Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Hi-fi red has a mighty crack going all the way through on the inside of the helmet. Is this a normal thing that actually makes the helmet differ from slamming into concrete, or i might be looking at a defect?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Most likely a defect. Take it back, or don't trust it for big impacts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guess it's not that mighty, but id does run through. Weird that it appeared right at the corner point where the foam has a detail. Seems more like a design defect than a manufacturing one.

·
Registered
65 Posts
^ agreed. as far as i know, helmets are good for one hard impact. after it has visibly deformed or cracked, it is not nearly as safe anymore

·
Registered
446 Posts
So the shell is fine? You can probably ask Burton, maybe they will send you new foam?

I would trust it still, because its a small crack and doesn't "look" compressed - but a part of me says get a new helmet.

Actually, get a new one period. You know you want to!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New foam?:confused:

I know that the trace helmet seems to have the shell and the foam independently but i always thought that was just poor design or poor quality. I've got another one, a mutiny 2, but i wasted the last gopro mount on the hi-fi before i noticed it was cracked. I think i may have lost the camera and got the crack at the same time.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Bro, I really don't think they are designed with a crack in them like that. The hard outer shell of the helmet is designed to prevent sharp objects from puncturing into the softer "foam" inner shell, which is designed to spread out the impact and essentially self destruct to keep that force from going into your skull. Someone said it earlier but helmets are really only good for one big hit like that and then they're toast. I would definitely get a new one if you can see a visible crack like that. I usually replace my helmet if I know I took a hard impact and can see visible damage to the outer shell, even if I can't see a crack in the inner shell. Sometimes the crack is barely visible due to the cellular structure of the foam, but it can still be there, and if it is, the helmet's ability to save your brain is greatly reduced. Personally I don't think the chance is worth saving the $50-$100.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
That type of EPS foam is designed to crack after a hard impact. That's why it's so firm and one big crash and they're done. If it came that way brand new unused, then no that's not normal.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good thing i noticed. I don't really remember having a major impact like that, except one perhaps but that was last season. I have another one, mutiny II so ill switch to it, but i prefered the hi-fi because it was light, had vents, and good for mounting the gopro.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts