Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys first thread here so here it goes.....I have been looking like crazy to find a new pair of goggles as last season I sold mine on as they were getting foggy inside, a secondhand pair of Anon's and now the search is on and the more I look the more I think yes they are fashionable bright colours etc.. that is my take in it. Still no joy finding them though. So far I have narrowed it down to a pair of cool looking (well I think so) Spy goggles or Electric or Anon. I can spend about $80NZ as I am only skiing(sorry snowboard) about 4 days ma,x a year which really sucks but as I live so far away well it's a non-stop drive for about 5 and a half hours and it's really expensive travelling accommodation etc... so No need to spend hundreds. What are your thoughts?

Daza.

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
you should wear goggles when snowboarding so your eyeballs don't get all fucksicled.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you should wear goggles when snowboarding so your eyeballs don't get all fucksicled.
Yeah I kinda stuffed up that question eh? obviously they are a necessary thank God. But what I was getting at is they are all so trendy new colours patterns etc... like boards I guess which are the same in that respect.

Anyway looking seriously at a nice pair of Spy goggles can I post a link to them here so you guys can say yeah good or na give them a miss? cheers mate.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Pretty much every piece of gear that is visible is a 'fashion statement.' Go with whatever matches your taste, so long as you're not sacrificing functionality. The coolest looking goggles in the world will still look stupid when you faceplant because it's fogging up on you.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
It can be fashion statement if you can pull it off with skills or steeze. If you are falling on your ass rocking $1k plus gears, people are gonna laugh.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spy makes some good stuff.
Yeah I saw some pro boarders using spy so they would use only good quality ut was Darell Mathews (hope I spelt that correctly?) I will post a couple if links on the ones I like for you guys to check out thanks.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Goggles are functional, and you should be aware of the differences when buying them. Most of the market buys based on what looks cool, so manufacturers will happily take their money. But that's not what you should do.

Things that matter with goggles:
1) Do they fog
2) Are they the right VLT for your conditions

#2 is easy to figure out by looking at specs. #1 is not, and trial and error is expensive. This depends a lot on where you ride, and you can get away with more if you are not in a humid area.

Don't shop based on color though, and don't listen to anything that says a certain color is good for certain conditions. Look at the manufacturer specs.

You don't need a top of the line model to meet your needs if you understand what your needs are.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Yeah I saw some pro boarders using spy so they would use only good quality ut was Darell Mathews (hope I spelt that correctly?) I will post a couple if links on the ones I like for you guys to check out thanks.
Pros don't necessarily care about quality. They don't pay for gear like you and me, they just use whatever their sponsors give them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Goggles are functional, and you should be aware of the differences when buying them. Most of the market buys based on what looks cool, so manufacturers will happily take their money. But that's not what you should do.

Things that matter with goggles:
1) Do they fog
2) Are they the right VLT for your conditions

#2 is easy to figure out by looking at specs. #1 is not, and trial and error is expensive. This depends a lot on where you ride, and you can get away with more if you are not in a humid area.

Don't shop based on color though, and don't listen to anything that says a certain color is good for certain conditions. Look at the manufacturer specs.

You don't need a top of the line model to meet your needs if you understand what your needs are.
SPY 2014 TREVOR INDIGO NIGHT - BLUE SPECTRA LENS | Trade Me Please give these a look over I would appreciate your and anyone else to give their opinion on them taking in to account t I will only be snowboarding 4 -5days this year but plan on doing this every year and moving closer to the mountain in the next 5 years. Thanks. OR will I find better value for money in another brand?

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
SPY 2014 TREVOR INDIGO NIGHT - BLUE SPECTRA LENS | Trade Me Please give these a look over I would appreciate your and anyone else to give their opinion on them taking in to account t I will only be snowboarding 4 -5days this year but plan on doing this every year and moving closer to the mountain in the next 5 years. Thanks. OR will I find better value for money in another brand?
It's usually less about brand and more about lens type and model. If you are looking at Spy, this is one of the important factors: Spy Optic :: Snow Replacement Lens

Personally I would avoid used goggles unless they were almost free, because it's highly likely that someone will have rubbed off the very delicate anti-fog coating on the inside.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's usually less about brand and more about lens type and model. If you are looking at Spy, this is one of the important factors: Spy Optic :: Snow Replacement Lens

Personally I would avoid used goggles unless they were almost free, because it's highly likely that someone will have rubbed off the very delicate anti-fog coating on the inside.
That's good there are replacement lenses for all models there. I think I will buy new those Spy in the link I posted...good ones? or good enough?

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
I wasn't showing you that there are replacement lenses, I was showing you the lens chart for VLT/suitable conditions.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Not to mention, they've been against someone's sweaty face, absorbing all their sweat.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts