+ should be in a size L, this IS NOT the case for size 10 reduced-footprint boots.
    • I ride Burton Ruler Wide size 10, and the boot centering on board (discs oriented for side to side adjustment, not toe-heel), is about as good as it gets - akin to size 10 Burton boots in size M Burton bindings
    • the extendable toe and heel ramps are fantastic - they allow you to place drive directly under your heel, and the ball of your foot, rather than feel like you're being shortchanged by a fixed-length foam foot pad
Well, that's it from me for tonight (as far as gear reviews). I know I should be putting this into the binding section, but meh, figured that traffic / posts in here ain't a bad thing to tide us folks over, as our season tapers off.

If anyone doesn't like my posting gear stuff here (within my update/other posts), or if anyone feels like my on-snow updates are a bit boastful and annoying (given how many have been robbed of days on the snow this season) - I assure you that is not my intent, but let me know so that I can taper off :)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Interestingly, the Hybrid has the same tip, waist, and tail widths for the 157 as it does for the 161 - what size boot are you? I must admit I'm in two minds - on one hand, in SUPER heavy spring slush, I did feel like i was overpowering the board (and that I might have benefited from the 161), BUT!! Yes has pretty damn wide reference stances on their non-kids sizes. My preferred stance is a full 4cm narrower than the ref. stance on the 157, and I so another part of me thinks that a 161 would have pulled me even further away from those "directional tapered underbite" contact points.

Depending on your boot size, all things being equal, I'd think that if you can get away with X boot size on a 161, you'd be able to get away with it on a 157 as well. The deciding factors would be your weight and stance width. I wouldn't be intimidated by a 161 if you're heavy enough / powerful enough. It's a really forgiving board to ride - softer flex than i expected (NOT taking into account my weight, because I've pretty much always ridden slightly undersized boards), easy edge to edge transitions due to the rocker in the tip and the tail, and man, that tail was A LOT of fun in the super heavy slush - straightline it for a bit, then just lean back and use the tail to shave off speed - akin to driving your tail down to cut speed in deep pow.

Take this with a grain of salt, but my experience with Now sizing has been (list time! I love lists):
  • previously, had Now IPO in hangar 1.0, size L, paired with (oversize but i didn't know any better) bulky ThirtyTwo Prions in size 10.5 - this was before they streamlined the Prion's sole.
  • I bought size L in the hangar 1.0 because I'd been riding oversized boots and buying size L bindings for years and years, so didn't question it
  • I should have realised at the time, that the bindings were too big (wasn't ready just yet, to shell out for models with hangar 2.0, in case i didn't like Skate Tech)
    • the giveaway should have been that i had to ask Twelve for size M ankle and toe straps - the stock L size were WAY too big - maxing out the ankle ladder (literally last tooth), and toe straps kept popping off my toe box even when cranked to the last tooth
    • i'd read accounts that the heelcup in hangar 1.0 was quite narrow, so had no issue with sticking with size L
    • in hindsight i should have been on hangar 2.0 in M
  • this is all to say that I reckon with the wider hangar 2.0 and (likely) slimmed-down outsoles of not-old Thirty Twos size 10, if it were my call, i would say you'd be better off in size M <--- mind you, I'm not sure just how bulky TM2's are these days.
Hope that provides SOME sort of food for thought!
Indeed it does. I am chewing thoughtfully, seasoned with that grain of salt and a twist of black pepper.

It lines up with my Katana experience. The Rome distro tried to convince me that L/XL would be the correct binding size, but Angry assured me that he and Kevin knew that M/L would work fine, and it did 100%. enough ladder left to crank down with, but not too much, with a US10 boot.
From what you are saying, and from @rayt100 's pics, Medium is the Way. 🤙

·
Registered
656 Posts
From what you are saying, and from @rayt100 's pics, Medium is the Way. 🤙
At risk of having put that Rib Eye into the microwave instead of on the BBQ, and having twisted the pepper mill so much that it has doused your microwave Rib Eye in wayyyy too much black pepper....

I was a bee's peepee away from getting Now hangar 2.0 this season - indeed, I actually bought some Now Select Pros and had them shipped to me - the store's web page depicted next season's Select Pros, with hangar 3.0 - given the buying power of this store, I believed that they must have been the only store in Aus to have secured a couple of pairs of 2022 Nows.

For this (and previous) seasons, the Select Pro employed the hangar 1.0. I received the current hangar 1.0 (because both this year and next year's Select Pro both come in some form of green), which was too narrow of course. So I had to return them and look elsewhere for my carving rig(s).

Given the strap/ladder lengths, and the supposed wider heelcup of the hangar 2.0, scrap hangar 3.0 for now - at size 10 Wides, I would have kept those Select Pros in M, on hangar 2.0, no doubt in my mind. L would be too big. Too much heel overhang, if anything else (unless TM2 size 10 is like, really long and bulky)

I am a definite fan of Nows, I just wish you could rotate the highbacks instead of this "16degree highback-to-heel edge difference for anyone who likes +/+ angles when carving" offset that they continue to stick with). That being said, those poly bushings are something a bit special. The ability to switch em out based on what you feel like (once you've got the 3 sets of durometer), the chatter that they dispense like John Wick annihilating anyone who doesn't like dogs....

Jeez I can waffle on. I should write a book of some sort.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Scott, are you and your Dad ok? 6.0 earthquake with the epicentre up mansfield way

Guardian quake article...

At risk of having put that Rib Eye into the microwave instead of on the BBQ, and having twisted the pepper mill so much that it has doused your microwave Rib Eye in wayyyy too much black pepper....

I was a bee's peepee away from getting Now hangar 2.0 this season - indeed, I actually bought some Now Select Pros and had them shipped to me - the store's web page depicted next season's Select Pros, with hangar 3.0 - given the buying power of this store, I believed that they must have been the only store in Aus to have secured a couple of pairs of 2022 Nows.

For this (and previous) seasons, the Select Pro employed the hangar 1.0. I received the current hangar 1.0 (because both this year and next year's Select Pro both come in some form of green), which was too narrow of course. So I had to return them and look elsewhere for my carving rig(s).

Given the strap/ladder lengths, and the supposed wider heelcup of the hangar 2.0, scrap hangar 3.0 for now - at size 10 Wides, I would have kept those Select Pros in M, on hangar 2.0, no doubt in my mind. L would be too big. Too much heel overhang, if anything else (unless TM2 size 10 is like, really long and bulky)

I am a definite fan of Nows, I just wish you could rotate the highbacks instead of this "16degree highback-to-heel edge difference for anyone who likes +/+ angles when carving" offset that they continue to stick with). That being said, those poly bushings are something a bit special. The ability to switch em out based on what you feel like (once you've got the 3 sets of durometer), the chatter that they dispense like John Wick annihilating anyone who doesn't like dogs....

Jeez I can waffle on. I should write a book of some sort.
Just have a t-shirt done - " I snowboard and I know things " and move on 🤙
It would be an interesting book. Doo eeit!

The apparent lack of adjustability in the drives is a bit poo. I like the idea of being able to whip the bindings off one board and put them on another with the discs already locked down and set to the correct angles. I don't think any other binding has that(??)

·
Registered
410 Posts
I've been on the Pilots for the past 2 years and rate them very highly! I bought some Drives for this season but you know how that went. Previous bindings were Burton Genesis which I promptly sold after trying the Pilots, all foot fatigue disappeared for me, an absolute game changer. I also have some Union Contact on my park board, they are ok, nothing special, nothing bad about them either, they just suit the park board well as they allow a lot of flex.
The only other bindings I have are the Burton X-base in EST. I bought those after trying them on my mates Archetype because I absolutely loved the board feel and precision, there is basically nothing between your boot and the board but they are very stiff, they just work so good on my Archetype but a very niche binding.
Can't really help you with size on the Now's, I'm a US9 and the M fits my boot perfectly.

741 - 760 of 798 Posts