Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

ANZAC Snowboarding. Australia & New Zealand (Trips, Quivers, Gear, Sales & General Discussion)

53602 1147
Being an Aussie have boarded Perisher/Thredbo all my life. Went to NZ in '94. Snowed everyday down to the Queenstown Lake....., epic conditions. Boarded Coronets and Remarkables.

So I find with my limited experience that there's not much different between Australia and NZ.

Doesn't seem to be much vegetation up high in the NZ mountains that I've been too.

I find now that I can't wait to spend my snowboarding trips in Japan.
Reactions: MountainMystic
1121 - 1140 of 1148 Posts

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Just booked flights to Japan for February next year, going with 3 of my mates, 2 of which have never been before. We are planning a big trip in 2024 so this one is just going to be inexpensive and a reasonably short 7 days of snowboarding in Hakuba using our epic passes.

so stoked!!!
I also have a trip to Japan in February with 3 of my mates for 7 days at Hakuba for our Epic passes :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
1,695 Posts
Last trip we stayed at Echoland, good spot, close to base camp to get shuttles between the various mountains, good food and drink options and great vibe. Almost like the Bali of Japan with the number of Aussies staying in that area.

Not sure where I’ll be going this season in Japan, would like to get up North but maybe Hakuna or Nozawa Onsen

·
Registered
493 Posts
This will be my 7th time to Japan, I've been to over 30 different ski resorts already in areas such as Hakuba, Myoko, Fukushima (Bandai), Yamagata (Zao Onsen) and several resorts up on Hokkaido.

I've stayed close to Echoland on 2 of previous trips but last time we went to Hakuba we stayed on snow in Tsugaike which I really enjoyed. Sure there are less dining options and no clubs (which I don't care about anyway) but when it dumps I really like being at Tsugaike resort for the tree runs.

For 2024 I'm keen to try some different areas, I've done a couple of powder hunting tours before with Powder Recon where they get you to different resorts each day for first chair and take you directly to the tree lines you would normally take weeks to discover. They offer an 8 day tour that travels around some areas of Honshu I haven't been before.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Have you been before, which area are you staying?
This will be my first snow trip to Japan . Staying in Echo Land district, a street or two back from the main strip. Think we have a shuttle stop basically across the road from the accomodation which was a bonus for why we chose our lodging
I've stayed close to Echoland on 2 of previous trips but last time we went to Hakuba we stayed on snow in Tsugaike which I really enjoyed. Sure there are less dining options and no clubs (which I don't care about anyway) but when it dumps I really like being at Tsugaike resort for the tree runs.
Sounds like a good idea for 2024 for me I think! What do you rate as the pick of the resorts there? None of our crew are really into park stuff, general all mountain plus some tree runs

·
Registered
493 Posts
Sounds like a good idea for 2024 for me I think! What do you rate as the pick of the resorts there? None of our crew are really into park stuff, general all mountain plus some tree runs
When it dumps overnight most people will flock to Cortina and for good reason, there are endless tree runs in that place but for me the vibe is a bit too powder frenzy but certainly worth doing to see for yourself.

I remember our first trip we waisted a lot of time just figuring out which tree runs would be safe to drop into, I didn't really have any experience riding through trees back then and it was mostly rope ducking style tree runs where you are second guessing yourself as to why the area is roped off. Things have really progressed a lot at some of the resorts now and they have dedicated gates in the areas where you can ride through the trees. At Tsugaike for example you need to take a 20 minute safety course which is free to attend and then you get an arm band to wear which gives you access to these gates. Hakuba47 has a similar system but you have to wear this ridiculous bib over your jacket.

All the resorts have some degree of tree runs but you just have to figure out where they are which does take time. For overnight dumps my picks would be Cortina, Tsugaike, Goryu/47, Happo One and Iwatake. For the 2 or 3 days after a big dump its worth checking out Kashimiyari and even Norikura as they are less popular and you may find some untracked zones.

·
Super Moderator
1,695 Posts
How's the coverage on Kosciuszko atm? Spring back-country?
I've just ordered a split for next season... but if my hardware arrives from the USA within the fortnight I can see myself trudging through slush just to try new kit :ROFLMAO:
Awesome, What split did you get?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Awesome, What split did you get?
Picked up a 2019 United Shapes Covert 161 that was reduced to half price!

I knew I wanted to get onto a splittie next season and had already picked up lightly used Backland Carbon boots.... but the price of entry into a split is MENTAL in Aus.
Was considering the Nitro slash and the Telos Back/Slash
Then I stumbled on this board listed at a clearance price and had to pull the trigger.

$700 is a lot easier to stomach than $1200+

And I believe that the United Shapes boards are actually pretty high quality? Not a huge amount of reviews but the board has carbon stringers and Karakoram hardware... I think I've read they are made in the same factory as gentem, telos, and moss?

·
Premium Member
Endeavor BOD, Fix Magnum, Burton Driver X
2,227 Posts

Yep well there’s a bad season and there’s season so bad your local goes into administration… Is this the end for Mt Ruapehu?

·
Registered
38 Posts
And I have a new splittie.... no car.... and a suspected broken foot....

Though I've seen pics of at least one slide, in pretty close; if you're headed out be careful!
Thats a lot of snow to be blown onto the sheet of rained out spring ice that had been all that remained of the snowpack underneath this dump.

·
Registered
527 Posts
And I have a new splittie.... no car.... and a suspected broken foot....

Though I've seen pics of at least one slide, in pretty close; if you're headed out be careful!
Thats a lot of snow to be blown onto the sheet of rained out spring ice that had been all that remained of the snowpack underneath this dump.
Had it x-rayed etc yet?
what happened to your car?

1121 - 1140 of 1148 Posts