Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

241 - 260 of 276 Posts

·
884 Posts
What's the best season pass from those in the know, Epic or Ikon?

Does Epic cover any NZ resorts, can't see anything listed so I assume not.

I like the Hakuba add on for the Epic but realistically can see more of a chance getting to NZ in mid/late 21 then Japan early 22.

Any pro's or con's to look out for - I'm going to make more effort to hit Aus season this year so I assume 5 days riding will pay for an Epic/Ikon pass knowing the day rates from last season.

·
Registered
48 Posts
What's the best season pass from those in the know, Epic or Ikon?
Any pro's or con's to look out for - I'm going to make more effort to hit Aus season this year so I assume 5 days riding will pay for an Epic/Ikon pass knowing the day rates from last season.
For me it really came down to wanting to do either Perisher+Falls, or Thredbo+Buller. I've essentially ruled out international tickets at this stage, and will deal with it if they pop up.
I committed early so I could lock in cheap accomodation sprinkled throughout the entire season.

·
884 Posts
Mani..., what's a season pass in $NZ???
Pretty sure the Ikon Pass which covers NZ was around $1000 last season.

My main reason for grabbing one is that now I'm committed to getting VFM this season by taking a few trips. If anyone has a floor they need a hobo to camp on and help drink beer hit me up. :)

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Nice! Ikon covers the Queenstown resorts (they already have combined ticketing) and Mt Hutt.

My early bird season pass for Turoa and Whakapapa cost $299 with a free youth season pass. To be fully transparent I only bought a weekday pass because the weekends are crazy here and my kids have football. The full early bird season pass was around $500 with a free youth pass.

We're going to hit Queenstown and Wanaka the week after the July school holidays 👍👍

Also, season passes start selling here at the end of the previous season. Why so late in Oz?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
Nice! Ikon covers the Queenstown resorts (they already have combined ticketing) and Mt Hutt.

My early bird season pass for Turoa and Whakapapa cost $299 with a free youth season pass. To be fully transparent I only bought a weekday pass because the weekends are crazy here and my kids have football. The full early bird season pass was around $500 with a free youth pass.

We're going to hit Queenstown and Wanaka the week after the July school holidays 👍👍
That's like a 2 day ticket at Thredbo/Perisher.

·
884 Posts
Anyone have any good spots for accomm either Perisher area, Falls Creek or Hotham?

·
884 Posts
Anyone done Falls Creek these last few years? Was thinking of booking 5 days with my daughter latish July, how's the cover there usually at that time. Haven't been there for over 10 years. Otherwise Perisher or Hotham.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #255 (Edited)
Falls looks pretty damn nice from the cams. Never been to Vic as it's a 10 hour drive from my joint. @buller_scott is pretty knowledgeable on Vic resorts. I found Perisher was the best for coverage in NSW last year. I don't want to see the lift prices for Australia this year, Saying on Perisher site the Epic pass is paid for in 5 days tickets. So that's $Au180 adult a day. FFS imagine taking family down (2 adults and 2 kids)...., be like $Au2.5k for 5 days lift passes.

·
884 Posts
Criminal I know, I've budgeted $5k for 5 days at One of the resorts including airfares, accommodation, meals and transfers and I've already bought the epic pass. It's BS and they wonder why we go Japow every year.

The Aus snow industry really needs to get together and be innovative in both pricing and offerings to rejuvenate our ski season and stop taking the piss.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #257
Criminal I know, I've budgeted $5k for 5 days at One of the resorts including airfares, accommodation, meals and transfers and I've already bought the epic pass. It's BS and they wonder why we go Japow every year.

The Aus snow industry really needs to get together and be innovative in both pricing and offerings to rejuvenate our ski season and stop taking the piss.
It's around starting $Au1000+ a night to stay on the mountain in Thredbo for an apartment.

·
884 Posts
It's around starting $Au1000+ a night to stay on the mountain in Thredbo for an apartment.
Yeah, that's why I'm looking at Falls Creek as the Alpine Resort is a bit cheaper.

I remember staying at Stables on the mountain at Perisher a few years ago and was going to stay there but when I looked at prices last night it was closer to $2k a night.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #260
Yeah, that's why I'm looking at Falls Creek as the Alpine Resort is a bit cheaper.

I remember staying at Stables on the mountain at Perisher a few years ago and was going to stay there but when I looked at prices last night it was closer to $2k a night.
How do you get there from NT?

241 - 260 of 276 Posts