Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1061 - 1080 of 1126 Posts

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,063 ·
Funny, when I mentioned that I was just going to check with ACMA regarding the AusPost/StarTrack option I haven't heard anything further from him.
NT I have a fastways account (now Aramex). They are unreal. You have to run with a + amount of $$$ in your account and the Dispatches come of this. You can ship most things and it's the same courier that drops off and picks up from your joint around the same time each day. You need the name, address, email phone of receiver and they get all tracking info, but they don't see the amount. I always get $$$ bank transfer before dispatching.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,064 · (Edited)
3 days on the mountain at Perisher so far. So good to get back after 2 years abstinence from Covid shut downs.
Sky Plant Snow Mountain Cloud

Brought 3 new boards for trip; '22 Custom 166W, '22 Show Stopper 162 and '22 Straight Chuter 162.

The Straight Chuter 162 was pretty good and I ran it with the XBase EST which felt pretty responsive. Not sure if I can feel much difference between them and the Genesis EST which I run on F5 forward lean.
Shoe Snow Automotive tire Freezing Glove

Today I jumped on the Show Stopper and this is an absolutely brilliant board. The biggest thing I instantly felt is the Show Stopper just loves to turn. You can feel that tighter side cut really coming into play and working a treat.
Glasses Snow Sky Sports equipment Goggles

I'll knock out a few review's when I get home as it's so much easier on desktop.

And I forgot to add..., had a 1st today. This guy jumps on lift with me and as they do instantly pulls out his mobile to check out any of his missed important messages??? Next think I see all this smoke billowing out everywhere, I glance over and the clown is vaping his guts out as well. Only in Australia mate.

·
Registered
409 Posts
And I forgot to add..., had a 1st today. This guy jumps on lift with me and as they do instantly pulls out his mobile to check out any of his missed important messages??? Next think I see all this smoke billowing out everywhere, I glance over and the clown is vaping his guts out as well. Only in Australia mate.
There used to be big targets under chairlifts for people to throw their cigarette butts (there wase a huge tarp underneath so that it's easier to clean at the end of the season). Because yes, people would jump on your chair and smoke 🥖. Haven't seen that in a while though…

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,067 ·
I was surprised pulling out the Hero 7 black after not being used for 2 years the 3 gopro batteries would be rooted but after a big charge from empty they are powering. Only need 1 battery for a day (shooting time lapse stills at 1 sec intervals on 128 gb Micro SD card).

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,068 · (Edited)
Weird day on the mountain. Felt warmer today, jumping in the car was 7°C and 2° in Perisher car park but on the mountain with very light intermittent snow and moderate winds it felt like -10°.

Cloud Snow Sky Mountain Slope

Coldest I felt in Australia for a while. Lucky I was riding with a zipped up [ak] Swash so was okay.

Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Snow

Spent another day on the Straight Chuter. Feels a good board but no where as enjoyable as the Show Stopper.

Sky Snow Tree Street light Slope

Still working out just where Straight Chuter fits in with how I like to ride. Probably just need to spend some more time on it to work it out.

Snow Tree Slope Headgear Freezing

The Straight Chuter surely drives and turns hard.

Snow Sports equipment Glove Slope Helmet

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,069 · (Edited)
8 to 10cm overnight leaving snow on the trees and a few untouched hidden powder stashes to be found, which is really unlike Oz. Crowds weren't that bad for Friday but the fresh areas got quickly eaten up and destroyed.

Snow Slope Helmet Terrain Jacket

The Show Stopper went superb again....., truly a joy to ride. You'll easily get addicted to its brilliant ability to effortlessly change directions in an instant......, just so turny, like a dedicated slalom ride. Riding 18/+6 at -10mm from reference creating slightly shorter tail.

Snow Sports equipment Slope Jacket Snowboarding

Banged it through a few powder areas which felt so good having that Hokkaido like floating feeling underfoot.

Footwear Snow Sports equipment Tree Slope

Only big downside with Show Stopper is my legs have collapsed by around 2pm from being overworked....., I'd say that's a good thing though.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,070 · (Edited)
Had the weekend off just to miss the super heavy crowds.

Cloud Sky Mountain Snow Slope

They closed access to the mountain due to both Thredbo and Perisher car parks overflowing from about 10am.

Cloud Sky Slope Cable car Snow

Yesterday super super windy all day with a fair bit of snow dumping as well however only T bars open all day resulting in massive waiting queues at each base station all day. Stuff that.

Snow Slope Branch People in nature Terrain

Kept snowing all night and they said this morning it was about 5cm but I was finding wind blown pocket stashes of at least 10.

Snow Camouflage Military camouflage Slope Helmet

As a result up early, not much wind at all. 10km slow queue into the car park but crowds weren't that bad. Just everyone up to hit it early.

Sky Snow Mountain Slope Ice cap

Best day I've had in Perisher for years. I trekked up the mountain and got a little fresh drop into Blue Cow.

Head Sports equipment Snow Leg Sky

·
Super Moderator
1,594 Posts
Looking forward to review on the Show Stopper, I know it's probably not far away but that board gets some really good write ups from anyone that's ridden it. Glad you're getting pretty good conditions, not sure I'm going to get down to Falls now next week, will be a last minute decision if I go depending on flights/accom now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I managed to somehow miss all the various illnesses doing the rounds and made it to Falls Creek last week. It was a mix of conditions which ended with a pow day last Friday. Some good tree runs off Last Hoot once it filled in. Not too busy overall, probably helped by going during the week. Good variety of runs and I still have plenty I didn't see off the summit chair. Stayed at the FC Country Club. Basic room with a kitchen. Close to the Gully Chair and only a 5 min walk to main base area. Overall a great week.
Cloud Sky Snow Automotive tire Slope

Sky Snow Cloud Sports equipment Slope

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Started ou a bluebird day at Perisher. Sadly no snow overnight like yesterdays epic conditions, so initially a bit crusty first up before turning a good slushy later on. Lift lines were the worst I had all trip...., until lunch, then they all disappear.
I was there yesterday, similar experience! Mount Perisher was definitely the unexpected star early morning - nice soft runs while everywhere else was crunchy. You could see the amount of snow the past few days by the submerged tables at the shop at the bottom of Eyre. The lines started growing large out there around 10:30 or so, where I made a line for Guthega. From there on it was some hot laps and bombing back to Mount P to finish off the day
Sky Cloud Outerwear Natural environment Outdoor recreation

Cloud Sky Shoe Snow Slope

Snow Branch Asphalt Freezing Road surface

Sky Snow Mountain Cloud Sports equipment

Cloud Sky Outerwear Mountain Snow

Sky Cloud Snow Mountain Slope

Cloud Sky Atmosphere Fence Snow

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,077 · (Edited)
Last day, big drive back home now. Epic last day today, 25cm overnight and snowing on arrival, was deeper in some areas.

Snow Tire Automotive tire Sky Wheel

Chains from Wilson Valley 2x4. Not joking, I wish I had the 3D Fish Powder board.

Sky Snow Mountain Slope Outdoor recreation

Couldn't Feel the bottom in some areas. Best day I think I've had in Australia for decades.

Sky Snow Slope Mountain Cloud

Took the Show Stopper out and it went unreal. I'll put some pics in when I get home. Big bonus....,no real lift line crowds as well.

Cloud Sky Snow Slope Ice cap

·
Premium Member
Endeavor BOD, Fix Magnum, Burton Driver X
2,190 Posts
Cardrona was busy today with being closed yesterday and Treble Cone closed today for road repair work (edit: apparently avalanche work).

Didn’t get many runs in as I was helping the kids. Eventually went off to hit some runs by myself but my legs killed me! That’s what I get for getting older and not doing any conditioning work…

Sky Snow Mountain Sports equipment Slope

Sky Cloud Snow Outdoor recreation Winter sport

Cloud Sky Snow Mountain Slope

·
Premium Member
2,190 Posts
Expecting a busy Saturday we left Wanaka at 7 and got in the top carpark just before 8. 15cm of powder overnight, no wind so it blanketed everywhere. Numbers were lower than yesterday so the queues weren’t too bad. Pow at TC would have attracted many people away from Cardrona.

I swapped to my Burton Tough Cat in the carpark for the extended rocker nose and it paid off. When I was able to ditch the family I got some good runs. Legs did better than yesterday which was a big plus.

Probably taking tomorrow off to let everyone recover!

Cloud Sky Snow Mountain Sports equipment

Footwear Snow Outerwear Cloud Helmet

·
Premium Member
2,190 Posts
As I sit in the Air New Zealand Lounge (free passes wooo) I thought I’d share a few photos of our final day which we spent at The Remarkables.

Low vis morning, improving throughout the day. Hard pack turning into slushy spring conditions.

Managed to get all 5 of us on the same chair for the first time. So the kids improved on this trip.

Sky Cloud Mountain Snow Slope

1061 - 1080 of 1126 Posts