Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks!

I'm graduating from med school this year and managed to set up an elective for April that I can do remotely!

I live in MA and was hoping to ski bum a bit over the month if there's anything worth chasing. Right now the plan is to get a New England Pass that I can start using this week and maybe a rest of season pass at Killington. The New England Pass covers Loon, Sunday River, and Sugarloaf. I can stay pretty close to loon and airbnbs are pretty cheap during the week in VT.

Is this something worth chasing? I'm hoping to at least see some snow for a couple of weeks if possible.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For that late in the season I would stick to sugarloaf and jay peak. U could get lucky at the other mtns
That's kinda what I feared/figured...

Hmm, I don't know exactly how things work for Jay re :rest of season pass but hopefully between that and Killington and maybe smuggs I'd be able to get something together. I'd actually love to get out to Jay!

Loon is super convenient because I'd be able to bum lodging right on the mountain. I guess I can start there and work my way north as it goes warmer.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
As long as your expectations are realistic April should be fine. Most places will still be open through the 3rd week. Trail numbers will go down fast with the most challenging stuff being the first victims around the 2nd week of April, but so will number of people on the mountain.

It's really hit or miss. The temps at least for now are holding fairly good, but that could change in any given week and if a string of 70F sunny days come it can go fast.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Killington is usually open through May. Pickins will be getting slim for runs later in April. What else is there to do in the transition season? Unless you like trout fishing in MA.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm fund limited... But I guess I could always head out somewhere towards the end of the month?

I'm just worried that costs would spiral with airfare, car rental, and lodging.

I have a friend I could probably bum around with in Denver, but I don't know jack about the scene out there.

·
Registered
106 Posts
f00bar summed it up.

All the mountains you listed hold snow pretty well. Unless its a lousy spring you should be ok.

Killington is usually open through May. Pickins will be getting slim for runs later in April.
Sugarloaf is as well. Wildcat has been staying open late last few years too.

What else is there to do in the transition season?
Watch the dog poop sprout from the snow.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
f00bar summed it up.

All the mountains you listed hold snow pretty well. Unless its a lousy spring you should be ok.

Killington is usually open through May. Pickins will be getting slim for runs later in April.
Sugarloaf is as well. Wildcat has been staying open late last few years too.

What else is there to do in the transition season?
Watch the dog poop sprout from the snow.
This is my first season riding and I've only been at it for like two months. Kinda hooked and just trying to make it last.

Glad some stuff in the area will stay accessible. I might try seeing what Jay offers as well or just go spend a week there anyway. They might let me get a student pass either for the rest of the season or for one that starts now and works going forward.

I just got confirmation that I matched today (!!!) and will find out where on Friday. Either staying in mass or heading to VT this summer in all likelihood.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
First season I'd just chill and take a look at the weekly weather and decide what you want to do. Prices will drop like a rock at Jay for a place, I'd do a 4-5 day trip there and just go where the wind blows you locally the rest of the time.

Look will be good through most of April unless something bad happens weather wise.

·
Registered
106 Posts
This is my first season riding and I've only been at it for like two months. Kinda hooked and just trying to make it last.

Oh, man... think you're hooked now? Wait until your first sunny 65* soft snow day.

Glad some stuff in the area will stay accessible. I might try seeing what Jay offers as well or just go spend a week there anyway. They might let me get a student pass either for the rest of the season or for one that starts now and works going forward.

Some places offer late season deals; buy next years pass, ride the rest of this year for free. Not always published, so call around.

I just got confirmation that I matched today (!!!) and will find out where on Friday. Either staying in mass or heading to VT this summer in all likelihood.
Nice. Hopefully VT. :rofl4:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First season I'd just chill and take a look at the weekly weather and decide what you want to do. Prices will drop like a rock at Jay for a place, I'd do a 4-5 day trip there and just go where the wind blows you locally the rest of the time.

Look will be good through most of April unless something bad happens weather wise.
Yeah, i was going to get a pass or two but then wing it by the week. I'll likely only go during the week anyway unless good weather strikes. Places will be way less busy now though so it should be okay either way.

Oh, man... think you're hooked now? Wait until your first sunny 65* soft snow day.

Some places offer late season deals; buy next years pass, ride the rest of this year for free. Not always published, so call around.

Nice. Hopefully VT.
Loon is doing that kind of pass with Sunday river and sugarloaf. That's the new england pass. I'll likely grab something this weekend.

A group of us is planning to go to Killington later this month so the rest of season pass makes sense for them.

Jay doesn't do anything like that but they do season passes. Maybe they'll let me buy a student season pass for next year and start using it now.

I'm getting stoked. It's gonna be a good month!

·
Registered
106 Posts
If you're a going to be a weekend rider, Loon is a mob scene. Don't be fooled by April lift lines, Jan-Mar are hell.

Irving gas stations have BOGOs with 3 fill ups for certain mountains; Jay is one that is even good for Sundays.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you're a going to be a weekend rider, Loon is a mob scene. Don't be fooled by April lift lines, Jan-Mar are hell.

Irving gas stations have BOGOs with 3 fill ups for certain mountains; Jay is one that is even good for Sundays.
I've been to loon on three weekend days in Feb and it really wasn't that terrible but I probably just got lucky. I'm going again this weekend, but likely on Sunday.

I'd seen the irving thing but totally forgot about it. I doubt I'm going to fill up three times between now and April but maybe I can rope a friend into doing it with me! If you're allowed multiple, it would be pretty clutch.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Dude just go for it. The next three years minimum you will be lucky to see the mountain a handful of times. Trust me from one doc to one to be. Residency is a bitch. Go slash slush like there’s no tomorrow. Cuz next thing you know you’ll be knee deep in life and death for the rest of your life. Then there’ll be kids that do nothing but eat and shit for a few years. Ha. If you’re lucky like me they love carving turns as much as you.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Dude just go for it. The next three years minimum you will be lucky to see the mountain a handful of times. Trust me from one doc to one to be. Residency is a bitch. Go slash slush like there’s no tomorrow. Cuz next thing you know you’ll be knee deep in life and death for the rest of your life. Then there’ll be kids that do nothing but eat and shit for a few years. Ha. If you’re lucky like me they love carving turns as much as you.
I'm going into psych so hopefully life will be a little more reasonable!

I totally agree that the time is going to be super limited so I'm trying to make the most of it. I was actually going to go to Peru and do a Spanish Immersion, but the thought of sitting in a classroom for 6+hrs a day, even if it's in another country, is just not appealing to me any longer.

I'd rather go play outside while I can...
On the plus side this will also be significantly cheaper. I'm guessing I'll likely spend half as much over the entire month as I would for a flight+the course+expenses. That and I'm going to turn thirty and bought myself a board as an early birthday gift. I'll be bummed if I only get to use it 2-3 x over the rest of the season. SO APRIL RIDING IT IS!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Is there a clear winner between Jay, Killington, Smuggs, or Sugarloaf? Sugarbush in the running?

I think I might limit this to the first two weeks of the month just to hope for the best of the weather since it's not like it's going to get any better as April goes on.

So question is.... If you had two weeks, where would you plan to spend them? I'm guessing Killington has more of a young party ish vibe in the spring. Is that correct?

(not really a big plus for me I don't think)

Honestly, gonna price out airbnb's and lift tickets and go based on that as well. Don't really expect too much issue with traffic since 10 of the days will likely be during the week.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Of those I think I'd pick Jay, but I've never done Smuggs. Don't sell yourself short on the second half of the month. More likely to get epic spring slush days.

Yes, Killington probably has the biggest party vibe, but I haven't been there in years. Mostly because I don't really like people. :gaah:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So, I'd need to price a few things out, but it looks like I'm not going to be staying on in new england for the rest of my training.

Maybe I should suck it up and just commit and go out west. If you had a couple of weeks to kill where would you go? I think I'm planning on going the Scalpelman route and just saying eff it and enjoying myself if I can make it work.

Otherwise, I'll likely end up heading to Killington I think.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts