Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1101 - 1120 of 1126 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm seriously bummed I won't be able to make it down this weekend for another Selwyn hike-in!
Seeing forecasts of up to 15cm at 1300 m :eyetwitch:

Best I can do Is drive down to my family's adalong property immediately after work on Wed and hope there's still some leftovers on the ground for one last spring trip thurs/fri

Second hand Atomic Backlands arrived last night too... but no bindings yet which likely means no testing until next season.
:lame:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Crossing fingers now... plan to drive down tonight and hike selwyn again tomorrow and Friday

Hoping the 20cm or so that should've fallen over the weekend is still there 😅

Had a blast last time but I'm not expecting blue skies this time... might make the hike to the top a little less pleasant.

·
Super Moderator
1,594 Posts
Gee, it looks okay riding at Perisher today, no lift line problems, plenty of empty chairs going up the mountain, fair amount of coverage for Spring.
Hey mate, you might see my Korua Pocket Rocket up the mountain today, sold it to someone near Canberra that was going to give it a run first time

·
Registered
458 Posts
A real mixed bag of conditions today, plenty of fresh pow still hanging around from the 65cm they received last weekend.
With the fog coming and going the visibility would be good one run and then nonexistent the next.
I chose the perfect board for the conditions paired with my new Ride A-10 bindings. The board is shaped like a coffin which is fitting, if it catches you cruising it will kill you.

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
Today I woke up expecting rain at Perisher but was rewarded with sunshine and one of the most fun days of my season. The rain did roll through but even though it was close by it totally missed us.
I was almost first chair on the quad which I took to the top and rode fresh corduroy all the way down the back to Mt Perisher triple chair where I was again one of the first up the chairlift.
From there I headed straight over to Eyre T-Bar which was also beautiful fresh corduroy, several laps of elbow dragging turns were had before people started to show up. After the corduroy was tracked I headed out wide off the top of the T-Bar where there was wind lips, cornice drops and plenty of untracked snow leftover from last weekend's dump.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not so lucky on my Selwyn hike... Had hoped that there would be a little coverage left which could've been topped up with what fell over the previous weekend; sadly this was not the case.
Nothing rideable... so I just hiked around the resort doing a spot of cheeky side-trail prep (moving some logs around and prepping some paths to cut through trees)
While also gaining a little more familiarity with the terrain.

Hoping to have my first 'REAL' season next year... as until now I haven't had more than a weekend in any one season.
Feeling like Selwyn, being accessible from family property and affordable enough to season pass for me, is a good resort to cut my teeth at. I figure that making a good few trips in the summer to get very familiar with the terrain while it's dry couldn't go astray; become a true 'local'.
Combined with the plan to pick up a split setup over the next few months as well to open up a little slackcountry around the boundaries. Definitely interested in being less of a flying couch weekend warrior and more invested in exploring the snowies with the occasional resort day with friends who aren't interested in backcountry and dodging trees.

Probably too soon to start talking about next season for folks who are hitting up the slopes further south where snow is still on the ground....
But anyone else already got plans for gear acquisition or new directions in 2023?

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,113 ·
Not so lucky on my Selwyn hike... Had hoped that there would be a little coverage left which could've been topped up with what fell over the previous weekend; sadly this was not the case.
Nothing rideable... so I just hiked around the resort doing a spot of cheeky side-trail prep (moving some logs around and prepping some paths to cut through trees)
While also gaining a little more familiarity with the terrain.

Hoping to have my first 'REAL' season next year... as until now I haven't had more than a weekend in any one season.
Feeling like Selwyn, being accessible from family property and affordable enough to season pass for me, is a good resort to cut my teeth at. I figure that making a good few trips in the summer to get very familiar with the terrain while it's dry couldn't go astray; become a true 'local'.
Combined with the plan to pick up a split setup over the next few months as well to open up a little slackcountry around the boundaries. Definitely interested in being less of a flying couch weekend warrior and more invested in exploring the snowies with the occasional resort day with friends who aren't interested in backcountry and dodging trees.

Probably too soon to start talking about next season for folks who are hitting up the slopes further south where snow is still on the ground....
But anyone else already got plans for gear acquisition or new directions in 2023?
Perisher still has a fair bit of snow left. I've been for a walk around Selwyn in summer and it appears a pretty green run of a Mountain.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Perisher still has a fair bit of snow left. I've been for a walk around Selwyn in summer and it appears a pretty green run of a Mountain.
The trail map is mostly blue and right about where I'm comfortable to progress atm.
There's some room for exploration in the trees and connecting runs though.

Definitely not a resort for folks who are looking for challenging terrain, steeps, etc.
But I'm thinking that might be what makes it suitable for my needs next season.

I'm also planning to teach my fiancée how to board next season and it's an ideal resort for first timers.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,115 ·
The trail map is mostly blue and right about where I'm comfortable to progress atm.
There's some room for exploration in the trees and connecting runs though.

Definitely not a resort for folks who are looking for challenging terrain, steeps, etc.
But I'm thinking that might be what makes it suitable for my needs next season.

I'm also planning to teach my fiancée how to board next season and it's an ideal resort for first timers.
What's a Selwyn Season pass run out at?
Is parking an issue like in peak with Perisher and Thredbo?

·
Registered
21 Posts
What's a Selwyn Season pass run out at?
Is parking an issue like in peak with Perisher and Thredbo?
About $500

In the ballpark of a 3day pass at Perisher... definitely worthwhile for first timers and beginners.

If you or people you're with are still in the Happy/Pretty valley zone it's almost a no-brainer?

Starts to lose it's appeal I imagine if you're hitting the peaks at perisher/blue cow; I'm not quite there yet. Might be after a 23 season at Selwyn 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
459 Posts
Will your relationship survive that? I think that it's usually best to have a significant other resent an instructor who isn't you, if they are getting frustrated with their progress, or 'not getting it'
just saying...

1101 - 1120 of 1126 Posts