Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What's happening, Gents?

My name is Kyle, I am 32 years old and going to have my first proper snow season in about 12 years.

I grew up in Northern California riding all the Tahoe resorts, then moved to Bozeman, MT at 15 years old and rode almost daily for 6 seasons.

I raced motocross professionally and worked for the teams, so travel increased and time to dedicate to snowboarding was hard to come by. I kept an old board and found myself on the mountain once every 2-3 years.

I live in El Paso, TX currently - about 6 hours from Taos, NM and other resorts. Life is really starting to stabilize for me, so I bought a season pass and am planning on riding Taos most weekends, as well as fly to some cool destinations this season.

I bought new everything - still waiting on a few items to come in, but have my hands on most of it. I bought a Burton Custom X 162W, X Est bindings and SLX boots. I am 6'1 and 200lbs, very physically fit and can ride aggressively all day.

I'm really far behind on current technology and riding styles, so I was hoping y'all could help fast track me.

When I was younger, I ran a very wide stance with a positive/negative stance. I did a fair amount of park, and found myself switch a lot.

Now, I will not be touching the park and plan on doing more all-mountain riding.

How has foot placement changed in the last 12 years? Where should I start off? It seems boards have changed a lot, and I want to make sure I am starting off with the best chance at a proper set up. I am thinking I will be a bit narrower and less positive/negative than before, but would like some advice on where to start.

Please reach out with any recommendations - I really look forward to getting comfortable on a board again.

Thanks!

Tire Wheel Motorcycle Automotive tire Fuel tank

Light Hood Sports equipment Tire Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
The ultra-wide 24" duck park stance of 12 years ago is a bit out of vogue now because it makes doing just about anything on a snowboard more difficult.

Start with 22" +15/-9 and adjust to your comfort level there. Since you're not planning on riding park you might want to give +/+ angles a shot. But as always, personal preference is what determines your stance.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I know plenty guys on here say they like riding long boards but its not for me. Id rather volume shift. Im 6ft 205ish and I dont like to ride anything over a 158cm. 162w sounds huge too me. But sizing is often preference..

Congrats on diving back in and doing it right.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Head-to-toe Burton.. you’d fit right in at all the SoCal resorts ;)

Jokes aside, great gear. If you’re atheletic enough, and have ridden a lot in the past, the Custom X won’t kill you.

Nidecker makes a good vid as a starting point. The rest is up to your personal preferences.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Nice bike... I mean, snow gear and presentation!

One advantage of the EST binding/board interface is that you can adjust your stance very easily. Start with the recs above or read this recent thread, carry a small tool, and adjust on the fly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for taking the time to respond, gents!

Feel free to rip my set up! I have no idea what's cool or current these days - I remember judging everyone on the mountain when I was a teenager and really cared that every brand I used was considered cool. Now I just want to be comfortable and have the best chance at having epic days.

I chose to go Burton head-to-toe because I feel their stuff is designed to somewhat work together - goggles/balaclava's/helmets work together, board/bindings with the channel mounting etc. I may be wrong in that assumption, they did a good job marketing it to me that way and I took the bait. I just want shit that works well.

Thanks for the feedback and links regarding set up. Helped get me up to speed and I know where I am going to start. I'll be taking advantage of the easy adjustments on the mountain, no doubt.

As for the board, I've heard it can be a workout. I think I can tame the beast, and if it's too much I'll snag another board for everyday use.

Thanks again for the input, feel free to continue with suggestions as I will take them all into consideration.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to respond, gents!

Feel free to rip my set up! I have no idea what's cool or current these days - I remember judging everyone on the mountain when I was a teenager and really cared that every brand I used was considered cool. Now I just want to be comfortable and have the best chance at having epic days.

I chose to go Burton head-to-toe because I feel their stuff is designed to somewhat work together - goggles/balaclava's/helmets work together, board/bindings with the channel mounting etc. I may be wrong in that assumption, they did a good job marketing it to me that way and I took the bait. I just want shit that works well.

Thanks for the feedback and links regarding set up. Helped get me up to speed and I know where I am going to start. I'll be taking advantage of the easy adjustments on the mountain, no doubt.

As for the board, I've heard it can be a workout. I think I can tame the beast, and if it's too much I'll snag another board for everyday use.

Thanks again for the input, feel free to continue with suggestions as I will take them all into consideration.
Big fan of anon goggles and their face masks. I need me one of the AK jackets too.

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
There's nothing wrong with an all-Burton setup, especially that board/binding combo. There's really nothing else that's like the feeling of the Springbed bindings and they go very well with the Custom X. The spring you get out of turns with that setup is very unique.

Most of what you hear about the Custom X being a workout is exaggerated. It's not a fun board to dick around on in the park or butter around the mountain but if you're riding it like it's meant to be ridden it's great.

·
Registered
501 Posts
As said, everybody went back from the huge stance, that felt powerful and made you look cool in baggies… but blew up our knees. Start with directional +/- (+18/-9 ?) and reasonable stance and see what you want from here on.

As an athletic person, you should have no problem riding the Custom-X, even though it's not the most forgiving board around.

·
Super Moderator
1,695 Posts
Heck, no mucking around for you and straight to the point, love it!

I'm sure as a motorcross pro there'll be no easing into this so do what you do and I say and go hard - enjoy the season.

Without being that guy, I'd invest in a good helmet though which I'm sure you'd appreciate - I've got a Giro MIPS Conform Fit which is super comfy.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
What's happening, Gents?

My name is Kyle, I am 32 years old and going to have my first proper snow season in about 12 years.

I grew up in Northern California riding all the Tahoe resorts, then moved to Bozeman, MT at 15 years old and rode almost daily for 6 seasons.

I raced motocross professionally and worked for the teams, so travel increased and time to dedicate to snowboarding was hard to come by. I kept an old board and found myself on the mountain once every 2-3 years.

I live in El Paso, TX currently - about 6 hours from Taos, NM and other resorts. Life is really starting to stabilize for me, so I bought a season pass and am planning on riding Taos most weekends, as well as fly to some cool destinations this season.

I bought new everything - still waiting on a few items to come in, but have my hands on most of it. I bought a Burton Custom X 162W, X Est bindings and SLX boots. I am 6'1 and 200lbs, very physically fit and can ride aggressively all day.

I'm really far behind on current technology and riding styles, so I was hoping y'all could help fast track me.

When I was younger, I ran a very wide stance with a positive/negative stance. I did a fair amount of park, and found myself switch a lot.

Now, I will not be touching the park and plan on doing more all-mountain riding.

How has foot placement changed in the last 12 years? Where should I start off? It seems boards have changed a lot, and I want to make sure I am starting off with the best chance at a proper set up. I am thinking I will be a bit narrower and less positive/negative than before, but would like some advice on where to start.

Please reach out with any recommendations - I really look forward to getting comfortable on a board again.

Thanks!

View attachment 165055
View attachment 165054
Wow- you went all-out on the [ak], Anon, and Burton board/bindings.

Not a bad way to gear up for getting back to riding. Very modern setup. (I love me some [ak] gear).

Looks like you are set for several seasons on the outerwear, goggles, and accessories.
But do not be afraid to venture out of Burton boards/bindings.

Reactions: 16gkid

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Heck, no mucking around for you and straight to the point, love it!

I'm sure as a motorcross pro there'll be no easing into this so do what you do and I say and go hard - enjoy the season.

Without being that guy, I'd invest in a good helmet though which I'm sure you'd appreciate - I've got a Giro MIPS Conform Fit which is super comfy.
A helmet was one of the key pieces I was waiting on when I made this post. I have since recieved an Anon Merak Wavecell - feels comfortable and fits the goggles extremely well!

I am starting with 22" (-2/+22) to begin and will adjust from there. Heading up to Taos this weekend to get everything dialed in! Stoked.

Thanks again for everyone's input!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BTW looking, what size is the board? Seems a lot of tail on the picture.

Envoyé de mon H8324 en utilisant Tapatalk
It's a 162W. Went with a wide to clear my 11.5 boot, I hate dragging toe with a passion.

It likely looks big because I just set the bindings in place, no measurements or mounting hardware. The photos were as I was unpacking my first big box. Felt like Christmas.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts