Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Back In The Game - Modern Setup?

1419 21
What's happening, Gents?

My name is Kyle, I am 32 years old and going to have my first proper snow season in about 12 years.

I grew up in Northern California riding all the Tahoe resorts, then moved to Bozeman, MT at 15 years old and rode almost daily for 6 seasons.

I raced motocross professionally and worked for the teams, so travel increased and time to dedicate to snowboarding was hard to come by. I kept an old board and found myself on the mountain once every 2-3 years.

I live in El Paso, TX currently - about 6 hours from Taos, NM and other resorts. Life is really starting to stabilize for me, so I bought a season pass and am planning on riding Taos most weekends, as well as fly to some cool destinations this season.

I bought new everything - still waiting on a few items to come in, but have my hands on most of it. I bought a Burton Custom X 162W, X Est bindings and SLX boots. I am 6'1 and 200lbs, very physically fit and can ride aggressively all day.

I'm really far behind on current technology and riding styles, so I was hoping y'all could help fast track me.

When I was younger, I ran a very wide stance with a positive/negative stance. I did a fair amount of park, and found myself switch a lot.

Now, I will not be touching the park and plan on doing more all-mountain riding.

How has foot placement changed in the last 12 years? Where should I start off? It seems boards have changed a lot, and I want to make sure I am starting off with the best chance at a proper set up. I am thinking I will be a bit narrower and less positive/negative than before, but would like some advice on where to start.

Please reach out with any recommendations - I really look forward to getting comfortable on a board again.

Thanks!

Tire Wheel Motorcycle Automotive tire Fuel tank

Light Hood Sports equipment Tire Automotive lighting
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
2,197 Posts
The ultra-wide 24" duck park stance of 12 years ago is a bit out of vogue now because it makes doing just about anything on a snowboard more difficult.

Start with 22" +15/-9 and adjust to your comfort level there. Since you're not planning on riding park you might want to give +/+ angles a shot. But as always, personal preference is what determines your stance.

· Premium Member
2,197 Posts
There's nothing wrong with an all-Burton setup, especially that board/binding combo. There's really nothing else that's like the feeling of the Springbed bindings and they go very well with the Custom X. The spring you get out of turns with that setup is very unique.

Most of what you hear about the Custom X being a workout is exaggerated. It's not a fun board to dick around on in the park or butter around the mountain but if you're riding it like it's meant to be ridden it's great.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts