Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
761 - 780 of 798 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Scott, are you and your Dad ok? 6.0 earthquake with the epicentre up mansfield way

Guardian quake article...

Just have a t-shirt done - " I snowboard and I know things " and move on 🤙
It would be an interesting book. Doo eeit!

The apparent lack of adjustability in the drives is a bit poo. I like the idea of being able to whip the bindings off one board and put them on another with the discs already locked down and set to the correct angles. I don't think any other binding has that(??)
Hey man!

Lol. My cousin's words (in Sydney): "you funny cnut" - when my bedroom wall started rattling, my windows shaking, i ran out in my PJs and flip flops with a broom in my hands, thinking it was some smart arse kids playing a prank of some sort.

So..... i lived in Japan for 4 years. They are supposedly adept at dealing with earthquakes. Nope - All you need, people, in order to deal with an earthquake, is PJs, flip flops, and a broom to swat annoying kids away. I've got this dialled.

To sum it up: "oi! get off my lawn!!!"

·
Registered
656 Posts
IN OTHER NEWS

I'm a bit drunk, trying to make sense of things etc since my cousin (who was a young, vibrant, very attractive and active 41) passed away last week. Super awesome defeat of breast cancer, went in for a routine check up, they found out that despite her amazing recovery, the cancer had obliterated her lungs - ventilator>hope>it's done - was all over within 48hrs.

Went up the hill today. Won't say too much, other than:
  • K2 Party Platter is an absolute, total total total fcking keeper. If you wanted to start nose-roll 180ing like Knapton, fuck the Lumberjack, the PP is where it's at. Roll around, lean forward, spring off the nose/tail, and try not to overspin. Today was the most personally rewarding riding day I have had since Japan in early 2019.
  • Flux. Yep. They're lovely. Just ordered some Bluco's. People say that the lack of underfoot padding is a deal breaker. I get that. These just feel SO locked in, everything being communicated to the snow... I dunno, I'm back in love again.
Gonna sell a bunch of stuff very, very soon.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've been on the Pilots for the past 2 years and rate them very highly! I bought some Drives for this season but you know how that went. Previous bindings were Burton Genesis which I promptly sold after trying the Pilots, all foot fatigue disappeared for me, an absolute game changer. I also have some Union Contact on my park board, they are ok, nothing special, nothing bad about them either, they just suit the park board well as they allow a lot of flex.
The only other bindings I have are the Burton X-base in EST. I bought those after trying them on my mates Archetype because I absolutely loved the board feel and precision, there is basically nothing between your boot and the board but they are very stiff, they just work so good on my Archetype but a very niche binding.
Can't really help you with size on the Now's, I'm a US9 and the M fits my boot perfectly.
Thanks @JDA I think I have the sizing sussed. Do the Now Pilots and Drives have canted footbeds? I can't find any info to confirm that either yay or nay. Did you get 2021 Drives?

·
Registered
293 Posts
IN OTHER NEWS

I'm a bit drunk, trying to make sense of things etc since my cousin (who was a young, vibrant, very attractive and active 41) passed away last week. Super awesome defeat of breast cancer, went in for a routine check up, they found out that despite her amazing recovery, the cancer had obliterated her lungs - ventilator>hope>it's done - was all over within 48hrs.

Went up the hill today. Won't say too much, other than:
  • K2 Party Platter is an absolute, total total total fcking keeper. If you wanted to start nose-roll 180ing like Knapton, fuck the Lumberjack, the PP is where it's at. Roll around, lean forward, spring off the nose/tail, and try not to overspin. Today was the most personally rewarding riding day I have had since Japan in early 2019.
  • Flux. Yep. They're lovely. Just ordered some Bluco's. People say that the lack of underfoot padding is a deal breaker. I get that. These just feel SO locked in, everything being communicated to the snow... I dunno, I'm back in love again.
Gonna sell a bunch of stuff very, very soon.
Fark mate, that's some heavy shit, sorry to hear, sounds like she was a great person.

All I have to offer right now is well-meaning words. Sometimes, there are no answers, and nothing makes sense. Rather, what's meaningful is how we deal with things that happen in our lives and how those events shape our character.
Something I read once is that the best way to mourn the dead is to take care of the living. Hug your Dad, Tweak those boards the F out on awesome Aussie slush and breathe clean mountain air. Live. It's all we can do.

I'm planning to get up that way to ride as the weather warms up and we get let off the leash.
hit me up if you are into doing a bit of road or MTB riding. nothing mega tough, just going for a spin somewhere scenic. 🤙

·
Registered
410 Posts
Thanks @JDA I think I have the sizing sussed. Do the Now Pilots and Drives have canted footbeds? I can't find any info to confirm that either yay or nay. Did you get 2021 Drives?
I can't see any canting on either of them. The Drives are 2020, I bought them dirt cheap at the end of last season for $313.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Oakley flight deck xm goggles came today. actually a bit on the small side, but the fit around the nose seems good.
there is a bit of a gap at each side when wearing my Anon helmet. I could have got the XL, which is only a bit bigger, apparently.
No gaping side gap with the line miners, but the seal around my nose bridge isn't good.

Does anyone know if there is a decent goggle size comparison chart with specifications on it?
I looked on the Oakley Australia site and couldn't find one. If anyone knows of a chart for Anon goggles that would be cool too.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #768 · (Edited)
Oakley flight deck xm goggles came today. actually a bit on the small side, but the fit around the nose seems good.
there is a bit of a gap at each side when wearing my Anon helmet. I could have got the XL, which is only a bit bigger, apparently.
No gaping side gap with the line miners, but the seal around my nose bridge isn't good.

Does anyone know if there is a decent goggle size comparison chart with specifications on it?
I looked on the Oakley Australia site and couldn't find one. If anyone knows of a chart for Anon goggles that would be cool too.
Yeah, large framed goggles are massive bonus.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Trigger Bros through Ebay has an Ebay 20% off on top of their already reduced prices. Promo Code "
"

Some really good finds here.
Craig,
Thanks for the heads-up on the Trigger Bros sale. Scored some spare bindings :)
Burton spares seem fairly easy to get hold of too, which is a bonus.

Might have to pass on a new board, the PYL I was eyeing off @ twelve went back to full retail.
On the upside, I did score a new helmet, bindings, and some goggles, which pretty much blew all my spare $$, so maybe I got what I needed, rather than what I was lusting after.
At least that's what I keep telling myself. 🤪 :ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
1,125 Posts
Stoked, jumped on to Rhthym Snowsports and grabbed a new ladies Volcom Leda Goretex jacket for my daughter for Xmas nearly half price. Bonus also was that I'd been eyeing off the Volcom Brighton Anorak for some time but couldn't justify the $400 price tag but they had it on clearance for a tad over $200 so grabbed one for me - Xmas done.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #773 ·
Stoked, jumped on to Rhthym Snowsports and grabbed a new ladies Volcom Leda Goretex jacket for my daughter for Xmas nearly half price. Bonus also was that I'd been eyeing off the Volcom Brighton Anorak for some time but couldn't justify the $400 price tag but they had it on clearance for a tad over $200 so grabbed one for me - Xmas done.
They have a few really good bargains on outerwear. Their stock is getting low on last seasons gear, just have to be lucky to find ones in your size. Maybe the only positive to come out of Covid.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Craig,
Thanks for the heads-up on the Trigger Bros sale. Scored some spare bindings :)
Burton spares seem fairly easy to get hold of too, which is a bonus.

Might have to pass on a new board, the PYL I was eyeing off @ twelve went back to full retail.
On the upside, I did score a new helmet, bindings, and some goggles, which pretty much blew all my spare $$, so maybe I got what I needed, rather than what I was lusting after.
At least that's what I keep telling myself. 🤪 :ROFLMAO:
Hey man, don't be afraid to shoot Twelve an email, querying their prices online - there are PLENTY of times that e.g. I've seen 2021 Yes Y for full retail, whereas the 2022 is 25-35% off - they are a great store with a great crew, but their online game is NOT on point.

Nice man! That Volcom stuff should be primo for next season.

Sorry I've been MIA gang, my cousin's death hit me hard for a while there. Not trying to make sense of this anymore, just helping her little bro (one of my snowboarding buddies - we've ridden together at Buller and Perisher and Falls over the years, and went to Japan in 2019).

Managed to get last day of the season with my old man, Sunday last week - bluebird day, ffff all people, just Haley's and Towers chairs running - well, Scott's was running as well, but didn't get over there.

Had my Flux DSW mounted on my Amplid Stereo 155 - riding both for the first time. WOW. Yes, the conditions were slow and the slush got choppy pretty early - it became the case that you kinda had to stick to the steeper Highway 83 and Main St runs, in order to get any joy - FORGET Wombats, that was too slow, and the side hits were rutted out to the ground - not willing to get a core shot on a brand new deck, just for some grounded out site hits.

NEVER BEFORE have I ridden a deck that really truly is sensitive to rider weight. I felt like the Stereo 155 was a too soft, whereas with other decks similar length in the past, it hasn't really been a problem. I am going to get a lot of use outta this deck, but upon reflection, thinking about my previous day on the K2 PP 152, I really wish Amplid would put basalt stringers, their light core, impact plates, and Viscodamp into the Dada - THAT would be an awesome all-mtn freestyle, forgiving, playful upper-end deck.

Mannnnnnn... that Viscodamp - this shit really works. Combined with the supposedly stiff, knee-weakening baseplates of my Flux bindings, lol - I didn't feel like I was missing out on dampening at all, and yet I had lovely feel underfoot, and lots of control. The board is so poppy that even under MY weight, when angling my weight to do a roll-off-the-nose switch BS 180 flatland spin, the little guy threw me into a 270, I was blown away! With the right rider and under nice Spring time slush bump conditions, flatland 540's would ABSOLUTELY be possible all day, with this deck.

Just got shipment of some new Flux SR Bluco's, they're pretty sweet, but a tad heavier than the DSW. A hallmark of how good they might potentially be, is that when I lived in Japan, Flux baseplates were ALL wide, total contact, full disc - so I would like to give these Transfer baseplates a go. I reckon they might turn out well for all mtn use - highback is pretty flexy side-to-side, but man it's stiff front-to-back. Makes me think that this highback is Flux's version of the Burton Diode/Clutch highback, which is no bad thing.

Been looking for ways to get up the hill, but between the constant rain over the last few days, and my car's power steering issues (tried to get up the hill from town in order to meet an appointment up the hill - Google says 42mins, I was trying to nail it in under 24 (that's not a typo, I've done it in 27min before)), going around a corner and lost all power steering. NOT HAPPY JAN! Had to do the indicated corner speeds the rest of the way, until my power steering returned.

I am happy to call the season - DONE. There is a lot to look forward to for next season. I've been eating well, slowly losing weight, and getting more limber. 2022 - bring it on!!!

PS Thank you gentlemen and gentleladies whoever read my post. I realise that in amongst this relative isolation - I go to the grocer's the butcher's, hang with my old man - i don't REALLY have a huge social network. Interacting with you guys on here, is pretty important to me, so thank you. :)

·
Registered
293 Posts
PS Thank you gentlemen and gentleladies whoever read my post. I realise that in amongst this relative isolation - I go to the grocer's the butcher's, hang with my old man - i don't REALLY have a huge social network. Interacting with you guys on here, is pretty important to me, so thank you. :)
As one of my FB friends loves to say: Rock the Fuck On! 🤜🤛

Welcome to my world. At least you live near mountains, I just live amidst suburbs full of covidiots. :oops:

·
Registered
293 Posts
AUS and NZ Just a heads-up in case you were considering USPS for delivery

as of 1 October, 2021

The Postal Service™ is temporarily suspending international mail acceptance for certain destinations due to impacts related to the COVID-19 pandemic and other unrelated service disruptions.

*Australia’s service disruption affects Priority Mail International® (PMI), First-Class Package International Service® (FCPIS®), Commercial ePacket (CeP), International Priority Airmail® (IPA®) packets, International Priority Airmail® (IPA®) M-Bags, International Surface Air Lift® (ISAL®) packets, International Surface Air Lift® (ISAL®) M-Bags, and Airmail M-Bags.

·
Super Moderator
1,125 Posts
Back on the mainland!!

Been away with work for a week and a bit with little coverage, so good!!

Had a ball just snorkelling and swimming in the Ocean around Coco's Keeling and Christmas Islands and was so good. Fantastic part of the world. Swam with old mate below for a good 5 minutes which was a highlight.

From reef to snow we have a great world!

Water Vertebrate Natural environment Organism Underwater

·
Registered
293 Posts
Were there any Australia black friday/Cyber monday/click frenzy deals on oakley sunglasses last year?
I was looking for some MTB sunnies recently, and I frikken slept on a great deal on Oakley Radar EV Advancer with prizm torch lens. out of stock when I looked in the morning :mad::cry::cry:🤪

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #779 ·
Were there any Australia black friday/Cyber monday/click frenzy deals on oakley sunglasses last year?
I was looking for some MTB sunnies recently, and I frikken slept on a great deal on Oakley Radar EV Advancer with prizm torch lens. out of stock when I looked in the morning :mad::cry::cry:🤪
Not sure for them but there are always Black Friday sales etc with most of the Snowboard outlets.

761 - 780 of 798 Posts