Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Back In The Game - Modern Setup?

1419 21
What's happening, Gents?

My name is Kyle, I am 32 years old and going to have my first proper snow season in about 12 years.

I grew up in Northern California riding all the Tahoe resorts, then moved to Bozeman, MT at 15 years old and rode almost daily for 6 seasons.

I raced motocross professionally and worked for the teams, so travel increased and time to dedicate to snowboarding was hard to come by. I kept an old board and found myself on the mountain once every 2-3 years.

I live in El Paso, TX currently - about 6 hours from Taos, NM and other resorts. Life is really starting to stabilize for me, so I bought a season pass and am planning on riding Taos most weekends, as well as fly to some cool destinations this season.

I bought new everything - still waiting on a few items to come in, but have my hands on most of it. I bought a Burton Custom X 162W, X Est bindings and SLX boots. I am 6'1 and 200lbs, very physically fit and can ride aggressively all day.

I'm really far behind on current technology and riding styles, so I was hoping y'all could help fast track me.

When I was younger, I ran a very wide stance with a positive/negative stance. I did a fair amount of park, and found myself switch a lot.

Now, I will not be touching the park and plan on doing more all-mountain riding.

How has foot placement changed in the last 12 years? Where should I start off? It seems boards have changed a lot, and I want to make sure I am starting off with the best chance at a proper set up. I am thinking I will be a bit narrower and less positive/negative than before, but would like some advice on where to start.

Please reach out with any recommendations - I really look forward to getting comfortable on a board again.

Thanks!

Tire Wheel Motorcycle Automotive tire Fuel tank

Light Hood Sports equipment Tire Automotive lighting
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
510 Posts
As said, everybody went back from the huge stance, that felt powerful and made you look cool in baggies… but blew up our knees. Start with directional +/- (+18/-9 ?) and reasonable stance and see what you want from here on.

As an athletic person, you should have no problem riding the Custom-X, even though it's not the most forgiving board around.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts