Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I cracked my capita indoor survival the other day and need a new board.
Iv'e heard great things about the westmark but im worried ill notice the speed difference with the extruded base.

If anyones ridden the 2013 model and could let me know how the base goes that would be sweet.

The other board ive been looking at is the K2 happy hour. seems to be a great board tech wise just can't find any info on the flex.
if any one knows how the flex would compare to the indoor (or even just a rating out of 10) it would help out heaps.

Cheers for any help:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I just bought a 2013 and would like to know also.
The westmark base is fast. When I picked it up last year I was concerned about it being slow, always assumed extruded was slow and sintered was fast. The westmark base is rapid.

I've only owned three boards prior to my westmark, Rome agent (sintered) and a Rome graft (extruded). The graft was painfully slow and always had to be waxed, the westmark is awesome, comically fast on the flats compared to my friends scallywag and Youngblood.

So can someone explain why some extruded are slow and others are fast?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The westmark base is fast. When I picked it up last year I was concerned about it being slow, always assumed extruded was slow and sintered was fast. The westmark base is rapid.

I've only owned three boards prior to my westmark, Rome agent (sintered) and a Rome graft (extruded). The graft was painfully slow and always had to be waxed, the westmark is awesome, comically fast on the flats compared to my friends scallywag and Youngblood.

Like with anything it comes down to the quality and type of material used. There are crappy sintered bases too.

·
Registered
9,343 Posts
Structure. Until you get below zero structure will have a greater effect on speed than waxing and base material combined.

Personally I think the Happy Hour is just more versatile. Still fun to play around on but more stable and powerful through crud. It's probably similar in flex to the Indoor if not a little stiffer under foot. .

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
AmI correct in thinking that there is no way knowing what the structure of an extruded base is like until you demo it. In the case of the westmark a "fusion base" doesn't tell me a great deal. Where as a board with a x000 rated sintered base is far more telling.

It's funny that my misconceptions regarding extruded bases where confirmed when I owned the graft yet totally destroyed when I first road my westmark.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
AmI correct in thinking that there is no way knowing what the structure of an extruded base is like until you demo it. In the case of the westmark a "fusion base" doesn't tell me a great deal. Where as a board with a x000 rated sintered base is far more telling.

It's funny that my misconceptions regarding extruded bases where confirmed when I owned the graft yet totally destroyed when I first road my westmark.
Structure refers to the ridges and dimples (structurn) cut into the base that allow the water to channel and reduces surface tension/friction. It can also be cut into the base by a shop with the right tools.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts