Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Being an Aussie have boarded Perisher/Thredbo all my life.:snowboard4: Went to NZ in '94. Snowed everyday down to the Queenstown Lake....., epic conditions. Boarded Coronets and Remarkables.:snowing:

So I find with my limited experience that there's not much different between Australia and NZ. :chin:

Doesn't seem to be much vegetation up high in the NZ mountains that I've been too. :surprise:

I find now that I can't wait to spend my snowboarding trips in Japan.:wink::snowboard2::snowing:

·
Registered
171 Posts
The nice thing about Japan is the snow is almost guaranteed, especially during peak storm season. We went in 2016 and it was meant to be one of the worst seasons on record but we still got fresh snow 13 days out of a possible 17.

This year we got 2.5m of fresh in 9 days :)

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
NZ is much steeper than Aus in general, and as you've noticed it's all Alpine style terrain, we don't get trees above 1000m, which means all the fun stuff are cliff drops, chutes, and wide open faces. Coronet peak is very mellow, and in '94 the Remarkables didn't have much terrain available, you definitely didn't see the best of it hah.

If you're looking for a different experience that you won't find anywhere else in the world, come to NZ, hire a 4wd, and do a tour of all the club fields. These are non-commercial ski fields, mostly run through the use of tow-ropes where you wear a harness and use a metal clamp to hold onto the rope as it pulls you uphill. You avoid the crowds, get to see the best terrain has to offer, and many of them have on-mountain accommodation options. Typically dormitory style, and everyone helps muck in for lunch and dinner service. My favourite place on earth is Mount Olympus on a powder day, and their lodge for Apres. It has the highest hot tub in NZ, and a gigantic dress ups box, and alcohol is so cheap is should be illegal. Cheapest beer is $2.50 a can, $5 mixers or shots etc.

Some pics I put up a few years back - http://www.snowboardingforum.com/photography-video-other-media/184217-new-zealand-spring-riding.html

Aaaaaand a big write up I did for a different forum;
club fields nz | Boardworld Forums | Australia's Premier Boardsports Community
The video in there was the season we only had our rope tow open for 5 days because of low coverage, and in those 4 or 5 runs in that video I managed to completely destroy that board. Conservative riding because it was all rock underneath... The 2017 season we had it open literally every day of the season, with a few very good dumps on it. Imagine that face with 30cm of fresh on it with a good base :grin:

·
Registered
39 Posts
So I find with my limited experience that there's not much different between Australia and NZ. :chin:
wow that is high praise indeed for Oz, i was not expecting that - i just assumed because of your warm climate that it would've been a bit ho hum especially with the number of ockers coming over to Queenstown in the school holidays.
it's good to know & will keep it in mind.
where would you recommend in OZ? & when's the best time? if i was over there at the right time i'd be keen to check it out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Boarded Coronet today 99% off piste ..was epic best ever early season pow in the 18yrs I've been going up>>

Have been to Canada --all the major South Island fields

Never ever even contemplated going to Aussie ..Aus mates that grew up in the Vic fields didn't rate them outside the very few decent dumps and not to steep ..

the Bulk of the NZ fields you have to hike for the really good parts steeps/bowls /shoots etc

Cardies great fun mountain had a few seasons passes over the years .. not as many advanced sections great park great family mountain (will be taking the kids up during season)

Yes NZ mountains don't have the endless pow or monster size ..but they sure are fun as I found out again today in the back bowls

1 - 6 of 6 Posts