Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Its crap like this that methinks the its not only politics but the legal arena has gone batshit crazy. Perhaps Brazil should sue Amazon? I have in years past gotten things from Backcountry and their other sites of Steep and Cheap and Gear Trade. But for the past few years have gone to more small specialized/boutique and local retailers to support these vital entrepreneurs. Fuck corporatocracy

·
Registered
36 Posts
Oh you Americans love a bit of litigation! This is fucked though, its kind of like trademarking 'ski' or 'snow' or something. I remember 'back in the day' all Burton outerwear in the UK had the labels cut off for a few years due to legal action from a high street menswear chain, also called Burton. They settled on 13 made to look like a B, think I still have some pants somewhere.

·
Registered
362 Posts
people in my area are thinking of boycotting the website. I don't blame them, $$^^& this #@!!^ backcountry
Ditto. Fuck that shit. WE should boycott the use of the word backcountry. How about changing to outbackcountry? Throw away the goat stickers.

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,143 Posts
...guess I'm gonna hafta peel the goat sticker off my kayak.

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,143 Posts
Peel that shit! Peel that shit!
I was thinking of coloring the white goat black with a sharpie
Maybe I can work it so that the Sasquatch stickers I have from my Outdoor Tech Chips audio, look like they're banging the BC goat. 🤷‍♂️🤣🤣

I went back & read the entire 1st article from the Colorado Sun, and IMO BC.com goes waaay beyond Douche Canoe!! 😡

I'm with others and won't be purchasing from them again. But that won't matter for shit to them unless it becomes an industry (...snowsport & outdoor activity) wide protest!

I intend to write an angry email to the company's website clearly stating my disgust regarding their litigious policy & encourage others to do the same.

Unless & until they discontinue their "legal" bullying? I will no longer be a customer.

Lets see how long they have a viable Ecommerce company when EVERYONE who enjoys the backcountry refuses to shop with them.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Maybe I can work it so that the Sasquatch stickers I have from my Outdoor Tech Chips audio, look like they're banging the BC goat. 🤷‍♂️🤣🤣

I went back & read the entire 1st article from the Colorado Sun, and IMO BC.com goes waaay beyond Douche Canoe!! 😡

I'm with others and won't be purchasing from them again. But that won't matter for shit to them unless it becomes an industry (...snowsport & outdoor activity) wide protest!

I intend to write an angry email to the company's website clearly stating my disgust regarding their litigious policy & encourage others to do the same.

Unless & until they discontinue their "legal" bullying? I will no longer be a customer.

Lets see how long they have a viable Ecommerce company when EVERYONE who enjoys the backcountry refuses to shop with them.
Everyone won't..............bunch of ostriches.......with their head in the sand...............

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Backcountry used to be in my rotation of 3 or 4 sites I'd check more frequently than I should. Now I hardly go there. For me I always preferred the simplicity of their dogfunk site for browsing and finding things. Once they dropped that and redid their websites to the current format I tend to not visit it as much. I do get emails a few times a year from my 'personal account manager' asking me to buy more stuff in a not so direct manner.

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haven't had time, but was going to check if TGR brohteren had plans. However, I will chat with the chatters and tell them my thoughts and encourage them to pass it up ...and that I will no longer be shopping at any of their sites and will be encouraging all my PNW outdoor/BC friends to boycott them. Also think I will order some goat stickers to hack up, by perhaps getting a small piece of red electrical tape and do up a big red dong into the rear end of the goat. Anyone know if they have a BIG goat sticker for the back window of my truck?

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I used to be a semi-frequent customer, but they have officially lost me. I might even write an email telling them why...
In fact, wife asked for a Christmas want list and the things I thought of were on their website, but I directed her elsewhere. I think/hope that this behavior bites them in the wallet.

also read that Flylow is bailing on them. Steep & Cheap is owned by BC.com, BTW

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Definitely not great, but for anyone who doesn't know, Backcountry is owned by the multi billion dollar TSG private equity firm. It's an investment company and has been for years. Something like this isn't really a surprise when you know this. It also means while we all scan boycott and be upset, we're not going to make the smallest dink in their wallet.

That being said to hell with these business practices. It's like Lebron James trying to trademark Taco Tuesday or Ohio St trademarking "The". I actually support most capitalism but stuff like this is just ridiculous. Amazing they got the trademark.

·
Registered
146 Posts
So, the ways trademarks work is that they are extremely specific. For example, “Black Flag” the band can trademark the name as it relates specifically to merchandising and musical recordings (they would need and have a trademark for each of these, however) while “Black Flag” the bug killer can trademark (and has one) the name as it relates to insecticide.

Commonly used terms tend to be rejected by the trademark and patent office and, given how many existing businesses already used the term “backcountry” generically, I’m surprised that bc.com was able to get the term registered. Here is a list of the live and dead trademarks associated with the term “ backcountry”

If you click on the term, you can get more information. It appears that bc.com has registered the term “backcountry” as it relates to several fields. I clicked on a couple of them. One was as it relates to Bike racks, another was Bike tubes and another one as it relates to skiing and snowboarding tools as well as bindings etc

What you can expect: Backcountry.com is in the process of launching their own brands across the board. In some sense, it was a genius move to capitalize off the fact that no one else had seized the opportunity relates to the term. I also think that any or all of these smaller businesses should have trademarked their respective names when forming their businesses (ie “Backcounty Denim” should have trademarked before manufacturing) and should have appealed bc.com’s application. Dick move? Maybe. Legal? Apparently so. Did a bunch of small businesses drop the ball of best practices? Absolutely.

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,143 Posts
You can find a LOT more info on this subject and the growing social media baclash against BC.crum by following the facebook group BoycottbackcountryDOTcom.
Agnarchy.com has some excellent articles on the subject as well.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts