Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I'm 5'7" 235lbs.
I ride a 2006 156 Burton Custom with Rome 390 Boss.

I saw alpine boarding is meant for carving and high speeds.

I am interested in it and was wondering if I can do an alpine set up with the equipment I have.

Also, where would I start with my binding degrees?

Thank you.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,620 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
but you could set what you have up with a forward stance and go carve though. Plenty of people carve in softboots. What are your current binding angles?

·
Registered
361 Posts
For my carving board I use a 0, +16 stance and it feels really easy to carve. It's pretty much impossible to ride switch on it now but so far it is great for carving and super stable on jumps provided you don't land switch.

·
Registered
8,666 Posts
a couple of entry ways....technique or equipment.
technique...get your high speed carve on in soft boots and max out your current set up.

equipment....buy and alpine board that matches your heft, mount your regular bindings and use your soft boots and give it a try....but still got to dial in the carving technique.

So start at dialing your high speed carve technique. With your current equip...you should be or are comfortable with holding 50-60 mph carves?

·
The Swiss Miss
7,620 Posts
:icon_scratch: I'm still a bit puzzled by the "alpine" and will interpret the question as "I want to try forward angles" :laugh:

The three very(!) fast and beautifully deep carving guys of my pack ride with +30/+15 or +12, unchanged many moons, so these angles seem to work well.
And yes, it's a bit tricky to ride switch with them, however possible. One of the three even carves switch (or is it fakie?). I can hardly do falling leaf with my +24/+12 :giggle:

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts
Binding angles depend on your setup and foot size. I am at 55, 50.

Where do you live? There are a few places that rent alpine equipment.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm with neni on the interpretation of 'forward stance.' It has been my experience that maintaining your current splay is a good place to start when going from duck to forward. I wouldn't go too crazy with the angles like baldylox at first especially in softies. With those angles I have to assume Baldylox is rocking hardboots.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Yeah, if you want to try forward stance I'd even say 10/30 would be a decent starting point.

If you really want to get into carving you'll need a hardboot setup, or a MUCH longer softboot board and stiff bindings and boots.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my bindings are very stiff.

I'm really just trying to see where I should start with a forward stance

also, can you jump with a forward stance. I go through terrain parks with my friends, i dont really hit rails but if there is a jump ill hit it

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah, if you want to try forward stance I'd even say 10/30 would be a decent starting point.

If you really want to get into carving you'll need a hardboot setup, or a MUCH longer softboot board and stiff bindings and boots.
hey guys, just wanted to confirm, you are saying front binding at +10, and rear binding at +30, correct? just seems weird to me to have the rear binding at a more extreme angle, I would have thought it would be more the opposite, like +30 front and +10 rear...

I mostly spend my time just carving and will most likely play around with forward stance next time out, and it would be nice to have a good idea for a starting point on angle. Also, i saw some people said 0 angle in front, anyone got much opinion on that? Thanks guys!

Rob

·
The Swiss Miss
7,620 Posts
just seems weird to me to have the rear binding at a more extreme angle, I would have thought it would be more the opposite, like +30 front and +10 rear...
Those who say e.g. +10/+30 ride goofy (this nomenclature is illogical for me as well :)). Anyway. It would be 30 front, 10 rear. Though I wouldn't start with them right away. Begin with e.g. +21/+9 and slowly increase if you feel comfortable.
Play with stance width as well. With forward angles, squatting isn't as easy as with duck. A little wider stance could help if you feel like you can't appropriately bend knees and ride low.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.